British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Time To Crack Down On The Aussies?

True but why would he do that, unless he also got a Swedish place?

Well possibly his Polish club might not let him race in the UK. That would be one possible reason.

Not saying stop them riding abroad just that if we have an arranged fixture then that takes priority over a rearranged fixture in Poland.The way its always been until this season when the Poles who want it all their own way changed the ball game.

I did mention a financial clause in my 1st post.

I'd say if you want to lock riders into a contract for 6 years there would also need to be a commitment to give them a job and pay them for 6 years. Otherwise I can't see how the contract would be legal?
  • Like 1

Pretty simple really, if you don't like the way they treat UK Speedway, don't give them a Team place, let them learn their trade in the Aussie Leagues, with their great tracks and high wages.

• Like 1

Well possibly his Polish club might not let him race in the UK. That would be one possible reason.

I'd say if you want to lock riders into a contract for 6 years there would also need to be a commitment to give them a job and pay them for 6 years. Otherwise I can't see how the contract would be legal?

you question how a British contract that just asks for priority would be legal.

Yet you state that a Polish club might not let a British rider ride in his own country because he has signed a contract with them and not even mentioned that this could have its own legal problems as well.(Going along with your line of thought to avoid legal problems would this contract have to guarantee that the rider gets a team place for every meeting.)

Sorry on this point I do not understand your logic.

Edited by B.V 72

you question how a British contract that just asks for priority would be legal.

Yet you state that a Polish club might not let a British rider ride in his own country because he has signed a contract with them and not even mentioned that this could have its own legal problems as well.

Sorry on this point I do not understand your logic.

Polish clubs ask for a commitment once a rider has signed to a team. If the Polish club "drops" the rider, then they are under no obligation to that club.

You are proposing a rider commits to a 6-8 year long contract prioritising British speedway, without any clubs offering a similar commitment to employ that rider over the period of the contract.

• Like 1

Polish clubs ask for a commitment once a rider has signed to a team. If the Polish club "drops" the rider, then they are under no obligation to that club.

You are proposing a rider commits to a 6-8 year long contract prioritising British speedway, without any clubs offering a similar commitment to employ that rider over the period of the contract.

All I am saying is that in return for taking a chance on a young Aussie possibly paying his 1st year flight over finding accommodation and other help that they just agree to give the British clubs priority for set fixtures over re-arranged fixtures abroad like it has been for years until the Poles changed things this year.

What do the Poles ask for you cannot ride in other leagues maybe only one other next year and that you have to ride in a rearranged fixture for us if there is a clash with an arranged fixture with another club even though you have signed a contract with them as well.

Somehow there has to be some sort of stand against the Poles or do you think we should roll over and die thats what the Poles are doing they are playing a big part in killing off British speedway.

If there was no British league do you thick the Poles will be prepared to give the aussies their first chance like we do.More the case that Australian riders would die out as well.

Edited by B.V 72

How many Aussies have ever been left on the sidelines so far without any commitment to them ?

This season alone sedgeman tun gate holder and Batchelor. Which is fine but not if that meant they couldn't ride overseas for 6 years

Somehow there has to be some sort of stand against the Poles or do you think we should roll over and die thats what the Poles are doing they are killing off British speedway.

Or, we could avoid arranging fixtures on a Sunday, which is when the vast majority of Polish fixtures are held. It's not rocket science.

Or, we could avoid arranging fixtures on a Sunday, which is when the vast majority of Polish fixtures are held. It's not rocket science.

Its not just that is it I believe that the Poles have a new tv contract and now ride on other days as well to suit them clashes or not.

Plus as reported if next year they restrict riders to one other league then next year we loose Lindgren.Holder,Kasprzak.Fricke,Doyle.Plus any other riders that get a place in their top league.(if they keep it just for the top league more if not)

So next year clashes will not be a problem because none of them will be riding here for there to be a clash.

So just to go back to my original point some posters seem to have problem with asking the Australians to sign a priority contract for a time period with no clause stopping them riding in any other league in exchange for giving them a chance of a speedway carrier.

