British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Ipswich 8th August 2019. Prem.

15 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Maybe it's not being shown cos it's under investigation?

Yeh looking at the my phone, i have a tiny clip as cook is led away another rider is grappling with someone in black who takes a swing at him..  So obviously a lot more than the initial clash is being looked at i guess.

The Flag Marshall must be banned from all speedway tracks .You cant treat a Gp rider like that 

The video certainly doesn't support the picture being painted by some of Cook travelling at speed, deliberately riding into the track marshall and then head butting him.

What I see is Cook traveling slowly and the Marshall in the middle of track stepping in front of Cook. Cook didn't  head butt him, he barged him with his shoulder. It makes those who weren't there but who have been prepared to believe the worst descriptions of the incident and call for Cook to be hung drawn and quartered, look foolish. 

The marshall should not have been on the track and should not have stepped in front of Cook, who should not have shoulder barged him. On this evidence it all seems a bit of a storm in a teacup compared to some of the original descriptions. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steve0 said:

What was the man with the red flag doing in the middle of the track?  It looks like the rider is going to go past the flag man (at slow speed) but the man decides to move to his left to block the rider cauSing the rider to ride into him.  In reaction to that, the rider tries to head butt him - which is clearly not an acceptable reaction but the flag man was definitely in the wrong but that doesn’t excuse the head butt. 

Good to finally see some evidence of what happened.

1. The flag Marshall should NEVER be on track waving a flag. That is putting himself and a rider at risk. As a Marshall you are told to stand behind a perimeter area (usually coned out) and definitely NOT on the track. What this Marshall did was take the law into his own hands and stand in the middle of the track waving a flag and then veer towards the riders path. You are a Marshall with duties, not a vigilante. Has he been trained? Doesn’t look it to me or Eastbourne don’t take the safety of people in the middle very seriously.

2. Cook was totally in the wrong riding at him (although in fairness what else could he done with the Marshall aiming himself at him). There was no excuse for head butting him either. Very unprofessional behaviour and surely he has to be reprimanded following this?

The Marshall was the person who instigated this tho so is equally as guilty.

25 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

1. The flag Marshall should NEVER be on track waving a flag. That is putting himself and a rider at risk. As a Marshall you are told to stand behind a perimeter area (usually coned out) and definitely NOT on the track. What this Marshall did was take the law into his own hands and stand in the middle of the track waving a flag and then veer towards the riders path. You are a Marshall with duties, not a vigilante. Has he been trained? Doesn’t look it to me or Eastbourne don’t take the safety of people in the middle very seriously.

What if he was on the track already tho  ?  The introduction were happening at this point remember.. 

• Like 3

Currently a threat of rain for Thursday. Hopefully the forecast will change.

Poole should win this fairly easily especially as Ipswich will most likely be without Heeps but strange things happen hopefully not thursday! 

33 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Currently a threat of rain for Thursday. Hopefully the forecast will change.

Hope it chucks it down and they re arrange when I'm off work. 

7 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

What if he was on the track already tho  ?  The introduction were happening at this point remember.. 

Absolutely. At Ipswich it is common place for an official with a flag in that position during the introductions. Their job is ensure practice starts dont take place on the turn that would cause dangerous ruts

all I hope for is a decent meeting .I would think this could be the highest attendance of the season 

9 hours ago, stevebrum said:

2. Cook was totally in the wrong riding at him (although in fairness what else could he done with the Marshall aiming himself at him). There was no excuse for head butting him either. Very unprofessional behaviour and surely he has to be reprimanded following this?

The Marshall was the person who instigated this tho so is equally as guilty.

Not quite sure why this is on the Poole v Ipswich meeting thread, but as I put on the other thread, the flag marshall was acting as instructed as the ref had put the red lights on when Cook set off before the rider parade and presentations had been completed - in fact were less than half way through.  Cook nor any other rider should have been riding the track at that point - end of!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ray c said:

all I hope for is a decent meeting .I would think this could be the highest attendance of the season 

Could it be the battle of the 6-man teams?!  Poole shouldn't be letting Ippo get close to the draw even if Bomber does what Bomber can do!  And I can't believe Lawson will be as bad as his last visit!

Edited by Skidder1

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Could it be the battle of the 6-man teams?!  Poole shouldn't be letting Ippo get close to the draw even if Bomber does what Bomber can do!  And I can't believe Lawson will be as bad as his last visit!

Well reserves are supposed to win meetings and Ippo have the best on paper. 

8 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Well reserves are supposed to win meetings and Ippo have the best on paper. 

Yes true but they aren't riding like that currently.