British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

24 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Maybe?

Keep your friends close..

But your enemies closer...

It is though quite disgraceful the way the Swindon fans only found out about this was by a third party being a third party, in a (I presume private), communication release...

I have always been surprised at the lack of an orchestrated protest group, (which should have come from the top for most gravitas), so maybe as we learn more of what has gone on with those now involved in the "new company", it may become clearer as to why no "major campaign" was forthcoming.. 

If the MP has made it clear no more houses can be built until the new stadium is built then the ONLY question needs asking is "WHEN WILL THIS HAPPEN?"...

And to keep asking it daily until someone comes up with the answer..

And it doesnt have to be the old Swindon promotion who use it I presume? 

Bulld the stadium and then see who wants to promote there...

The issue isnt whether the stadium is viable or not. The issue is it needs to be built to comply with the permissions granted...

Non Negotiable that...

If no takers after two years then knock it down and build housing on it...

Tbf there is someone on twitter who does this, like most days. I saw it on my feed all the time and they did tag a few people in it (official people like the club etc). Not sure if it was just ignored or what..

59 minutes ago, JessicaJones said:

Have you seen GI’s accounts for the last ten years? Only profits have been from selling off land. 

I am talking from the Swindon Speedways points of view not Gi...Everyone understands how Gi works and what  the end game is .Swindon should have explained why  and asked for help if needed rather than shutting the club down. As Mike has said if the Stadium has to be built why can't someone be given a chance to run speedway there .It pretty clear the moment Tr closes the club without asking for any help and sets up a new company with Clark that they both in it together . I am 100% sure if Swindon needed money to run next year the fans would have found it if asked 

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Sad to see this confirmed although clearly it's been obvious it would happen for years. Poor statement, the vague mention of a new stadium just seems to be another way of stringing along the fans. Also unacceptable that they've been sat on this news for a month and only acted now because it was brought up on here. 

• Like 2

Swindon Motorsports Ltd

Four directors:

George Albert Edwards, Clarke Anthony Osborne, Stephen Philip Park, Terence John Russell

Issued Capital - 4 x £1 shares 

Shareholding:

S P Park 1, Gaming International Ltd 2, T J Russell 1

More from Justin Tomlinson MP.

"SWINDON SPEEDWAY - Detailed Response (I hope it helps)...
I have been personally involved in supporting Swindon Speedway since the initial campaign to block the closure in 2008.
To save the stadium, it was agreed housing adjacent to the stadium could be built if the stadium remained open and ultimately modernised (new stand etc). At the time this was a huge relief and Swindon Speedway carried on with many years of success.
As fans were nervous about the stadium owners intentions, it was agreed that the final phase of planned housing (where the stadium owners get a financial share) could only proceed once the stadium works have been completed. Swindon Council repeatedly held firm on this.
Whilst speedway continued, works to upgrade the stadium never materialised despite repeated promises / false starts. Covid then hit, speedway was paused, and all seemed lost.
Perhaps to many people’s surprise the long awaited new stand appeared ready for construction earlier in the year – finally we seemed set to get the promised new stand and associated works. After a flurry of work, again progress stalled. We all continued to press for action, or at the very least updates.
Finally, this week it was confirmed that Swindon Speedway would not be able to proceed as the stadium would not re-open, triggered by an expected loss of the greyhounds. Speedway only operates 20 nights per year, paying a relatively small amount of rent, so the stadium is reliant on the greyhound TV money to remain viable.
It is important to understand the stadium is privately owned so no-one can force them to either complete the stadium works or operate speedway.
However, Swindon Council are rightly still refusing to relax the conditions, so if the stadium owners cannot complete the works, the final phase of housing will remain blocked. Taylor Wimpey (the developer of this final phase) had been set to start, as the owners had promised them stadium works would shortly be completed. They have now been told that works cannot proceed.
Both Swindon Council and I will make sure that the owners cannot escape the planning conditions.
So, what happens now?
Firstly, nothing. This isn’t ideal for anyone – more seasons pass with Swindon Speedway unable to compete, fans drift away making it harder for them to return competitively – especially in the wider context of the challenges national speedway is facing with declining crowds and deteriorating finances.
Secondly, the stadium owners may have to accept the work needs to be completed to unlock the housing. This would be very welcome but doesn’t guarantee how long the stadium would then continue to operate, especially if reliant on just 20 evenings of speedway per year.
Thirdly, the stadium owners have suggested an alternative site is found. This is nonsense, the Abbey Stadium has been perfectly suitable all these years and is surely easier to modernise than starting from scratch in some unknown location.
Finally, the owners could and should actively seek to sell the stadium to someone who could complete the works and find other uses to sit alongside speedway to make it financially viable. Would this work, is there a potential buyer? Only time will tell, but for the sake of generations of fans it is only right this is explored fully and urgently.
The stadium looked lost in 2008, let’s hope we can see another last-minute saviour come forward."