But seem ok with a contract that restricts riders to 2 leagues stopping them (if they wish to) earning wages from 2 other leagues of which they have always been able to do.In doing so helping to destroy those leagues by monopolising the top riders strange.

Edited by B.V 72

This season alone sedgeman tun gate holder and Batchelor. Which is fine but not if that meant they couldn't ride overseas for 6 years

No one said that they cannot ride overseas for 6 years just that the British club takes priority over any rearranged fixtures abroad over that period.Any rider that is good enough will already be riding for clubs abroad at the time they are dropped just like Holder.Batchelor and Tungate are now.

Any lower order ride that has no team abroad that gets dropped is in the same position as any British rider that gets dropped its just the nature of the sport.

• Like 1

No one said that they cannot ride overseas for 6 years just that the British club takes priority over any rearranged fixtures abroad over that period.Any rider that is good enough will already be riding for clubs abroad at the time they are dropped just like Holder.Batchelor and Tungate are now.

Any lower order ride that has no team abroad that gets dropped is in the same position as any British rider that gets dropped its just the nature of the sport.

ok , that I think could be made to work. If a promoter pays for an Aussie to come over, simply say that those costs are owed by the rider to the club, however if the rider rides in the UK for say 5 seasons the loan will be wiped out. The rider would also not be liable to pay if he is not offered a contract, however would be liable to pay if he breached within that 5 year period the terms of his contract, which would include giving priority of a UK fixture over any foreign contract.

Year by year the contract could include a clause in which the rider committed to five priority to his British club. Signing such a contract would be a pre requisite for the BSPA supporting the riders VISA application.

The reality though I imagine is that if the rider did get a Polish club making an offer, that the rider would be likely to take that as the financial benefit would outweigh having to pay back any bond.

Maybe they need to be tougher with the visa's.Only get a visa if they give priority and if they start playing up inform the authorities who will hopefully take the visa away.No nonsense accepted

Maybe they need to be tougher with the visa's.Only get a visa if they give priority and if they start playing up inform the authorities who will hopefully take the visa away.No nonsense accepted

Not sure if the visa is the right tool for the job. It's only a permit by the Home Office / UK Border Agency to allow someone into the country. I don't think that "personnel management" issues are anything that the Govt, Agencies will want to get involved in.

You could restict riders according to other means though. They have to be licenced and insured...juggle the licencing regulations and bump up the premiums for non-UK nationals. The problem is that if a promoter wants a rider, from wherever they are from, they will find a loophole to get him into the country by fair means or otherwise. Just ask Matt Fraud. He'll tell you how.

surely that's only championship clubs, which begs the question if they are good enough for Poland's top league, why are they in a cl team? Edited by Badge
  • Like 1

If a promoter pays for an Aussie to come over, simply say that those costs are owed by the rider to the club, however if the rider rides in the UK for say 5 seasons the loan will be wiped out.

I'd think that's most likely illegal. It would effectively be paying an employer to sponsor a visa and could be construed as trafficking.

It's wrong anyway. If you're wanted and needed by an employer, then they should be covering the costs, and if they want a longer term commitment then nothing is stopping them offering a longer contract. Every employer hiring an untried and untested employee runs the risk of them moving on to a better job - speedway is no different.

I'd think that's most likely illegal. It would effectively be paying an employer to sponsor a visa and could be construed as trafficking.

It's wrong anyway. If you're wanted and needed by an employer, then they should be covering the costs, and if they want a longer term commitment then nothing is stopping them offering a longer contract. Every employer hiring an untried and untested employee runs the risk of them moving on to a better job - speedway is no different.

I've recently moved country. My employer covered all the relocation costs and an extra lump sum payment. If I leave within 2 years I have to repay a prorate portion. Similarly I've had the scenario where my study was paid for,if I left within a certain time period I would have had to repay it.

I don't see how that is any different here. If the rider is not given a contract for the stipulated period there would be no requirement to pay it back.