British Speedway Forum
mike7164

Newcastle Doubble Header 22 October

"Don't know who reported that, but I and people around me, thought it was about an average crowd for a Sunday single meeting. Not many Worky fans on sight, but some Redcar fans for a change."

So, you are conveniently forgetting how many turned up at the previous league match?

Your dislike of the Bears, obvious by your comment "the worry was Redcar would come back to grab the bonus point they needed to jump a place in the final league table. The 5-1 in heat 13 steadied the scoring and a 7 point win was achieved." shouldn't distract from the truth.

The lads did a brilliant job getting a track ready given the amount of water on it (was flooded in many places) .......... but the track was tricky

in the 1st match ..... Newcastle were outstanding and Workington were very poor

Campton and Proctor don't really go too well anyway around brough and Sarjeant had his moments but he fell in 1 , excluded in another (repeatedly moving at start) and took a huff in another and stopped when alfie roughed him up on bend 1

but Jorgensen and cook were a real miss ........... cookie is always good for 13-15 but summers had a shocking meeting - worst ive seen him ride brough and scored 5

there was some passing .... all by the diamonds ............

2nd match was more competitive but scoreline flattered redcar as Newcastle riders started falling off as they were trying a bit too hard

from heat 6 to 15 we had 7 fallers by 6 riders from the mighty diamonds otherwise the score would have been more realisitic 52-38

but there was some good racing with summers better and sarjeant actually racing in 6 heats this time

if it is the last race at brough park ..... it will be a memorable one and rather a reflection of the season

luddo falling in lead when his chain came off, auty excluded for ambitious pass that ended in the fence and summers being awarded the winner ................... (pleased both guys didn't get injured)

hopefully Workington will survive but speedway needs a good shake up and complete re-think where it is going

the answer was always there , just go back to the 70s format . 13 heats + a 2nd half. 2 local talent races .( thats where you find your next generation of speedway riders .

• Like 2

"Don't know who reported that, but I and people around me, thought it was about an average crowd for a Sunday single meeting. Not many Worky fans on sight, but some Redcar fans for a change."

So, you are conveniently forgetting how many turned up at the previous league match?

Your dislike of the Bears, obvious by your comment "the worry was Redcar would come back to grab the bonus point they needed to jump a place in the final league table. The 5-1 in heat 13 steadied the scoring and a 7 point win was achieved." shouldn't distract from the truth.

whenever Newcastle ride at redcar, there are a lot of Newcastle supporters who make the enormous 40 mile trip ....................

and have spoken with many redcar supporters at those meetings who have never been to brough .............. you don't need a passport you know................

now I did miss redcar's last visit (holiday).............. but frankly the number of redcar supporters who have been at brough in the last 10 years has been frankly laughable ...... and has been commented upon many times

Plymouth used to turn up with more !!!!!!!!!!!

whenever Newcastle ride at redcar, there are a lot of Newcastle supporters who make the enormous 40 mile trip ....................

and have spoken with many redcar supporters at those meetings who have never been to brough .............. you don't need a passport you know................

now I did miss redcar's last visit (holiday).............. but frankly the number of redcar supporters who have been at brough in the last 10 years has been frankly laughable ...... and has been commented upon many times

Plymouth used to turn up with more !!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know what? I should have learnt my lesson from conversations I have with Jawdee football supporters......Attendance is king, the size of the crowd determines everything, it must be an obsession !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the answer was always there , just go back to the 70s format . 13 heats + a 2nd half. 2 local talent races .( thats where you find your next generation of speedway riders .

I thought that what the Northern Junior & Midland Development Leagues were for?

I don't know if the riders would be prepared to go back to 13 heats (some riders would miss one ride by not having a heat 14 or 15) and would the pays scale be the same in the 2nd half as in the main match? If so, I can't see the point. You might as well keep it at 15 (it's worked for years, so why change it?).

