British Speedway Forum

I was a regular (although never at the same time) at Cleveland Park, Odsal and The Shay. The racing at CP was way better than anything seen at the other two. Remember how the likes of Steve Wilcock could pass opponents, on both the outside and the inside - often during a single race?! Yet Middlesbrough, in their latter years, struggled to attract more than 850 spectators. What does that say? Fast forward two decades, and I bet the promotion at Redcar would kill for 850 spectators every week.

It was only when I moved to Exeter that I witnessed consistently processional racing. Many miss the County Ground, I know, but I found that once one became accustomed to how fast the riders went at the track (compared to everywhere else), that was it. There was no other interest. Whilst down there, I 'picked' my meetings very carefully!

It's not just about the length you know, width comes into it as well! And if we're talking speedway tracks, shape is also key. Went Exeter once, utterly unimpressed.

Yeah, but that's about to change, ain't it so... fixed race nights to entice the stars back, at the same time the doors have been slammed on them coming back by the one 8-pointer thing.

I thought fixed race nights was to stop all the riders missing, as last season. !

• Like 1

I thought fixed race nights was to stop all the riders missing, as last season. !

Is it a mix of several things? Sure some riders have said they'd return to race the UK if racenights were fixed.

Edited by moxey63

The league will be 1 home 1 away, so less matches overall.

Well, if true (and I've no reason to doubt you), that might have been thought to be a sufficiently significant change to include in the press release instead (or as well as) all the self-congratulatory guff, and granting of testimonials which only affect a minority of fans.

Well, if true (and I've no reason to doubt you), that might have been thought to be a sufficiently significant change to include in the press release instead (or as well as) all the self-congratulatory guff, and granting of testimonials which only affect a minority of fans.

If that is the case then the 4H and 4A rides needed to get an average will be a bit pointless as there will only be a total of 7H and 7A all season.

I suppose they could include all the micky mouse competition meetings

Edited by A ORLOV

If that is the case then the 4H and 4A rides needed to get an average will be a bit pointless as there will only be a total of 7H and 7A all season.

In the Championship League, surely 10H and 10A......... but I take your point.

Premiership is still 2 home 2 away AFAIK and, on past form, the League Cup matches in the Championship will count.

Copied from the Newcastle 'Diamonds' Thread:

You can expect me to return to Brough Park next Season and hopefully Redcar now and again depending on Health and Weather..

Not every week but as often as I can.

Whilst I am not thrilled about the Tac. Sub. Rule - I am delighted that the Double Points is consigned to the dustbin of history where it belongs.

The BSPA have come part way to satisfying me with their decision on Double Points, and it would be churlish not to acknowledge that by changing my stance.

Thanks are due to the BSPA for getting rid of the 'Joker'. I have hammered them with criticism over the years regarding the Tactical Ride Issue - I feel it is only right that I applaud them for their Decision to end it.

welcome back you old git

• Like 2

Haha - Nice one. :t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

welcome back you old git

Haha - Nice one. :t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The league will be 1 home 1 away, so less matches overall.

Last year we had 18 league matches at home, 2018 we will have 10 plus 3 League Cup fixtures big difference.

Last year we had 18 league matches at home, 2018 we will have 10 plus 3 League Cup fixtures big difference.

If Workington and Newcastle run that is.

8 home plus 2 league cup if not (plus the usual 1 only cup match)

One match less for the three southern Championship tracks. 12+1 cup tie. That's ludicrous.

One match less for the three southern Championship tracks. 12+1 cup tie. That's ludicrous.

having less matches means, it costs less for the fans annually.

Shrinking speedway means, naturally a shrinking fanbase - yet again. More - same old, same old down the slippery slope and I bet they struggle to fit "all" those fixtures in!

Are there any international test matches planned for next season?

With such a limited league program, tracks would have many free racedays to host England test matches (or Team GB). The national team riders would surely be happy to represent their country and get extra opportunities to race and earn some extra money. And the fans would get the chance to see something in addition to the regular league meetings !

How about a revival England v Denmark series ? Or England v Sweden ?

Or for the juniors a Young Lions vs USA series ? or vs France - that would be something new !

Why is there no initiative ? Does the BSPA only think about their clubs ? How narrow minded is this !

• Like 2