British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Swindon Semi Final 1st Leg 11/9/17

Depends how gullible you are i guess! What about the bit where he told the person on the pit gate that 'he was riding' when he got to the stadium. Doesn't fit in to that statement, does it??!

Depends on how gullible you are whether you believe the person on the pit gate.

• Like 5

Depends on how gullible you are whether you believe the person on the pit gate.

Maybe Lisa overheard!

I've no idea what you mean when you say play off meetings are going to be packed (1000, 2000, 3000 or more) will the kocup semi be packed as well?

Whether a stadium is packed or not depends on the size of the stadium. I doubt there will be too many turn up tonight as it is a secondary competition. Are you going?

Nah Rosco and the management are rewarding the fans, including any from Poole who turn up.

Well lets be honest here you could count the Swindon fans at Poole on your fingers and toes. Pitiful Swindon support and pretty disgraceful that hardly any made the effort to support their team. I am sure there will be a lot more Poole fans coming up for the second leg to support the Pirates even though the result is a forgone conclusion.

As for the crowd at Poole, it was very decent. Not small at all as some on here are trying to say. And when you consider off race night, on tv and weather had been iffy earlier in the day, pretty good considering.

Had the forecast been decent then more would have travelled as previous explained to yourself. Leaving at 5pm as you suggested would never work either, wouldn't have got down to Poole by the start time.

I hope the Poole massive do travel up & back up everything you say, £10 entry should certainly help. The £7 per person saving can go towards the petrol costs - all in all a great gestured by Swindon when they don't have to reduce admission. Could take the money & run.

Well lets be honest here you could count the Swindon fans at Poole on your fingers and toes. Pitiful Swindon support and pretty disgraceful that hardly any made the effort to support their team. I am sure there will be a lot more Poole fans coming up for the second leg to support the Pirates even though the result is a forgone conclusion.

As for the crowd at Poole, it was very decent. Not small at all as some on here are trying to say. And when you consider off race night, on tv and weather had been iffy earlier in the day, pretty good considering.

• Like 1

Many Swindon fans knew they would win and decided not to top up Ford's bank account.

A win win as it happens.

If you think circa 1500 is good then Poole are in big trouble.

Had the forecast been decent then more would have travelled as previous explained to yourself. Leaving at 5pm as you suggested would never work either, wouldn't have got down to Poole by the start time.

I hope the Poole massive do travel up & back up everything you say, £10 entry should certainly help. The £7 per person saving can go towards the petrol costs - all in all a great gestured by Swindon when they don't have to reduce admission. Could take the money & run.

If people finish work at 5.30 then take half an hour to get out of Swindon it would be very tight trying to get to Poole by 7.30, especially with all the speed cameras in place these days.

• Like 1

According to Skidder1 about 1600-1800. That didn't strike me as good for a play off semi final at Poole. Probably a mix of the weather, home fans expecting to lose and the play off semis no longer attracting big crowds. They've been on TV for years so I don't see that being a factor anymore than it was when there were bigger crowds.

As for the reduced price at Swindon, it will be a clinical commercial decision, nothing to do with rewarding fans. They obviously believe that the hoped for increased attendance will give them a bigger profit. I hope they're right, that way everybody wins.

Edited by Aces51

Why would you expect people to travel to an away match when it's on TV? You do know the league benefits far more from TV coverage than they lose on a race night? Stop watching the TV and they'll stop covering the sport ;)

Swindon charging £10 for the return leg, fair play to the promotion!!! £5 for 11-16 & under 11's free.

Excellent by the Swindon promotion :t:

According to Skidder1 about 1600-1800. That didn't strike me as good for a play off semi final at Poole. Probably a mix of the weather, home fans expecting to lose and the play off semis no longer attracting big crowds. They've been on TV for years so I don't see that being a factor anymore than it was when there were bigger crowds.

As for the reduced price at Swindon, it will be a clinical commercial decision, nothing to do with rewarding fans. They obviously believe that the hoped for increased attendance will give them a bigger profit. I hope they're right, that way everybody wins.

Seems an odd decision. Swindon fans will turn up regardless for this one. Won't entice those that have decided to watch on TV. If the average attendance is 2000 paying the normal amount of £17, means the gate would be 34,000. A extra 1400 fans need to turn up to break even. Doesn't seem great business sense to me.

Why would you expect people to travel to an away match when it's on TV? You do know the league benefits far more from TV coverage than they lose on a race night? Stop watching the TV and they'll stop covering the sport ;)

So far as I know, TV companies also take account of those who record and download programmes and I can't imagine that many travelling fans who have BT sport wouldn't have recorded the meeting.

I travel a significant distance to the NSS because I prefer to watch the racing live with friends. I watch the recording later which sometimes gives a different insight into what went on.

• Like 2

So you think less will go tonight but it is a good idea to discount the meeting more will be going to?

No, I'm out of the country till Saturday.

I didn't say that! Are you a politician?

Probably a good idea to discount tonight as well as crowds will be lower but to discount a play off meeting when there is already going to be a decent crowd is good business too.

So far as I know, TV companies also take account of those who record and download programmes and I can't imagine that many travelling fans who have BT sport wouldn't have recorded the meeting.

I travel a significant distance to the NSS because I prefer to watch the racing live with friends. I watch the recording later which sometimes gives a different insight into what went on.

I'm absolutely not disputing that. If you prefer to be down there with friends, then go right ahead! I don't get those who act as if watching it at home is a bad thing. You pay for the sports subscription, they pay the clubs, they give the clubs the coverage they need to sell sponsorship packages and everybody wins.

I didn't say that! Are you a politician?

Probably a good idea to discount tonight as well as crowds will be lower but to discount a play off meeting when there is already going to be a decent crowd is good business too.

TBH from a business perspective Flange is right on this occasion, revenues would surely have been maximised by reversing the pricing. BUT it's a nice touch and should ensure a massive crowd and great atmosphere and hopefully lead to a bumper crowd for the final at say $20

Of course it could also be that Poole are an unattractive opposition so the meeting needs discounting, whereas the mighty Aces are much more of a draw card and hence justify full price admission

• Like 1

Many Swindon fans knew they would win and decided not to top up Ford's bank account.

A win win as it happens.

If you think circa 1500 is good then Poole are in big trouble.

1500 you know that for sure do you..?

Of course it could also be that Poole are an unattractive opposition so the meeting needs discounting, whereas the mighty Aces are much more of a draw card and hence justify full price admission

Really, how many league titles have you won in the last 16 odd years, let me tell you, none.