• Like 1

Do you know what? I should have learnt my lesson from conversations I have with Jawdee football supporters......Attendance is king, the size of the crowd determines everything, it must be an obsession !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really, but derby meetings are the life and blood of competition for both sides. Meetings should make decent money for each clubs, but in the case of the Bears you usually don't turn at Brough, whilst we usually give you your two highest attendances of the season.The actual bile comes from some older and long standing fans, who are now missing Bears fans who ridiculed the track, the stadium, our riders and comments like your branding our fans as braindead Jawdee football fans. The only time you used to come to Brough was when you suddenly had a decent team, like this year, and we were in the doldrums. Their behaviour required all night vigilance from our security staff and many complaints received from fans citing drunkeness. swearing and bad treatment of their kids as well as our fans. As I said earlier, those fans were some of your fans who are now non attenders or only occasional, thank goodness. This, and the previous meeting with Redcar, I highlighted your fans being in the crowd, not to call them but to mention that some of you are now returning and I see that as a welcome development.

Attendance is not king, but it's good to see and register that Bears fans attending Brough for derbies now seems to be on the up. Long may it continue.

Edited by Tsunami

I thought that what the Northern Junior & Midland Development Leagues were for?

I don't know if the riders would be prepared to go back to 13 heats (some riders would miss one ride by not having a heat 14 or 15) and would the pays scale be the same in the 2nd half as in the main match? If so, I can't see the point. You might as well keep it at 15 (it's worked for years, so why change it?).

so what was wrong with the 13 ht formula?

it worked for years and then the cost cutters came in .

local guys gey a few laps after the meeting , but it wont bring them on .

sure we have development/nl setups . but you cant beat juniors being involved in the meeting, it make them feel good .

not everyone want to be part of a team in the nl .

and dont forget the rider of the night , that kept the fans back until the final had been run .

scrap all this tac ride rubbish , everyone to get their quota of rides .

look at the play off,s and cup meeting , close and no rubbish tac rides . just how it should be .

Edited by jenga

so what was wrong with the 13 ht formula?

it worked for years and then the cost cutters came in .

local guys gey a few laps after the meeting , but it wont bring them on .

sure we have development/nl setups . but you cant beat juniors being involved in the meeting, it make them feel good .

not everyone want to be part of a team in the nl .

and dont forget the rider of the night , that kept the fans back until the final had been run .

scrap all this tac ride rubbish , everyone to get their quota of rides .

look at the play off,s and cup meeting , close and no rubbish tac rides . just how it should be .

The 13 heat formula was ditched because it had become boring . The second halfs had become a waste of time as riders weren't interested and wanted to get on the road as soon as the league match was done . We tinkered with 16 heats with two top scorer races , 18 heats , but the 15 heat formula is the one we went back to and seems to be the preferred option .

but speedway is still boring and its only the die hard fans that are keeping it afloat .

maybe riders should only ride part time and treat ut as a hobby .

go back to the early days, it wasnt boring to me or my family !

• Like 1

speedway needs to cut costs to survive if thats saving money by dropping 2 heats and going back to 13 then im all for it

costs need reducing for both fans and promotors alike

cost cut and provide a weaker product will just accelerate the decline..... this was predicted by many last winter when team limit cut to 40

im all for giving british youngsters a chance but the reserve policy this been a complete failure and provided many predictable races

when riders like morris and wilson dean were riding at 6 ..... you knew 5& 6 could get a 5-1 or 1-5

watching 4 weak reserve riders take 16 races and struggle to get around the track is not my idea of entertainment

they should have stuck to 1 nl at 7 and a 42,50 average

speedway needs to get meetings done in 90 minutes with other efforts by promoters to improve the product

speedway needs to cut costs to survive if thats saving money by dropping 2 heats and going back to 13 then im all for it

costs need reducing for both fans and promotors alike

But would the promoters cut the admission costs accordingly? I doubt it.

• Like 2

No but it would make more teams break even