15 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Swindon Motorsports Ltd

Four directors:

George Albert Edwards, Clarke Anthony Osborne, Stephen Philip Park, Terence John Russell

Issued Capital - 4 x £1 shares 

Shareholding:

S P Park 1, Gaming International Ltd 2, T J Russell 1

The more I think about this new company, that was set up yesterday, the more dodgy it is. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Sad to see this confirmed although clearly it's been obvious it would happen for years. Poor statement, the vague mention of a new stadium just seems to be another way of stringing along the fans. Also unacceptable that they've been sat on this news for a month and only acted now because it was brought up on here. 

And those who have sat on this info are now working alongside those who have closed the club...

Trust elements are so important for engagement of others aren't they? 

It appears the previous promotion have unilaterally closed the Robin's down...

Even though a track for the Robin's is still required to be built...:(

A track that surely someone would take on and at least see if they can run it...

Especially in an area that has generated some of the best crowds in the country..

Which would increase undoubtedly in its first season back given fans will feel they have been so close to losing their team..

Maybe for the rest of the promoters losing another team helps them given there are already nowhere near enough riders to go round now to make the offering a credible one...?

Finding another 7 Double Uppers might therefore be difficult, regardless off what league the Robin's race in...

It would be interesting to hear the views of Robin's fans around how they feel they have been supported and communicated with over the past 3 years and having their team closed down on their behalf, especially when legally a track needs building...

14 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Thirdly, the stadium owners have suggested an alternative site is found. This is nonsense, the Abbey Stadium has been perfectly suitable all these years and is surely easier to modernise than starting from scratch in some unknown location.

How long until they say they need the cash from the old stadium site housing to pay for this new alternative site. For the 1st time ever Tomlinson has got something right, it is nonsense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

How long until they say they need the cash from the old stadium site housing to pay for this new alternative site. For the 1st time ever Tomlinson has got something right, it is nonsense.

Having read his latest release, I would suggest he could be seen as being "too supportive" of the track being built by both the owners AND the promoters...:D

Looks like he hasnt given up....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Having read his latest release, I would suggest he could be seen as being "too supportive" of the track being built by both the owners AND the promoters...:D

Looks like he hasnt given up....

The problem is with him is that you get all talk and no action. But I will say one thing, he has made a dig at GI which is something the club didn't do. 

In answer to your question above, I feel totally let down by the club. They appear to have rolled over for GI and the formation of this new company yesterday is a p*ss take. I've got no issue with the lack of communication over the last 3 years as there was nothing going on. The silence of the last month though is a disgrace. I'd imagine we still wouldn't know if it hadn't have been posted on here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, orion said:

You can cry all like about it .But the bottom line he still associated with Osbourne Clark  in this new company .The guy who has just closed the club down .Actions speak louder than words .

Exactly. I don't blame Rosco and Lee Kilby one bit for what has happened to date. But I don't get why they have put their names to this new joke company. They are 100% Swindon and can surely see this lot are full of BS.

• Like 3

The irony of all this that I am not getting adverts for Taylor-Wimpey all over my social media telling me that they are "building a better World".

• Haha 1

I really like the  attitude of Tomlinson last statement at last some overdue  aggressive towards Gi .thou of course its driven by Politics are how he looks all this ( he got a lot of flack yesterday.) On another matter do people really think that Rosco and Kilby never knew about us not running this year until 2 days ago.

• Like 1

Like everyone on here, I’m saddened to hear the news about Swindon Speedway. Personally I have been going since around 1971, with the odd break for a few years, and then returning like so many others. 

