British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

Just tried to watch this afternoon's replay of Poole vs Swindon on my laptop at my inlaws who have BT Internet with BT Sport. Yes, I got the meeting but the left third of the screen was taken up by a panel showing football scores which changed every few seconds and the bottom quarter by a panel with a constantly running football news ribbon. This not only knocked the speedway down to just over half the screen but also made it completely unwatchable, so I gave up and watched it on YouTube instead. If I tune to a channel showing 2 hrs of speedway, why does BT Sport think I actually want to see 2 hrs of football scores and news? So glad I don't subscribe to BT Sport .......

Just tried to watch this afternoon's replay of Poole vs Swindon on my laptop at my inlaws who have BT Internet with BT Sport. Yes, I got the meeting but the left third of the screen was taken up by a panel showing football scores which changed every few seconds and the bottom quarter by a panel with a constantly running football news ribbon. This not only knocked the speedway down to just over half the screen but also made it completely unwatchable, so I gave up and watched it on YouTube instead. If I tune to a channel showing 2 hrs of speedway, why does BT Sport think I actually want to see 2 hrs of football scores and news? So glad I don't subscribe to BT Sport .......

I have watched BT Sport on my tablet, and I now get it on my TV and have not had anything like that at all. Just a screen full of speedway.

If you want to see it properly this is fine

Video full English commentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIAlCSFNNlo

short version all heats Polish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Annv6tzMH1Y

Most likely due to their commentary position.

Maybe a reason, but I suspect that if Tatum were to be the main race commentator, these problems wouldn't occur anywhere near as much, as he seems able to read races and of course as a former rider has a clear advantage in that.

Chris Louis would make a decent sidekick for him.

• Like 1

Did find their Poole bias a little bit sickening last night tbh, they kept repeating that after 2 heats that Poole could have been 10-2 up blah blah!! And made themselves look foolish over tactical, for goodness sake it's an aggregate score over 2 legs you Muppets, how would it be fair to allow only 1 team the opportunity to use it!! Peterborough v reading final cough cough. Anyway that's just my opinion!!

I personally like the more casual approach by the BT transmission over the Sky one, so hopefully we get more next season, however Rob I do think there is some merit in saying that live speedway is losing fans, that have turned into armchair fans.

Yet again the assumption that people watch on TV instead of going to matches.

Isn't it possible for people to do both or is there some unwritten rule I haven't stumbled across over the years?

We might get a few back but would they compensate for the lost sponsors?

Where were all the Swindon fans last night, apart from the 20 Mr Shoveller mentions?

Watching on tv, rather than attending!

One of the BT channels is like SkySports news but showing a programme to. On the TV it says to switch to channel ? For full screen

A reasonable thought.

But do they not have a screen showing them the pictures we are receiving at home?

On Saturday it was obvious something was amiss with that; as has been been confirmed by Philip Rising.

But for a couple of races the 'calling' of positions and judgement was so awry that I thought he was doing the job blindfold.

THEY watch the actual racing, their TV monitors are quite small and often affected by daylight.

THEY watch the actual racing, their TV monitors are quite small and often affected by daylight.

How strange. That sounds so primitive/

Bearing in mind the importance of their role.

You would think it worthwhile some attempting to improve that situation.

I think it must be nigh on impossible to watch on a screen when you're so close to the action (and noise) as NP & KT usually are, certainly not easy to swap between both track & screen as the time it would take to re-focus would make it impossible to keep up with the action. We have to remember how a speedway race is just about the most intense 60 seconds of any sport you could mention.

I'm not their biggest fan by any stretch but I try to cut them a bit of slack these days, I can't think of anyone better equipped for the job at present and I'm just so glad we have any speedway to watch at all considering the state of the sport.

Can't say I noticed any Poole bias from them last night either, they just fill the space with whatever they have in mind at the time in an attempt to make it more interesting for new/casual viewers, although Kelvin is getting on my t!ts by using the term dirtometer every week, it was an acceptable, mildly funny line for a couple of weeks but ffs Kelv you've worn it out now, drop it there's a good chap..

Edited by nw42

Did find their Poole bias a little bit sickening last night tbh, they kept repeating that after 2 heats that Poole could have been 10-2 up blah blah!!

I would hardly regard them as biased towards Poole. Given the seemingly widespread expectation that Swindon might win the first leg quite handily, perhaps it was merely an effort to underline the potential for a close encounter and keep viewing figures up?

• Like 1

I would hardly regard them as biased towards Poole. Given the seemingly widespread expectation that Swindon might win the first leg quite handily, perhaps it was merely an effort to underline the potential for a close encounter and keep viewing figures up?

as I said in my post it was just my opinion.

I'm an Ipswich fan so PL results are irrelevant to me apart from when witches riders are racing as Kyle was!! Loved his 2 references to Ipswich in his interview, good lad is Kyle, hope he's a Witch for a long time.

I think it must be nigh on impossible to watch on a screen when you're so close to the action (and noise) as NP & KT usually are, certainly not easy to swap between both track & screen as the time it would take to re-focus would make it impossible to keep up with the action. We have to remember how a speedway race is just about the most intense 60 seconds of any sport you could mention.

I'm not their biggest fan by any stretch but I try to cut them a bit of slack these days, I can't think of anyone better equipped for the job at present and I'm just so glad we have any speedway to watch at all considering the state of the sport.

Can't say I noticed any Poole bias from them last night either, they just fill the space with whatever they have in mind at the time in an attempt to make it more interesting for new/casual viewers, although Kelvin is getting on my t!ts by using the term dirtometer every week, it was an acceptable, mildly funny line for a couple of weeks but ffs Kelv you've worn it out now, drop it there's a good chap..

Agree with all of this as I feel they do add a lot to my enjoyment of any meeting. But oddly the dirtometer really amuses me as he is after all only making a comment on the state of the track with his invaluable tool. I want to know where can I get one? Is Briggo marketing them now?

As for the coverage the BT Player is an excellent service where you can watch all of the meetings ( and without the commercials!) 9 /10

Edited by waytogo28
  • Like 1

How hard is it for a TV director to ensure the shot we see being the best bits of a race ? Lovely close up's of one rider are fine but not when the other three riders are racing closely and over taking.