British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

Whats actually going on?

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The problem being that home gates have to pay home and away points. Not going to get much backing for a team that only has 4 home fixtures anyway without the additional away costs.

just get the home track to pay for both sets of points, it's all fixed rates at this level isn't it?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, enotian said:

just get the home track to pay for both sets of points, it's all fixed rates at this level isn't it?

Absolutely!!!

• Like 1

What I want to know, is what is the rumoured team points limit for the NL this season? I've heard it's dropping, but to what?

2 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Surely if the standard is being reduced, the admission price should reflect this.

Have you ever seen  a promoter reduce the admission cost?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Have you ever seen  a promoter reduce the admission cost?

Speedway as a sport, always charges more for less. That's why it struggles to survive in the modern era.

16 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Speedway as a sport, always charges more for less. That's why it struggles to survive in the modern era.

We can all say this should be done ect. But let's be honest if we had the money how many of us would put our money into a speedway club? I've been involved in speedway for 40 plus years and always said if I had the money I would invest in a club, but being honest I would not now.  

37 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

We can all say this should be done ect. But let's be honest if we had the money how many of us would put our money into a speedway club? I've been involved in speedway for 40 plus years and always said if I had the money I would invest in a club, but being honest I would not now.  

I would buy a track / venue but darned if i would enter a team into the league. Id host open meetings with riders graded closer to ability levels and practice days to keep the coffers full. I don't see any benefits of team speedway in the UK anymore for rider, club or fans so there's no way i would invest anything into anything that i had limited control over.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I would buy a track / venue but darned if i would enter a team into the league. Id host open meetings with riders graded closer to ability levels and practice days to keep the coffers full. I don't see any benefits of team speedway in the UK anymore for rider, club or fans so there's no way i would invest anything into anything that i had limited control over.

Also what I'm saying its easy for us to knock the promotion saying this should be done ect, but I think in these times would we do any better with the set up as it is just being honest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trackerman48 said:

Also what I'm saying its easy for us to knock the promotion saying this should be done ect, but I think in these times would we do any better with the set up as it is just being honest. 

I certainly can't argue with your point. Build a team that has the best chances of improving and winning you will still come up against sides that are cannon fodder and put together "in the spirit of the NL" therefore costing lots of points money and seeing your team ripped apart at the end of the year. Build a cannon fodder team and fail to attract/keep a crowd plus damage the reputation of the league. Until all teams can agree a sensible middle ground and that the best interests for all is an open and entertaining season (and i know that unlikely) the struggles will continue.

I know the independent governing body route is a no go but the sport at at each league level and as a whole needs a directive of how it intends to be viewed from the outside and the direction that all clubs should be heading in there will remain the clumsy separate approach that haunts the sport now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Im surprised no-one has gone down this route, especially with streaming for a small charge to view being available nowadays, in fact i will be amazed if at least one club doesnt go for live streaming at a reasonable pay per view cost in addition to pay on the gate for this season, thats assuming the BSPL allow this to happen without affecting the current TV agreement thats in place.

Edited by greyhoundp

On 2/22/2021 at 3:45 PM, Bluenose said:

Newcastle Gems

https://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.38629

Dunno about Cleggy being able to ride on his average ?.

As for some of the teams only having  minimal dates for matches,

why not work the league on average,s instead of match points,

In 1996 the league was decided on % not match points, my Dad loved that season because Arena-Essex rode every week in the conference league. Nowadays I can't see how stand alone NL clubs can run with 8 home matches a year?

Is there a date set for any announcements? Fixtures? What teams are competing? Etc... Not long now until the season starts...

Just to know what the confirmed teams are would be nice...

Edited by Dandelion