British Speedway Forum

Quite telling in itself is that this thread is in the Premiership section, (the league with the fewest number of clubs), whereas a lot of the discussion quite rightly points to the issues and problems facing speedway across all leagues....

As for believing Mr Russell, well yes, delays to the start are very irritating and something should be done to address this.

As for believing Mr Russell beyond that, I would stop there.

• Like 1

Yeah, because thats the biggest issue in the running on a meeting. The 2 minutes it takes to get them back around to the star again. Not the 25 minute interval after 12 heats of a 15 heat meeting?!

But it is often a lot more than two minutes by the time the riders have stopped at the pits to adjust something, add fuel and cool down the clutch.

The rules need to include that the pit gates are not to be opened and no mechanics allowed on the track for a start infringement restart.

The ref should have a 1 minute option that he presses immediately after pressing the red light button following a restart, also if the cause of the restart is behind the other riders at bend one let the race continue.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 2

Everyone is on Terry Russell’s back but if it wasn’t for him it’s more than likely there would no Speedway on TV, he got off his backside and got a contact yes he has made a lot of money out of it, but not as much as The BSPA, what he did was one of the best things to happen to British Speedway, he’s a business man, that’s what he does, good luck to him, and thanks to Terry I’ve been able to watch Speedway on TV

Still hoping the AGM will reverse this mad idea of fixed nights

1) To increase GP riders back - dream on if you think the elite GP riders Dudek, Zmarszlik, Woffinden and Sayfutinov are coming, what we will get is one 2nd tier rider per team and just look at the evidence what those riders have DONE already NEWSFLASH EX WORLD CHAMPION CHRIS HOLDER JOINS KINGSLYNN, how did that work out? EX WORLD NO2 ZASPRZAK COMMITS TO POOLE, they wont stop cheering for him will they? BRITISH RIDER MAKES GP AND RETURNS HOME TO WORKINGTON, surely this time they will be queueing round the block for this one?

2) Due to influx of GP riders (despite the great hike in costs) the BSPA have managed to secure a free TV deal with BT Sport.

3) Unfortunately Mondays and Thursdays may be sh#t for some fans who have supported the sport for 40 years.

4) Has any team actually moved up? Lakeside, Ipswich and Sheffield have all indicated they will be in the Championship (Ah yes a change of league name might help!)

I really hope it will work but where is the evidence to show this isn't going to be the biggest fu@k up yet.

• Like 1

Still hoping the AGM will reverse this mad idea of fixed nights

1) To increase GP riders back - dream on if you think the elite GP riders Dudek, Zmarszlik, Woffinden and Sayfutinov are coming, what we will get is one 2nd tier rider per team and just look at the evidence what those riders have DONE already NEWSFLASH EX WORLD CHAMPION CHRIS HOLDER JOINS KINGSLYNN, how did that work out? EX WORLD NO2 ZASPRZAK COMMITS TO POOLE, they wont stop cheering for him will they? BRITISH RIDER MAKES GP AND RETURNS HOME TO WORKINGTON, surely this time they will be queueing round the block for this one?

2) Due to influx of GP riders (despite the great hike in costs) the BSPA have managed to secure a free TV deal with BT Sport.

3) Unfortunately Mondays and Thursdays may be sh#t for some fans who have supported the sport for 40 years.

4) Has any team actually moved up? Lakeside, Ipswich and Sheffield have all indicated they will be in the Championship (Ah yes a change of league name might help!)

I really hope it will work but where is the evidence to show this isn't going to be the biggest fu@k up yet.

Even before his Meltdown Tantrum night Holder's arrival added very few to the AFA crowd on average. His poor form did not help as many lost faith in him as a No1 "Big Hitter". Why will Vaculik's arrival in Leicester bring in the necessary 250 - 500 extra punters needed to keep the club afloat financially? It is the wrong route to "bringing back the crowds: in UK speedway. The crowds are not going to materialise doing things that way.

A lower cost sport with UK based ( and racing there only ) riders and a £10 - £12 max entry price might help to stop further fans walking away and might bring in a few more - with closer, more exciting races. One of the negative points is that when the cost went past £1 a minute for VFM racing it became too expensive. And the reality of close exciting races is that we are paying £3 to £4 per decent competitive race. There are no races I have seen recently worth the "cost of admission alone" - £15 plus?

Edited by waytogo28

I don't get why some believe that getting 'top' riders back will require x number of extra paying fans to cover the cost?! If some lapsed fans return to watching regularly due to the inclusion of a top rider or two in each meeting then all well and good - BUT its sponsorship that will/should pay the extra cost of having the 'top' riders.

Many sponsors want their name/brand associated with the 'top' names.

• Like 2

As Matt Ford has got his team sorted, the main agenda will be to agree to any riders on assessed averages & capped the limit to suit the Pirates!!!!

OR will they get down to the total revamp the sport needs in the U.K? No alcohol a BSPA meeting a good starting point!

This seem very quiet re. the AGM, have they announced the introduction of the all important purple helmet colour for 2018?

I don't get why some believe that getting 'top' riders back will require x number of extra paying fans to cover the cost?! If some lapsed fans return to watching regularly due to the inclusion of a top rider or two in each meeting then all well and good - BUT its sponsorship that will/should pay the extra cost of having the 'top' riders.

Many sponsors want their name/brand associated with the 'top' names.

Who are these wealthy sponsors and how long is the queue of them vying to be the "Durex" Premier League 2018 brand owners?

Who are these wealthy sponsors and how long is the queue of them vying to be the "Durex" Premier League 2018 brand owners?

Agreed, 99% of sponsors across speedway are gained simply because they are a fan or a friend of a promoter who owes them a favour through other business.

It would be nice if speedway could gain sponsors because of the prestige and popularity but that is a long way off.

Edited by jchapman

It would be nice if speedway could gain sponsors because of the prestige and popularity but that is a long way off.

How many multinationals would want to see their names plastered around run down and ageing stadia that in the main have not had major investment for years. Excl the new BV Stadium that is.

If you look at places like Lakeside (who were in Elite/Prem until this season). It was like taking a walk back in time. I remember taking my son there 30 years ago and when I went in 2016 it was like nothing had been touched. Supporter facilities poor - Toilets that stank to high heaven with overflows and seemingly not touched in decades. Little to no seating/stands.

Can you imagine if Coventry had stayed in Prem in 2017. The stadium was poor. I would cringe if I was a large company seeing my banners plastered around such a dump.

Maybe that's good enough for the spit and sawdust Stocks & Bangers but do major nationals or companies really want their brands advertised in such conditions.

The World is a different place to the sixties & seventies but where most organisations have moved on, unfortunately most stadiums are still caught in this old time warp. An unfortunate fact of life we are all stuck with.

Edited by STEVEHOLS54
  • Like 5

Coventry is still better than 95% of tracks now and thats after its been stripped and vandalised! Mind you, that only proves your point.

Not talking about sponsors for the league(s). I was referring to sponsors of clubs and riders by local or regionally based companies that have a national (or even international) product or service to promote. Indeed some may only have a local/regional product to sell but still have reasonably large marketing budgets in speedway terms.