British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Big decisions in November.

12 minutes ago, ray c said:

league should never be run by promoters independent body 

Never in a million years..

It's their money and they don't want anyone involved who they need to report to..

You are right by the way...

No "proper" competition would ever dream about letting its own competitors make the rules up, changing them like the wind as and when it suits/doesnt suit individuals..

What we have now is all there is...

Crowds are pretty much stable(ish) I would say, all be it at a low base, so it won't lose too many more fans (unless through natural causes), as they are all mainly die hards now I would suggest..

To paraphrase an old adage, "If it can't be fixed, don't try"....

Rinse and repeat ad infinitum...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Never in a million years..

It's their money and they don't want anyone involved who they need to report to..

You are right by the way...

No "proper" competition would ever dream about letting its own competitors make the rules up, changing them like the wind as and when it suits/doesnt suit individuals..

What we have now is all there is...

Crowds are pretty much stable(ish) I would say, all be it at a low base, so it won't lose too many more fans (unless through natural causes), as they are all mainly die hards now I would suggest..

To paraphrase an old adage, "If it can't be fixed, don't try"....

Rinse and repeat ad infinitum...

To be fair, aren't American sports generally run this way?

Far more professionally of course..

55 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I can see that being agreed in the bar one evening after a long day debating the options!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Most of it made perfect sense, so why not tell us what you feel is wrong?

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

To be fair, aren't American sports generally run this way?

Far more professionally of course..

They have a much more joined up system (as you say professional), which to be honest I've always thought British Speedway should have followed..

An elected commission with no allegiances running a trade organisation of franchises..

All collectively marketing, all collectively sharing the pie that their plan delivers..

No relegation means no threat to any long term business plan and guarantees a certain amount to be budgeted for each season..

Obviously this comes with severe sanction if you let the 'brand' down and if you don't cut it then you could find yourself out of a franchise..

This aspirational business plan though obviously delivers overall organic growth..

If UK Speedway tried it, it would take a year of arguments and meetings to just agree on the name for the organisation, never mind the operating model and business plan..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Most of it made perfect sense, so why not tell us what you feel is wrong?

Probably because you'll be a socially retarded cretin about it 

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

Probably because you'll be a socially retarded cretin about it 

Where's me Butterkist? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t see the need for personal name calling to make a point, just saying.:blink:

I've seen this BWitcher on a number of threads acting like some kind of Perry Mason type character when he or she, I'm going for he, disagrees with something, not only that he is often very rude and insulting and would probably receive a punch in the face if he spoke to somebody like that face to face. Having recently been his latest victim on this very thread I've seen just how he twists and downright lies about what has previously been said. I'm sure he can take a bit of name calling as he can certainly dish it out.

Edited by iainb

21 minutes ago, iainb said:

I've seen this BWitcher on a number of threads acting like some kind of Perry Mason type character when he or she, I'm going for he, disagrees with something, not only that he is often very rude and insulting and would probably receive a punch in the face if he spoke to somebody like that face to face. Having recently been his latest victim on this very thread I've seen just how he twists and downright lies about what has previously been said. I'm sure he can take a bit of name calling as he can certainly dish it out.

There hasn't been anything to 'disagree' on. You made a claim, it was false. You were corrected by myself and others.

Unable to act like an adult you've descended into hurling more and more insults with each post you make. 

Perhaps contribute in an adult fashion and explain why it is 'ridiculous' that one team can score more for 'drawing' than another or let the adults carry on discussing.

Edited by BWitcher

58 minutes ago, mikebv said:

They have a much more joined up system (as you say professional), which to be honest I've always thought British Speedway should have followed..

An elected commission with no allegiances running a trade organisation of franchises..

All collectively marketing, all collectively sharing the pie that their plan delivers..

No relegation means no threat to any long term business plan and guarantees a certain amount to be budgeted for each season..

Obviously this comes with severe sanction if you let the 'brand' down and if you don't cut it then you could find yourself out of a franchise..

This aspirational business plan though obviously delivers overall organic growth..

If UK Speedway tried it, it would take a year of arguments and meetings to just agree on the name for the organisation, never mind the operating model and business plan..

Agree, but as I said many of the principles are the same.

It is the 32 owners that vote on any rule changes for example, not an independent body.

The Competition Committee who propose the rule changes aren't independent, they are all representatives of clubs. be it presidents, owners or head coaches.

In essence the same as the BSPA management committee.

It's just the professionalism and adaption of ideas that is the major (and of course I mean MAJOR) difference.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Perhaps contribute in an adult fashion and explain why it is 'ridiculous' that one team can score more for 'drawing' than another or let the adults carry on discussing.

You really can't see anything wrong with that statement?

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Which part?

If it's the away team receiving an extra pt, absolutely not and the overwhelming majority of people, speedway fans or not wouldn't bat an eyelid about it.

Just as they don't at rules and criteria in other sports, many of which have been covered.

If it's the adults part, that's up to you, continue in the debate or post another inflammatory message, your choice.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

There's nothing wrong with it. The only thing wrong is the 2 points for winning at home for less than 6 was taken away.

You say bonus points are ok. Well, just think of it as a bonus point for getting within 6 away from home.

Lose by 6 the away team get a bonus point.

Draw then 1 point each. Plus the bonus point for the away team.

Win by up to 6. 2 points. Plus the original bonus if it is the away team.

Win by over 6. 3 points plus the bonus point if it is the away team.

It would be as simple as that except they took away the 2 points for the home team winning by 6 or less. It's still ok, but made more sense when it was 3, 2, 1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

There's nothing wrong with it. The only thing wrong is the 2 points for winning at home for less than 6 was taken away.

You say bonus points are ok. Well, just think of it as a bonus point for getting within 6 away from home.

Lose by 6 the away team get a bonus point.

Draw then 1 point each. Plus the bonus point for the away team.

Win by up to 6. 2 points. Plus the original bonus if it is the away team.

Win by over 6. 3 points plus the bonus point if it is the away team.

It would be as simple as that except they took away the 2 points for the home team winning by 6 or less. It's still ok, but made more sense when it was 3, 2, 1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.

Too complicated I think, especially for a new fan, 3 for a win, 1 for a draw, 1 for aggregate win. Easy, you can do it on the fingers of one hand, unless you're Nicki Pedersen

33 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Which part?

If it's the away team receiving an extra pt, absolutely not and the overwhelming majority of people, speedway fans or not wouldn't bat an eyelid about it.

Just as they don't at rules and criteria in other sports, many of which have been covered.

If it's the adults part, that's up to you, continue in the debate or post another inflammatory message, your choice.

and the overwhelming majority of people, speedway fans or not wouldn't bat an eyelid about it - In your opinion

Just as they don't at rules and criteria in other sports, many of which have been covered - bonus points, already been discussed

post another inflammatory - depends if you're going to be insulting