British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Legend Langton

Eric Langton, England and Belle Vue, pre- and post-war star. Beaten by Australia's Lionel Van Praag in a decider for the first world championship at Wembley in 1936,

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

Visited his grave at Farnley a couple of years back.

• Like 1

When did Eric pass away and when did he cease riding??

Died 10/11/1999  aged 92

And a guess, he retired after the 1947 season?

Courtesy of Wikipedia but I don't trust that because even in this article it gives his death as 1999 and 2001.....never know a person die twice!!!!!

Edited by andout

Cheers andout-hope you are surviving our snow squalls-the coldest May 9th for fifty years-should have emigrated to OZ instead of the Great White North-at least we don't have snakes!!

Just now, BOBBATH said:

Cheers andout-hope you are surviving our snow squalls-the coldest May 9th for fifty years-should have emigrated to OZ instead of the Great White North-at least we don't have snakes!!

Yes, "Prison" is not too bad really......and to think all those years ago I had my papers for Australia and decided on Canada.....Hmmmm.

Yeh, well I got no complaints though-Canada has been good to me-do you think there is any chance of speedway racing here again- I recall meeting you once at , I think, Welland or Dundas. keep well mate!!

Me neither......You met me at Paris....remember it well.

No I don't think Speedway will run again here.....Welland has a slight chance but no one is interested.....riders that is!

There are three Tracks within reach though.....all three in New York state......closest one, Owego but a 12 hour round trip!!!!

5 hours ago, andout said:

Died 10/11/1999  aged 92

Courtesy of Wikipedia but I don't trust that because even in this article it gives his death as 1999 and 2001.....never know a person die twice!!!!!

Yes that's the date mentioned on his headstone.

5 hours ago, andout said:

Died 10/11/1999  aged 92

45 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes that's the date mentioned on his headstone.

??? Please confirm the date. This is IMO slightly confusing? Thank you. BTW I saw Eric Langton riding for Belle Vue at New Cross in 1946 and 1947. A great rider. And at New Cross in 1947 he raced against his 1936 world championship rival Lionel Van Praag. I cannot recall the race result.

Edited by Guest
spelling error

45 minutes ago, gustix said:

??? Please confirm the date. This is IMO slightly confusing? Thank you. BTW I saw Eric Langton riding for Belle Vue at New Cross in 1946 and 1947. A great rider. And at New Cross in 1947 he raced against his 1936 world championship rival Lionel Van Praag. I cannot recall the race result.

When New Cross raced Belle Vue on 25 June 1947, Van Praag beat Langton in Heat Three. It was the only time they met that night. They met again on 16 July when again Van Praag beat Langton (Heat 11). They met for a third time at New Cross on 13 August, with Van Praag beating Langton yet again (Heat Seven). So 3-0 to Van Praag. 

• Like 1