British Speedway Forum
Chris116

Promotion And Relegation

I might be wrong but did they not abandon it once season when Ist tried when Swindon were going to be the Team involved in relegation!

No matter which club a particular rider lines up for it seems to me that they're on a hiding to nothing , one set of fans is going to accuse him of not trying

maybe any rider with a 'conflict of interest', should not be able to take part and, each team should have to use guests.

• Like 2

I might be wrong but did they not abandon it once season when Ist tried when Swindon were going to be the Team involved in relegation!

That was the early nineties I think when Arena Essex won the 2nd division and Swindon finished bottom of div 1 . Swindon got a stay of execution , but then finished bottom again the following season and did drop down . Ultimately it didn't do them too much harm as they were able to sign Jason Crump from Peterborough and reached the KO Cup final where they lost to Glasgow .

• Like 1

maybe any rider with a 'conflict of interest', should not be able to take part and, each team should have to use guests.

so in what possible sense would they be teams?

credible teams anyway

In the distant past when they have had so called promotion/relegation then there was an option to refuse to go up even if their team won the promotion/relegation battle.

Is the result confirming where these teams will ride or is there still an opt out clause ?

I remember with fondness the last real attempt to have promotion and relegation. Back in 1991 I was quite gullible and actually thought it would be a huge success. It reignited some end of season matches that otherwise would have meant nothing at Belle Vue - I recall relegation-threatened Eastbourne turning up at Belle Vue and not just lying down but fighting for every point - Andy Grahame had a 6 ride maximum even. I recall Hans Nielsen-led Oxford, facing the drop, in another end of season thriller at Kirky Lane.

In the end Swindon finished bottom and should have been relegated. They even sacked Andrew Silver for failing to arrive for their relegation four -pointer at Eastboure (I think it was). But they (Swindon) cried off, one of their gripes being that they'd have to close if they were forced to take relegation, so they were allowed a stay of execution.

The idea filtered out after that. But, even better than the Play-Offs, I enjoyed that brief fling... Oh, and that Arena Essex were more than happy to take their place in the top flight after sweeping all before them in Division Two during 1991.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

To be honest - I can't wait to see what will happen at the end of this Season. Will a Team go up? Will a Team go down? Will a Team stay where they are? Will a Team lose on purpose? Will both Teams want to win? Will both Teams want to lose? Who will ride for who? Who will Guest for who? Will Team 'A' be a Team or just a collection of riders? Will Team 'B' be a Team or just a collection of riders?

You have to laugh - don't you?

Plenty of questions here. I look forward to them being answered in the fullness of time.

Interesting times ahead.

Is it best, for promotion-relegation to ever work, for speedway to work within the budget of what the poorest clubs can pay? Speedway 2017 in the UK is about the weakest I've ever seen, so perhaps that is the BSPA's plan.

Oh, and while I can still remember 1991... Milton Keynes, the unfashionables, made a cheeky approach to sign Simon Wigg that summer, to help them gain promotion. I know it wouldn't have ever happened, but I found that brilliant.

Edited by moxey63

for a league to work it has to work for Scunthorpe, Worky, Redcar, etc - not just Poole, Wolves, BV etc

• Like 5

To be honest - I can't wait to see what will happen at the end of this Season. Will a Team go up? Will a Team go down? Will a Team stay where they are? Will a Team lose on purpose? Will both Teams want to win? Will both Teams want to lose? Who will ride for who? Who will Guest for who? Will Team 'A' be a Team or just a collection of riders? Will Team 'B' be a Team or just a collection of riders?

You have to laugh - don't you?

Plenty of questions here. I look forward to them being answered in the fullness of time.

Interesting times ahead.

the current state of the premiership i wouldn't be surprised to see teams actually want to be relegated .out of the mire created by too many foreigners pandering to Polish needs ,. definiitely wouldn't want to see a thriving championship club thrown in to the mire of Premiership and wind up closing because of joining the disaster

• Like 3

the current state of the premiership i wouldn't be surprised to see teams actually want to be relegated .out of the mire created by too many foreigners pandering to Polish needs ,. definiitely wouldn't want to see a thriving championship club thrown in to the mire of Premiership and wind up closing because of joining the disaster

Me neither speedibee - you are right.

People can express their opinions SCB.

Opinions fine. Asking stupid questions and when the answer is obvious going off on one just makes people look like dickheads.

Me neither speedibee - you are right.

Promotion and relegation almost certainly a non-starter. Many tracks rely on the local derby match element for their survival. To lose that facility, as has been commented previously, could lose clubs to the sport.

Opinions fine. Asking stupid questions and when the answer is obvious going off on one just makes people look like dickheads.

the obvious answer is as you say - obvious but the question perhaps had more layers than you initially detected or perhaps was intended by the asker

yes we know what the rules say but - really? It would be farcical

the obvious answer is as you say - obvious but the question perhaps had more layers than you initially detected or perhaps was intended by the asker

yes we know what the rules say but - really? It would be farcical

Surely farcical would be ignoring the rules, or making up new rules just before the playoffs?
  • Like 1