British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Unknown Riders

Great help so far :D Must say i`m amazed.Any info on Brian Davies and Jim Crowhurst,must say i don`t know them :unsure: Never heard of Mac Woolford either.Thanks Bucket the Southampton team i wasn`t expecting too much help with.How wrong i was.

Put a few more on.The Dons riders i think one is Ronnie Moore.Poole 88 Its the back row on either side of Neil Street.Rye House 1, its the no 6 kneeling.Rye House 2 ,the one at the back between Naylor and Andy Silver and the one kneeling in front of him.The other Rye House team i dont know the two riders between P.Shroek and R.R

Ta :D

As for the Courtnell brothers i see there is a T.Courtnell listed in 54 whats his first name if its him,anyone? Must admit when i have looked at the photo i always thought front left looked like a Russian then saw Hveem rode around that time so presummed it was him.Thanks Norbold :D

Edited by iris123

Terry Courtnell. I believe he was killed in a car accident in S.Africa in the mid 50's

Left of Neil Street is Matthew Cross. Right might be Tony Langdon but not sure.

Left of Neil Street is Matthew Cross. Right might be Tony Langdon but not sure.

Sure is Tony Langdon

Sure is Tony Langdon

I thought it was. Funny thing was I could clearly remember his hair, but not the face!

I reckoned the West Ham team was 1952 or 53.

The photograph says 1954 on it, which would fit in with the team members. I agree with bucket the rider on the front right is Keith Gurtner.

Your probably right.the photo says 54 because that was my original thought going by the riders i knew but that guy at the front was making me think it was earlier.

CHK, i was wondering why Pat Clarke wasn`t mentioned.he was one i expected to be there although i haven`t the faintest what he looks like :D

I think Rye House 1 number 6 is Nigel Leaver

The last Rye. pic. could the chap to the left of schroek possibly be Adrian Stevens?

Glad to be of help on the Soton. team, it helped having the Southampton speedway book by Paul Eustace.

Mac Woolford was a local Swindon rider who I believe was starting to make his way with Eastbourne when he had a big crash, badly damaging his back finishing his speedway career. He still goes to Swindon on occasions and is still suffering from his injurys. Very harsh sport speedway!!!

The Reading picture on 'Old Crusader' has Jan Andersson in the lead. I''l ahve to guess the others: Simon Wigg, Nigel De'Ath and Pierre Brannefors (or possibly Per Jonsson, but the padded shoulders make me go for Pierre!)

spot on there.Know the meeting 26 May 86.That makes it heat 9 with Per Jonsson.Have another with Nielsen leading Andersson and Jonsson,might put that on later :D

Rider between Bert Roger and T Stevenson may be Pat Clarke?

I don't think it's Pat Clarke. I'm sticking to Gerry Hussey for the time being.

Another thought about the rider on the far left kneeling. Reg Fearman anyone?

Edited by norbold

I'm positive it's a Courtnell brother.

I'm positive it's a Courtnell brother.

If you're sure, I'll go along with that. :)

Added a few more if you can help.With the Mildenhall team its the 2 on the right .Lynn its the rider between Crowson and Betts.The Scunthorpe team i only recognise Andy Buck,Woffinden and is it McNamara as well :unsure: Not too sure with the Middlesbrough team and the rider crashing ,well you may have seen the photo before and know who it is :blink::o

Was relying on you Norbold for the Dons riders .Always thought the rider on the right was Mirac as i have a few pics with him in the same leathers but have also seen him in the other set of leathers in one of your books :)

Edited by iris123

Middbro - Steve Wilcock, Late Nigel Sparshott, Peter Mcnamara, Martin Dixon, Paul Bentley, ?, Daz Sumner

Mildenhall - Rob Parish and Wally Hill (i think)

Kings L - Clive Featherby

Scunny - includes Derek Richardson, Mark Burrows, Nicky Allott and Steve Finch.