British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Which British League Two/National League Team Produced The Most Riders For British League One?

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes...my memory as I say...but I did check and he made an appearance for Rochdale (I think he was a Belle Vue asset), as did Craig Pendlebury (who re-appeared two years later at Barrow), before making a name for himself at Workington.

It's just that I don't think one or two odd appearances - maybe as the result of an on-the-night loan, can actually be counted as a track "producing" riders for BL action! Again, that is your choice entirely...

1 hour ago, chunky said:

It's just that I don't think one or two odd appearances - maybe as the result of an on-the-night loan, can actually be counted as a track "producing" riders for BL action! Again, that is your choice entirely...

Yes it's open to interpretation and whether a rider was actually on the books of any particular track...for example was Mitch Graham competing in second halves at Rochdale before making an appearance in the team? I obviously have no idea...

There's many grey areas beyond the remit of this particular thread. Paul Dugard's name was mentioned. He rode for "The Cheetahs" in 1989 but I'm guessing that he rode in Eastbourne's second halves during the back end of 1988 (?). I seem to remember that he rode for Cradley Juniors when he came of age (?). Therefore I guess he was strictly an Eastbourne product but it's very muddy and as I say beyond what I foresaw when initiating this thread.

Good fun however!

Edited by steve roberts

Paul Tyrer, Wilkie,PC,  -   Rochdale/Belle Vue   Eric Broadbelt -  Belle  Vue Colts , Rochdale, Belle Vue.  Chris Bailey -  Belle Vue Colts, Rochdale, Halifax.???

• Like 1

The  great Dent Oliver on his production line brought through alot of young talent , he died  far two young. Chris Morton Ellesmere Port/Belle Vue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

The  great Dent Oliver on his production line brought through alot of young talent , he died  far two young. Chris Morton Ellesmere Port/Belle Vue.

Remember when he lost his temper at Cowley in 1973 and Alan Wilkinson ripped the tapes from the sockets after an exclusion when "The Rebels" sneaked a narrow win in the KOC...we got stuffed in the return leg however!

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes it's open to interpretation and whether a rider was actually on the books of any particular track...for example was Mitch Graham competing in second halves at Rochdale before making an appearance in the team? I obviously have no idea...

There's many grey areas beyond the remit of this particular thread. Paul Dugard's name was mentioned. He rode for "The Cheetahs" in 1989 but I'm guessing that he rode in Eastbourne's second halves during the back end of 1988 (?). I seem to remember that he rode for Cradley Juniors when he came of age (?). Therefore I guess he was strictly an Eastbourne product but it's very muddy and as I say beyond what I foresaw when initiating this thread.

Good fun however!

I'm not sure whether he did ride at Rochdale at all, but his one appearance for the Hornets was away at Berwick. I would suspect that he may have had rides at Berwick, and that he was pressed into service by Rochdale who were short-handed.

I know that the one appearance he made for Rayleigh in 1972 was at Workington, and he was listed as a guest.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Remember when he lost his temper at Cowley in 1973 and Alan Wilkinson ripped the tapes from the sockets after an exclusion when "The Rebels" sneaked a narrow win in the KOC...we got stuffed in the return leg however!

Yes i do remember that and i also have those iconic pictures of the Belle Vue v Leicester tear up when  Wilkie and Alan Cowland had a big set to the crowds loved a bit of drama.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes i do remember that and i also have those iconic pictures of the Belle Vue v Leicester tear up when  Wilkie and Alan Cowland had a big set to the crowds loved a bit of drama.

I was at that meeting Sid, only 12 0r 13y/o but remember it quite vividly, Cowland took Wilkie to the fence and forced him to bail off, Wilkie waited for the warm down and dragged him off the bike, next thing the pits emptied on to the track, remember Ray Wilson getting stuck in, some fans went over the fence to get involved.  Probably only lasted about 30 seconds but was quite a brawl.  Can just about picture Dent in his cap, probably a programme in his hand, trying to restore order.   Are the pics from the following week's Star?  I got rid of my collection years ago but can recall there being 2 or 3 pictures and a write up. 

edit, I think Mike Hiftle was another from the Rochdale stable, blue leathers is my main memory of him, 2nd thoughts maybe he was from the Colts.

Edited by nw42

1 hour ago, nw42 said:

I was at that meeting Sid, only 12 0r 13y/o but remember it quite vividly, Cowland took Wilkie to the fence and forced him to bail off, Wilkie waited for the warm down and dragged him off the bike, next thing the pits emptied on to the track, remember Ray Wilson getting stuck in, some fans went over the fence to get involved.  Probably only lasted about 30 seconds but was quite a brawl.  Can just about picture Dent in his cap, probably a programme in his hand, trying to restore order.   Are the pics from the following week's Star?  I got rid of my collection years ago but can recall there being 2 or 3 pictures and a write up. 

edit, I think Mike Hiftle was another from the Rochdale stable, blue leathers is my main memory of him, 2nd thoughts maybe he was from the Colts.

Great memories nw42 i have the speedway star from that week but the picture i have is Wilkie being restrained and Graham Plant throwing a left hook at someone else.Mike Hiftle had a few rides at Berwick in 1968 then like you said rode for the Colts,( Belle Vue, Halifax in the BL.) Taffy Owen was another one started out at Belle Vue in 1965 rode for the Aces  and  the Colts going on to Rochdale in 1970 and Worky good rider Taffy.

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 hour ago, nw42 said:

I think that Tom Leadbitter was laying people out...handy with his fists apparently!

22 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Great memories nw42 i have the speedway star from that week but the picture i have is Wilkie being restrained and Graham Plant throwing a left hook at someone else.Mike Hiftle had a few rides at Berwick in 1968 then like you said rode for the Colts,( Belle Vue, Halifax in the BL.) Taffy Owen was another one started out at Belle Vue in 1965 rode for the Aces  and  the Colts going on to Rochdale in 1970 and Worky good rider Taffy.

Taffy was a good entertainer and was always a regular at Hyde Rd, another one I just remembered from Rochdale was Ken Moss, similar in stature to Taffy.Me and my dad used to go to Rochdale on Sundays, saw PC's first meeting there, I think he got double figures from reserve, we had already seen him plenty of times throughout the winter at the Saturday training schools and knew he was going to be good.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I think that Tom Leadbitter was laying people out...handy with his fists apparently!

You could be right, his name alone suggests he would have been a tough nut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Steve Waplington was another rider with the same background Belle Vue Colts, The Aces, Rochdale.

The Belle Vue/Rochdale tally is on the up!

I think that it's very much between the aforementioned and Eastbourne...with Eastbourne just taking the edge.

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

The Belle Vue/Rochdale tally is on the up!

I think that it's very much between the aforementioned and Eastbourne...with Eastbourne just taking the edge.

After those we all mentioned for the Aces  we should not forget Scarisbrick, ( Smith, Eccles/ Screen  all thrown in the deep end full time) 

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1