British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

I know there were 2 Gordeevs' BUT....

13 minutes ago, gustix said:

Further to the remarks in regard to "Russian' riders not been actual Russians. As I see it riders were collectively from various republics in the Soviet Union - hence the USSR. However from a commercial aspect by promoters it was better to 'sell' the team to supporters as Russia rather then the Soviet Union aka USSR.

My comment bites the dust! I checked with what is regarded as the authority in international speedway coverage - Brian Collins ultra-excellent International Speedway website. Here's the details for the Soviet Union: http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/soviet union.htm

.Brian Collins also specifies: "...After 1992, Soviet riders rode for either Belarus, Latvia, Russia, or Ukraine..."

Edited by Guest
updated

Look at British touring teams in Australia. Often labelled England, despite featuring Ken McKinlay and in some series the label changed from test match to test match. So they were described as British Lions in tests 1,2,5 & 7, English Lions in tests 4 & 6 and England in test 3.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Look at British touring teams in Australia. Often labelled England, despite featuring Ken McKinlay and in some series the label changed from test match to test match. So they were described as British Lions in tests 1,2,5 & 7, English Lions in tests 4 & 6 and England in test 3.

Something that Peter Collins is passionate about as regards the correct usage of labelling regarding differentiating between England and Great Britain certainly within the current climate.

It also gets a bit confusing if say one or two riders as I was told by a Russian friend are ethnic Ukrainian etc...and as I was surprised to see when looking at 1930s US newspapers even Wilbur Lamoreaux was refered to as the Frenchman or flying Frenchman !!!!

But I was just asking about Russian riders in particular because I didn't think any USSR riders rode for a British club

Edited by iris123

The Speedway Archive (History of Edinburgh Monarchs and Beyond) interestingly lists that "Rene became the first rider of the old Soviet Union to ride for a British Club".

10 hours ago, gustix said:

My comment bites the dust! I checked with what is regarded as the authority in international speedway coverage - Brian Collins ultra-excellent International Speedway website. Here's the details for the Soviet Union: http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/soviet union.htm

.Brian Collins also specifies: "...After 1992, Soviet riders rode for either Belarus, Latvia, Russia, or Ukraine..."

Interesting John and having looked at some old programmes from the seventies the test match at Oxford (which was unfortunately postponed) the contest was to be held between England and Russia. The 1973 Daily Mirror Tournament had programmes listed as either USSR, Soviet Union or Russia! Such was the ambiguity and apparent inter-changeabilty of the title within the British speedway authorities at the time. Certainly used to confuse me as a teenager growing up during that period!

Edited by steve roberts