British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ArthurRudge

Coventry stadium revisited

13 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's weird, John...

According to Facebook, you ARE a Facebook user (with multiple accounts - unless there are TWO John Hyams in Penge), and you are a current member of at least one speedway group on Facebook.

Therefore, you should be able to access the page - and others. Did you forget that you are a Facebook user?

Sounds like a concussion injury to me :o

• Haha 1

I have no way of entering Facebook. I did have a series of links to it in my mails and deleted them. I believe there is one Facebook group where I am shown as a member. I did not start/open this. If I could I would close my membership. At one time I did have membership of several Facebook groups that I started. To my knowledge I am no longer a member of any of them.

In the workings of Facebook as I understand it the fact that I have left a group that I started does not close down that group. When a founder leaves a group n the far right panel Facebook usually give notice/advertise for a member to take over Moderation of the group. It was though a happening like this that I became Moderator of a New Cross group after its founder/moderator left it.

I do still have a personal Facebook message that invites me to establish contacts, log-in, and other associate requests. This I ignore. 

At present I am trying to establish - no easy task! - a contact with Facebook to have all links by me with them removed. Guess what? All I get is a series of auto responses - at least at the present time.

Edited by Guest

As I am now finding it may be impossible to establish a contact directly with Facebook. When I try all I receive is a 'no reply' email address (whatever that is!!)

Edited by Guest

I am still being ignored in my efforts to finalise getting out of Facebook. I now have found the email address to their security. I have just sent a 'let me escape message' there. Let's hope they respond.

11 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

I am still being ignored in my efforts to finalise getting out of Facebook. I now have found the email address to their security. I have just sent a 'let me escape message' there. Let's hope they respond.

A very interesting story is developing here. But surely to use your own logic, shouldn't you start a new thread, as I don't see the relevance to 'Coventry stadium revisited ' with this

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

A very interesting story is developing here. But surely to use your own logic, shouldn't you start a new thread, as I don't see the relevance to 'Coventry stadium revisited ' with this

Indeed, he's doing my head in now.:D

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Indeed, he's doing my head in now.:D

Yes. I forgot to add.....if possible start a new thread on the oval car forum and not here :P

• Haha 1

In the early days of !950s oval car racing at Coventry a leading driver was Steve Storm. It was a name used by a leading Coventry speedway rider. Can any Coventry speedway historian name who he really was?

I also think a couple of other Coventry speedway riders also drove under other names at this time?

5 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

I have no way of entering Facebook. I did have a series of links to it in my mails and deleted them. I believe there is one Facebook group where I am shown as a member. I did not start/open this. If I could I would close my membership. At one time I did have membership of several Facebook groups that I started. To my knowledge I am no longer a member of any of them.

In the workings of Facebook as I understand it the fact that I have left a group that I started does not close down that group. When a founder leaves a group n the far right panel Facebook usually give notice/advertise for a member to take over Moderation of the group. It was though a happening like this that I became Moderator of a New Cross group after its founder/moderator left it.

I do still have a personal Facebook message that invites me to establish contacts, log-in, and other associate requests. This I ignore. 

At present I am trying to establish - no easy task! - a contact with Facebook to have all links by me with them removed. Guess what? All I get is a series of auto responses - at least at the present time.

I really shouldn't have to go through all this with you, John, but I want to give you some basic information.

Forget links, messages, and all that crap. For a Facebook account, you need three things; a name, an email address, and a password. Yes, it's that simple, and it's no different to the BSF, or any other online forum or group.

Now, you say you are unable to "enter" Facebook? How are you trying to "enter"? As I said, you only need three things to create an account, and they are EXACTLY the same three things you need to log in to your account, so what are you missing?

I don't think it's your name, as you have managed to create two accounts under your name.

I don't think it's an email address, for the same reason as above.

Is it a password you're missing? If so, that is no issue, as all you have to do is follow the instructions on the login page where it asks you if you "forgot password".

Again, no need for links, messages, confusing correspondence, or any of that. One you are in Facebook, you can delete your account.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, chunky said:

I really shouldn't have to go through all this with you, John, but I want to give you some basic information.

Forget links, messages, and all that crap. Fore a Facebook account, you need three things; a name, an email address, and a password. Yes, it's that simple, and it's no different to the BSF, or any other online forum or group.

Now, you say you are unable to "enter" Facebook? How are you trying to "enter"? As I said, you only need three things to create an account, and they are EXACTLY the same three things you need to log in to your account, so what are you missing?

I don't think it's your name, as you have managed to create two accounts under your name.

I don't think it's an email address, for the same reason as above.

Is it a password you're missing? If so, that is no issue, as all you have to do is follow the instructions on the login page where it asks you if you "forgot password".

Again, no need for links, messages, confusing correspondence, or any of that. One you are in Facebook, you can delete your account.

The buggers have locked me out of my account!

Just now, steve roberts said:

The buggers have locked me out of my account!

Why?

Just now, chunky said:

Why?

Apparently someone has tried to access my account or it has been used inappropriately! Following their guidelines I need to scan my passport and/or driving licence and/or marriage certificate(?) or any manner of documents to prove my identity so as to re-activate my account...bollocks to that!

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Apparently someone has tried to access my account or it has been used inappropriately! Following their guidelines I need to scan my passport and/or driving licence and/or marriage certificate(?) or any manner of documents to prove my identity so as to re-activate my account...bollocks to that!

A blessing in disguise I would suggest.:D

4 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

A blessing in disguise I would suggest.:D

Absolutely...I closed my account five plus years ago and then re-activated it again to see if I was missing anything (?) and it was fine for a couple of weeks before I got a message to say that it had been locked. Personally it doesn't bother me not being on Facebook or any other social media (Twitter) account. I only do BSF.

Edited by steve roberts

Maybe be better if the person who started the thread can re-title it something like 'Bollix about Facebook' and start a new thread about Coventry......