British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions V Peterborough Panthers ( S G B Championship) - Sunday, August 20th (5.30pm)

Some hungry fish out here tonight.

who is fishing who ?

Peterborough more than contributed to an entertaining meeting...score swung one way then the other, at the mid point it looked like the result could go either way, thankfully for us Scorpions, we came good in the end.

Jorgensen's pass on Aarnio and Auty in heat 11 was simply sublime, who's to say Harris or Holder could've pulled that move off? it was simply brilliant.. BWD also executed a great pass. Starke, Ulrika and Lambert all had some good moments for Boro.

Auty and Douglas were particularly impressive for Scunny though. Kerr impressed too after another slow start. Scunny reserves both suffered mechanical gremlins but to their credit came up with some vital points.

Obviously the lack of Jack Holder was the big issue for Peterborough, maybe his appearance would've made a big difference to the scoreline....and perhaps to the match points.

Obviously the lack of Jack Holder was the big issue for Peterborough, maybe his appearance would've made a big difference to the scoreline....and perhaps to the match points.

Not just this rider but this an ever increasing problem for British speedway. Fans will only take so much and the problem is that they are walking away from the sport already.

Not just this rider but this an ever increasing problem for British speedway. Fans will only take so much and the problem is that they are walking away from the sport already.

I have been to all the Peterborough matches at Scunthorpe over the last two years and the attendances have always been dire ( a few hundred at most) with Panthers fans probably making up 50% of the attendance.

) with Panthers fans probably making up 50% of the attendance.

what utter s h y te

• Like 1

An entertaining meeting but fell well short of the quality of racing that I normally see at Scunthorpe.

I would think Rob will be glad to see that his season over and plan for 2018.....injury riddled season has ruined the season for Scunthorpe.

I have been to all the Peterborough matches at Scunthorpe over the last two years and the attendances have always been dire ( a few hundred at most) with Panthers fans probably making up 50% of the attendance.

Fair play to those Panthers fans who made the trip up to Scunny on Sunday but they didn't make up anywhere near 50% of the attendance.

Fair play to those Panthers fans who made the trip up to Scunny on Sunday but they didn't make up anywhere near 50% of the attendance.

You must have had a couple of hundred hiding in the club house then either that or a fair amount of them were wearing red or black clothing. But the bottom line is it was still only a few hundred in total.

And Godfrey confirms it in the star today, he wants or needs 500 to break even next Sunday.

So what's he doing to get that annount or more? Words on a press release are not enough all the time.

• Like 1

That is the problem with our PR & advertising. A little bit on twitter, advertising board on a trailer deck on the circle at the stadium & reports in telegraph.

We have Lincolnshire bike nights, scooter run outs, motorcycle shops with NO advertising. There is nothing in the town centre, Ashby, public houses, clubs advertising our sport.

Speculate to Accumulate is a saying but getting out and about, hardly anybody knows of Speedway existing in our town bar the hard core supporters & whether the low attendance last weekend was down to 2 riders not attending, which if you follow speedway, you would know the reasons, or down to a side having another poor season(this is the third on the trot), it shows entertainment is not the main factor for attendance, winning is. As proven last night at Sheffield's "ftg" track these last few years, the success this year has brought more support.

You have to give people incentives to go, having a good racetrack isn't always the incentive. Speedway tracks are years behind in trying to get people into stadiums.

• Like 1

As I have said before promoters should look at their name..PROMOTE. i.e. Advertising, posters, flyers, local & national news (never hear anything, even results on 5 Live sport). Even silly things, like painting tractors in team colours instead of looking scruffy, makes the sport look a bit more professional.

This is 21st century Not 1970's.

As I have said before promoters should look at their name..PROMOTE. i.e. Advertising, posters, flyers, local & national news (never hear anything, even results on 5 Live sport). Even silly things, like painting tractors in team colours instead of looking scruffy, makes the sport look a bit more professional.

This is 21st century Not 1970's.

Bratters always worth a read on such occasions:

During my time at Peterborough, I have done everything humanly possible to attract newcomers to our sport and all I might add on little or no budget. I have presented to over 2500 kids in various schools road show initiatives, I have invited and hosted whole organisations along for free and whole streets along for free. I have put up banners and posters, I have given away 1000’s of (sponsored) car stickers and more kids goodie bags than you can shake a stick at. I have offered free admission to members of the thriving local Polish club (one person came – once), 2 for 1 offers, Kids for a quid and Kids for free. We have on occasions been overrun by hundreds of Scout groups and I have undertaken umpteen radio interviews and quite a few local TV vox pops. I have put leaflets in newspapers, I have put leaflets through letterboxes, I have handed leaflets out in shopping malls and I have put 1000’s of leaflets on cars (with apologies to the owner of the Blue Vauxhall Astra in the Peterborough Railway Station Car Park in September 2007, honestly, it really did come off in my hand, so it must have already been broken). You name it and I’ve pretty much done it and all the time, our attendances have remained constant. Constantly poor. A successful team will bring you big crowds, but this is only a short term fix and as all Speedway aficionados’ know, and only to well, success in Speedway will never happen, year on year, it can’t, for the sport would simply die.

from 2010 Bratters' final Panthers blog on "Lovespeedway24"

Edited by Crump99

It is strange that even when it's free not many people take up the offer. Once the die hard lemmings are gone, so is league speedway, and looking at most crowds, most die hards are very much on their way to being gone .

Edited by baldyman