British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, Neila said:

Surly it would cost a fraction of Cardiff costs to put speedway in here, a full Bradford is better than 22000 in Cardiff??

Hands up who would rather have a day and possibly a night in Cardiff than Bradford ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Hands up who would rather have a day and possibly a night in Cardiff than Bradford ?

I would be quite happy  to go to  Bradford for the s/way  ,because personally I have no interest in going to Cardiff except for the  s/way  event itself .

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Would be cheaper for a lot of people,  can do a day trip fra Cumbria 

7 minutes ago, Neila said:

Would be cheaper for a lot of people,  can do a day trip fra Cumbria 

So that’s two hands up for Bradford but as it’s never going to happen for all the reasons covered on here it’s not really an issue.

Edited by Fortythirtyeight

You have to construct a whole track from scratch at Cardiff. At Odsal you could pull the line in temporarily for a fraction of the cost. Daresay it would be cheaper to hire, cheaper to stage, better track, better location. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ch958 said:

You have to construct a whole track from scratch at Cardiff. At Odsal you could pull the line in temporarily for a fraction of the cost. Daresay it would be cheaper to hire, cheaper to stage, better track, better location. 

Better Curry House's :t:and I can walk it from my house 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/25/2022 at 11:54 AM, eric i said:

The track is too narrow to meet FIM standards. The only way they could widen the track is if the rugby club left, which is not out the question because I don't think they are happy with how narrow the rugby pitch is.

As the rugby football league are one of the sponsors of the proposal,there is no chance of the rugby club leaving.They are certainly not happy with the width of the pitch,that could be one of the reasons for no track being provided for.

15 minutes ago, Derrickn said:

As the rugby football league are one of the sponsors of the proposal,there is no chance of the rugby club leaving.They are certainly not happy with the width of the pitch,that could be one of the reasons for no track being provided for.

I believe Bradford council own the stadium and lease it to the stocks people who then sub lease it to the rugby. If the council/rugby club don't get this ambitious project off the ground, the rugby club may look at more modest alternatives elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, eric i said:

I believe Bradford council own the stadium and lease it to the stocks people who then sub lease it to the rugby. If the council/rugby club don't get this ambitious project off the ground, the rugby club may look at more modest alternatives elsewhere.

Bradford council sold the lease to the RFL. The Bulls pay rent to the RFL.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tyke said:

Bradford council sold the lease to the RFL. The Bulls pay rent to the RFL.

I thought the stock car people spent money tarting the place up a little?

9 hours ago, ch958 said:

But as has been said umpteen times, the building superstructures and the dimensions of the rugby pitch mean that it isn’t cost effective for ANY promoter, club or FIM , to try to run speedway at Odsal. 

As for better location ? It might be for northern based individuals but people travelling from abroad? I’d rather go to Cardiff, despite the rip off hotels and I live really close to Bradford compared to Cardiff.

3 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

But as has been said umpteen times, the building superstructures and the dimensions of the rugby pitch mean that it isn’t cost effective for ANY promoter, club or FIM , to try to run speedway at Odsal. 

As for better location ? It might be for northern based individuals but people travelling from abroad? I’d rather go to Cardiff, despite the rip off hotels and I live really close to Bradford compared to Cardiff.

Did you read the article in the star? They looked seriously at staging a GP, they had designs for a bespoke safety fence which would have been expensive. However it wasn't the cost that prevented it happening it was the width of the track that didn't meet FIM standards. The cost of a bespoke fence and the hefty rent is probably putting off a promoter doing league racing.

6 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

talking about gp 1 and 2 not league

Saw two good meetings there, both World Finals...

The rest of the meetings I attended there were gate and go, one line, very fast races, one race after another...

And that was in the days before the "straight line rocket ships" that exist today.. 

Getting 10,000 in at the NSS should be the primary objective.. ..

• Like 2