British Speedway Forum
Danny Connor

The random Speedway heat thread (no spoilers)!

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Never tire of watching it Steve , in your opinion would Tommy Jansson have been a World Champion.? Imagine Tommy at his peak against  PC ,  Michael  Hans, Bruce, Erik mouth watering really a real class act on and off the track.I got his prized autograph at Swindon when Crash beat him in the Golden Helmet.

I only saw Tommy on a few rare occasions (Wimbledon sharing the same race night as Oxford) but I did see him at Swindon in the Golden Helmet match race at Swindon in 1976...probably the last time I saw him ride. Also saw him ride at White City's opening meeting in 1976 when Gordon Kennett beat him twice from the back. Also saw him ride during the 1975 Geoff Curtis Memorial Meeting when he lost in a three way run off with John Davis and Dag Lovaas. I'm convinced that he would have been a very big player if he hadn't died so tragically. A very sad loss.

20 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I only saw Tommy on a few rare occasions (Wimbledon sharing the same race night as Oxford) but I did see him at Swindon in the Golden Helmet match race at Swindon in 1976...probably the last time I saw him ride. Also saw him ride at White City's opening meeting in 1976 when Gordon Kennett beat him twice from the back. Also saw him ride during the 1975 Geoff Curtis Memorial Meeting when he lost in a three way run off with John Davis and Dag Lovaas. I'm convinced that he would have been a very big player if he hadn't died so tragically. A very sad loss.

Looking back i was fortunate to see Tommy ride seven times Steve, the last three times were the Swindon v Wimbledon fixture in 1975 Tommy scored 11 from four rides Crash beat him once Tommy also spoiled Martin's maximum. The Wembley 1975 World final and the 1976 fixture on April 10th Swindon v Sheffield.Crash beat Tommy in the Helmet 2.0 with Tommy winning the decider at Cradley Heath the strange thing about the Sheffield fixture was that Tommy stayed for the second half with Kilb beating him in the final.

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Looking back i was fortunate to see Tommy ride seven times Steve, the last three times were the Swindon v Wimbledon fixture in 1975 Tommy scored 11 from four rides Crash beat him once Tommy also spoiled Martin's maximum. The Wembley 1975 World final and the 1976 fixture on April 10th Swindon v Sheffield.Crash beat Tommy in the Helmet 2.0 with Tommy winning the decider at Cradley Heath the strange thing about the Sheffield fixture was that Tommy stayed for the second half with Kilb beating him in the final.

If I recall Sid that was the deal with the Golden Helmet Match Race in that the rider away rider was given an extra ride(s) in the second half to make the trip worthwhile?

39 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

If I recall Sid that was the deal with the Golden Helmet Match Race in that the rider away rider was given an extra ride(s) in the second half to make the trip worthwhile?

Totally  right i enjoyed the second half give newcomers a chance to mix it with the big boys after winning the stadium scurry.In 1977 i remember Malcolm Holloway demolishing the flowers beds at the Abbey hilarious.On that day  i never envisaged him ever making it as a fully fledged Robin.Just shows how first impressions can be wrong, remember seeing Sam Ermolenko ride for Poole at Swindon totally out of control but hey how Sam made it bigtime in the end and he had to deal with a peak  Hans then as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Great to see a rider gain success by riding the white line.

19 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I remember that decider at Dudley Wood I'm presuming Swindon were there that night. Remember the golden helmet being a big thing back then

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 4:43 PM, HenryW said:

First time I have seen that. Thanks for sharing. Extraordinary. 

20 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

April 10th Swindon v Sheffield.Crash beat Tommy in the Helmet 2.0 with Tommy winning the decider at Cradley Heath the strange thing about the Sheffield fixture was that Tommy stayed for the second half with Kilb beating him in the final.

That was the day I got Tommy's autograph. He spent the entire main match sitting alone against the wall in the visitor's side of the pits waiting for the second half, and I leaned through the gap at the top and got him to sign my book.

11 hours ago, Grachan said:

That was the day I got Tommy's autograph. He spent the entire main match sitting alone against the wall in the visitor's side of the pits waiting for the second half, and I leaned through the gap at the top and got him to sign my book.

Got his autograph three times and like yourself got it that night, totally right he was on his own all night.I remember the leathers he had on they were black with the gold stars down the side.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Got his autograph three times and as like yourself got it that night, totally right he was on his own all night.I remember the leathers he had on they were black with the gold stars down the side.

I remember a photo of Tommy sat in the pits that evening Sid studying the programme...can't remember from where now?

10 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I remember a photo of Tommy sat in the pits that evening Sid studying the programme...can't remember from where now?

I remember seeing it somewhere Steve to !!!! maybe it was in the brilliant Backtrack magazine ?? as there was a golden helmet edition.I also have photos of Tommy against Crash and Dave Jessup in the helmet and when he won The  Laurels and the Southern riders Championship.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I remember seeing it somewhere Steve to !!!! maybe it was in the brilliant Backtrack magazine ?? as there was a golden helmet edition.I also have photos of Tommy against Crash and Dave Jessup in the helmet and when he won The  Laurels and the Southern riders Championship.

Was the Southern Riders Championship held at Reading as I may have seen him in that?

18 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Was the Southern Riders Championship held at Reading as I may have seen him in that?

At Wimbledon October    07/10/75  Jansson beat Autrey in a run off after both scoring  14 points.There were other Qualifying rounds Steve so you might of seen a few of them ??? i unfortunately did not.