I caught the final season of Barry Briggs. I was totally hooked. The smell, the shale that in those days peppered you if you stood anywhere near the corners, and the noise! No silencers, or deflectors! In those days it was every Saturday night too  

The crowds were huge. I remember at least 4 double decker buses arriving to ferry people back to Swindon after the meeting.  The car park was always packed. The atmosphere terrific. I’m told in those days the crowd was consistently over 3k and on occasions rivalled Swindon Town for the biggest crowds. 

The seventies, despite the crowds, were a difficult time for the Robins. The trophy cupboard was bare. But the racing was excellent. Martin Ashby was the master at Blunsdon. His last bend passes were exhilarating. His gating exasperating! Bob Kilby was the complete opposite at the gate. Reflexes and anticipation like lightening. Sadly, this skill is rarely seen, or allowed by referees these days. Geoff Bouchard proved one the best signings of the 70’s...a real trier and a thrilling rider to watch. 

I missed most of the 80’s and 90’s, but the desire to see Leigh Adams every Thursday did the trick. Adams was absolute mustard to watch. His team riding was second to none. I saw him nurse the likes of David Rudd, Travis McGowan, James Wright around Blunsdon in majestic style. His heat 15 riding with Zagar was up there with the best. 

Then came the title winning seasons. The crowds remained very decent, the racing, in my opinion started to decline on a somewhat tired track. The reshape certainly helped, and in the final season, once the track bedded in, there were some superb meetings. 

Speedway at Swindon was my life as a teenager. Every Saturday night, regular away trips on the coach. Often there were 2 or 3 coaches at an away match. 

When I left the stadium after that last meeting, having won the title, I drove home to my home ( now in Cornwall) and didn’t dream for one minute, it would be the last time I watched Speedway at Blunsdon. 

Most people on here have said what I think about the management and it’s treatment of the supporters and indeed many predicted the stadium would never be built  I perhaps naively, thought it would be  

I had some great times at Blunsdon, met some great people and even introduced “Everyone’s friend” Steve Shovlar to the sport! A sort of claim to fame! 

RIP Swindon Speedway. 

EnglishRoundabout. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Like everyone on here, I’m saddened to hear the news about Swindon Speedway. Personally I have been going since around 1971, with the odd break for a few years, and then returning like so many others. 

I caught the final season of Barry Briggs. I was totally hooked. The smell, the shale that in those days peppered you if you stood anywhere near the corners, and the noise! No silencers, or deflectors! In those days it was every Saturday night too  

The crowds were huge. I remember at least 4 double decker buses arriving to ferry people back to Swindon after the meeting.  The car park was always packed. The atmosphere terrific. I’m told in those days the crowd was consistently over 3k and on occasions rivalled Swindon Town for the biggest crowds. 

The seventies, despite the crowds, were a difficult time for the Robins. The trophy cupboard was bare. But the racing was excellent. Martin Ashby was the master at Blunsdon. His last bend passes were exhilarating. His gating exasperating! Bob Kilby was the complete opposite at the gate. Reflexes and anticipation like lightening. Sadly, this skill is rarely seen, or allowed by referees these days. Geoff Bouchard proved one the best signings of the 70’s...a real trier and a thrilling rider to watch. 

I missed most of the 80’s and 90’s, but the desire to see Leigh Adams every Thursday did the trick. Adams was absolute mustard to watch. His team riding was second to none. I saw him nurse the likes of David Rudd, Travis McGowan, James Wright around Blunsdon in majestic style. His heat 15 riding with Zagar was up there with the best. 

Then came the title winning seasons. The crowds remained very decent, the racing, in my opinion started to decline on a somewhat tired track. The reshape certainly helped, and in the final season, once the track bedded in, there were some superb meetings. 

Speedway at Swindon was my life as a teenager. Every Saturday night, regular away trips on the coach. Often there were 2 or 3 coaches at an away match. 

When I left the stadium after that last meeting, having won the title, I drove home to my home ( now in Cornwall) and didn’t dream for one minute, it would be the last time I watched Speedway at Blunsdon. 

Most people on here have said what I think about the management and it’s treatment of the supporters and indeed many predicted the stadium would never be built  I perhaps naively, thought it would be  

I had some great times at Blunsdon, met some great people and even introduced “Everyone’s friend” Steve Shovlar to the sport! A sort of claim to fame! 

RIP Swindon Speedway. 

EnglishRoundabout. 

FFS, Shovlar is down to you ER!!! I always thought you were alright!!!

• Haha 2