British Speedway Forum

I haven't been following this in depth but of course I wish Coventry all the best. Used to love my visits there to watch the Robins! I hear that Clarke Osborne's name has come up during the meeting and he's said that houses should be built as speedway is a dying sport or something along those lines. What a joke of a comment from a man who has formed Swindon Motor Sports to build a new all purpose stadium for the Robins to ride at!!!!! It's almost like he doesn't actually intend to do this!! This guy clearly gets a kick out of killing speedway clubs. Makes me want to see Coventry back on track more than ever now!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, thecoombdog said:

I haven't been following this in depth but of course I wish Coventry all the best. Used to love my visits there to watch the Robins! I hear that Clarke Osborne's name has come up during the meeting and he's said that houses should be built as speedway is a dying sport or something along those lines. What a joke of a comment from a man who has formed Swindon Motor Sports to build a new all purpose stadium for the Robins to ride at!!!!! It's almost like he doesn't actually intend to do this!! This guy clearly gets a kick out of killing speedway clubs. Makes me want to see Coventry back on track more than ever now!!

Speedway is a dying sport  because of scum like osbourne.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DiveBomb said:

Who's the mystery club returning then that Phil Morris said there is a good chance of? 

Rye House?

17 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Rye House?

Oh how I wish.

Maybe Phil has had a word with Camelot and I'm going to win the Euro's and revive Newport. lol

Edited by Welwyn

17 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Rye House?

He said it wasn't rye house or Eastbourne. Also Swindon licence is on ice for now. He said new speedway track from what I recall. Make of that what you will.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DiveBomb said:

He said it wasn't rye house or Eastbourne. Also Swindon licence is on ice for now. He said new speedway track from what I recall. Make of that what you will.

Ah shame. Would have loved to see the Rockets back.

17 minutes ago, DiveBomb said:

Wasn't there a rumour about Weston-super-Mare at some point last year.

1 hour ago, Bojangles said:

Wasn't there a rumour about Weston-super-Mare at some point last year.

Did he not say it was a new club to Speedway?  Or did I hear wrong.  

Phil morris to be applauded, skewered the opposition ,the decaying sport statement got right under his skin.

CVS was quality as well rebutting the argument that wolves have folded because it wasn’t viable.

first day goes to the good guys

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, SSL84 said:

Did he not say it was a new club to Speedway?  Or did I hear wrong.  

New track but didn't say new club..

• Thanks 1

As I mentioned on the Phil Morris thread full praise to Phil, he did a great job today outlining the case for speedway still being worth fighting for. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DiveBomb said:

Who's the mystery club returning then that Phil Morris said there is a good chance of? 

Could it be the re-branded arena Essex team - Thurrock hammers? they've had the backing of their council to move forward I believe, although I'm happy to be corrected

• Like 1

What's really crap about all this, that a former bspa chairman is on the same side as the opposition in saying the sport in this country is not viable.  You could not make it up?

22 hours ago, iainb said:

Some interesting stuff coming out from Phil Morris in the hearing!

Over £1m a year to British Speedway from Eurosport! I think he said a year

Yes, I listened to it again this morning and he did indeed say at least £1m a year is invested into British Speedway by Eurosport. Whether that means the clubs get to see the readies or not i don't know.

This makes me think quite differently about the value of Eurosport to our sport, it is quite clearly still very valuable. It may not be the top notch coverage that the speedway purist may want (but then what ever is?) but it is still a very valuable income stream to the sport.

Makes you wonder what Sky Sports & BT Sport were paying and where on earth they spaffed all the money?

• Like 2