British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Is This Swindon Team The Best Of Recent Times?

Did it include draws or successive wins?

Both were successive wins.

• Like 1

1972, Belle Vue, played 34, won 31, drawn 1, lost 2. I've no idea how many consecutive wins but I think that record beats 14 consecutive wins, never mind there being no comparison in the quality of the teams.

I have a recollection that someone also bettered Belle Vue's record but I can't remember who or when it was.

Who really cares if it's the best run or not. I'm just enjoying this run of wins after the dodgy start we had. Hopefully we can replicate what Coventry did under Roscoe, when they too had a dodgy start to the season.

• Like 2

Swindon are the top team this season but in the overall scheme of things i think even 2nd division Arena Essex from 1991 could take them over two legs, The Hammers sent both top flight Eastbourne and Coventry packing that season in the British League cup.

But they don't need to be the best team ever to win the league this season, just being better than the rest will be enough, it still counts as a league title.

Swindon are the top team this season but in the overall scheme of things i think even 2nd division Arena Essex from 1991 could take them over two legs, The Hammers sent both top flight Eastbourne and Coventry packing that season in the British League cup.

But they don't need to be the best team ever to win the league this season, just being better than the rest will be enough, it still counts as a league title.

Is that when they had Karger and Petersen? Who else was in the side.

Who really cares if it's the best run or not. I'm just enjoying this run of wins after the dodgy start we had. Hopefully we can replicate what Coventry did under Roscoe, when they too had a dodgy start to the season.

Rosco definitely one of the best managers of recent times, winning it with Swindon and Coventry.

After Big Ron had led the Robins the year before to that dismal bottom spot, total pants, but the fans didn't give up. First year without Adams, and Scotty number 1.

Hans Nielsen was the best speedway rider I have ever seen.

The only rider who I ever witnessed leading him was Jimmy Nilsen for two laps at the abbey....sadly he didn't hold on.

• Like 1

Rosco definitely one of the best managers of recent times, winning it with Swindon and Coventry.

After Big Ron had led the Robins the year before to that dismal bottom spot, total pants, but the fans didn't give up. First year without Adams, and Scotty number 1.

Arrgghh! I had managed to forget that season too - will need to go lie down now!

• Like 2

The only rider who I ever witnessed leading him was Jimmy Nilsen for two laps at the abbey....sadly he didn't hold on.

Proud that Wolves discovered Nielsen and brought him over at the age of 16. Watched him in the pre-season practice. He went round Bruce Cribb on the back straight and then hugged the line round bends 3 and 4. I thought that will do..............😁

Blimey better than Fundin, Briggs, Mauger.

Is that when they had Karger and Petersen? Who else was in the side.

Andy Galvin, Alan Mogridge, Troy Pratt, Colin White and Paul Hurry.

• Like 1

Greatness is transient.

There have been (not many) riders that for a while have been unbeatable. I remember Ole having a purple patch when he was at Coventry. He went everywhere and it was big news if he dropped a point. One trophy after another, league racing was a guaranteed maximum in every meeting. Almost boring. But it didn't last. Was he less of a champion after that? No, of course not. But absolutely imperious, no. The difference between really good and jaw droppingly great is very small. But PC at his best, Bruce, Ivan, and a small handful of others at their best have experienced that feeling of invincibility, What must that be like?

• Like 1

I don't remember fundin...

Remember "a win in red for Barry Briggs" as I was collecting the hubbly bubbly bottles as a kid.

Still think Nielsen was the best.....the man in oz says the same.

• Like 1

Greatness is transient.

There have been (not many) riders that for a while have been unbeatable. I remember Ole having a purple patch when he was at Coventry. He went everywhere and it was big news if he dropped a point. One trophy after another, league racing was a guaranteed maximum in every meeting. Almost boring. But it didn't last. Was he less of a champion after that? No, of course not. But absolutely imperious, no. The difference between really good and jaw droppingly great is very small. But PC at his best, Bruce, Ivan, and a small handful of others at their best have experienced that feeling of invincibility, What must that be like?

I remember a Sunday afternoon in March, 1977 when I won 3 consecutive games of snap. That aura of invincibility was something special. I spoke to Ivan Mauger about it and he said he had experienced something similar although obviously at a lesser level.

I don't remember fundin...

Remember "a win in red for Barry Briggs" as I was collecting the hubbly bubbly bottles as a kid.

Still think Nielsen was the best.....the man in oz says the same.

If you'd seen him you wouldn't have forgotten him. He was an even harder rider than Nicki Pederson! Virtually unbeatable on his day & oh how the opposition loved to hate him!

• Like 1