British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2021

14 hours ago, JIROUT said:

The fact is Iain that Leicester is a brilliantly run club....Great Track.....Great Riders...Great Fans.......As a Track Shop we do our best to advertise the club........My dad used to be a Speedway Promotor in the 70's ...so we have been involved in Speedway for getting on for 50 years...We make mistakes im sure.......Some things we bring in are not popular ,,,,,some are.....We take the good with the bad......Champions merchandise in Speedway as well as Football is very much a short window of time.......Had 2020 happened the Track Shop wouild have been full of Champions merchandise,...Hopefully 2022 will be the same.....but usually after a championship season the team is very much different means from oct-may after a championship success you can sell stuff....after that it really does slow down very much....I am sure people on here have Champions Merchandise they purchased in October 2019......Its now August 2021...Covid really did us no favours...But as i have said...If you wanted to pop in the shop on Saturday,Bev will im sure be happy to chat

Great track ???   for stock cars maybe ....   ;)

I was thinking the other day, if B'ham do close, I would look to get a speedway fix elsewhere, but I wouldn't want to watch speedway at Leicester week in week out......

Unfortunately, Wolverhampton doesn't float my boat either.....

Edited by GiveusaB

2 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Great track ???   for stock cars maybe ....   ;)

or Potatoes...

• Haha 1

It has improved compared to how it once was, it was originally truly dreadful. However, it's still far from being a decent track, and unless major work is done on it it's how it will remain. 

So .......... it is what it is. 

19 minutes ago, justathought said:

So .......... it is what it is. 

So ......... 5h1t is what it is. 

Edited by iainb

why is it so wrong though? Seriously I've never been and not read anything about it's size, shape etc.

32 minutes ago, Deano said:

why is it so wrong though? Seriously I've never been and not read anything about it's size, shape etc.

For starters there's a hill on turn 2

Been a couple of times,IMo the problem is the distance between the straits is too small (across the centre green) making long straits and tight corners,the riders are fast down the straits but unless they make a mistake it is difficult to pass.It has been modified since my last visit though.

It's been discussed till the cows come home . As I said it is what it is. On occasions it can produce some decent racing.  It is much improved compared to what it was. Personally I think there are only a couple of real top tracks in the UK.  The majority seem to be very very similar. 

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Been a couple of times,IMo the problem is the distance between the straits is too small (across the centre green) making long straits and tight corners,the riders are fast down the straits but unless they make a mistake it is difficult to pass.It has been modified since my last visit though.

Name that track?

Tracks.jpg.5e68dcceb46adaf29c61459da6bc98c1.jpg

Leicester seems like a big Wolverhampton

Edited by iainb

4 minutes ago, justathought said:

It's been discussed till the cows come home . As I said it is what it is. On occasions it can produce some decent racing.  It is much improved compared to what it was. Personally I think there are only a couple of real top tracks in the UK.  The majority seem to be very very similar. 

Agree,a lot of gate and go speedway at majority of the tracks.It’s just a pity that a track built in recent times was so badly designed.There were a couple of examples they could have copied and had much better racing IMO.It’s a nice little set-up though.

• Like 1

I like Redcar and Glasgow. Banking is incredible. Hope Bradford comes back for the same reason.

If you come to Poole as a rider, can you ride the waves of Wimborne?  :rofl:  Good Stevie W can ride the waves coz we wouldn't want Sea Sick Steve performing! :P :nono:  :rofl:

Go to Leicester most weeks and they had a massive opportunity to create a an amazing track but instead.....

I dunno wot, if any, planning constraints they had with the track like they did with the pits. That's the only thing I can think of as a reason it was rubbish. I think the track had to be laid in the orientation that it is with the pits concealed and no access to the public.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It’s a nice little set-up though.

Unfortunately a nice little setup is not enough to attract punters these days, if by some miracle you do manage to hear about Speedway outside of the Speedway bubble in Leicester after you've been to the nice little setup a few times and marvelled at the riders skills racing at speed you'll start to think hang on a minute this is a load of old crap! As proved by the steady decline in attendances over the years.

It's like the Odeon cinema in Leicester, it's had a refit and has got some big comfy reclining leather seats that you could easily fall asleep on, but if they're showing a load of old crap on the screen you ain't going to bother going no matter how comfy the chairs are

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

Unfortunately a nice little setup is not enough to attract punters these days, if by some miracle you do manage to hear about Speedway outside of the Speedway bubble in Leicester after you've been to the nice little setup a few times and marvelled at the riders skills racing at speed you'll start to think hang on a minute this is a load of old crap! As proved by the steady decline in attendances over the years.

It's like the Odeon cinema in Leicester, it's had a refit and has got some big comfy reclining leather seats that you could easily fall asleep on, but if they're showing a load of old crap on the screen you ain't going to bother going no matter how comfy the chairs are

The leather seats have been ordered:D:P

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

The leather seats have been ordered:D:P

Bring 'em to Leicester... you'll nod off quite easily Zzzzzzzz :lol: