British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Five riders that you felt were underrated.

3 minutes ago, sommelier said:

talking of 16 year olds, will the EVER be a rider as good has Lee at that age. I think not

I wasn’t born when he was 16 unfortunately but my family all say  the same as you. In fact discounting his disastrous comeback in 1991 I can only vaguely remember him from the mid eighties when he had already gone off the rails. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, sommelier said:

talking of 16 year olds, will the EVER be a rider as good has Lee at that age. I think not

It's funny how things turn out but I remember both Colin Richardson and Michael Lee as fifteen year olds riding in 'demonstation' races at Cowley (1974) and Colin coming out on top. As we know Michael's career reached the heights whereas Colin's after showing much promise tended to peter out.

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

It's funny how things turn out but I remember both Colin Richardson and Michael Lee as fifteen year olds riding in 'demonstation' races at Cowley (1974) and Colin coming out on top. As we know Michael's career reached the heights whereas Colin's after showing much promise tended to peter out.

Colin and Bobby McNeil I would say

34 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Colin and Bobby McNeil I would say

Saw a lot of Bobby, not only at Eastbourne, due to the promotional tie up at Cowley. He was ear-marked to move up with "The Rebels" but if I recall Bob Radford advised him otherwise and he eventually moved to Swindon. Bob Radford was somewhat bitter towards Oxford after he resigned his position whilst the season was still in progress in 1974. Of course it's well documented that after McNeil's move to Hackney he was badly affected by the death of Vic Harding who he knew growing up within the grasstrack scene and he retired prematurely.