British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Fan/rider interaction

Some may have seen that I have moaned about this on social media last few days,

18 months break between meetings.  Electricity flowing through everyone's veins with excitement. 

Imagine this. Heat 1. Home rider wins. Crowd go wild. Winner celebrates with the crowd. 

Oh it's good to be back. Amazing. 

BUT..... 

As I said imagine that. Because that diddnt happen at belle vue. Now I understand jye had 2 rides on bounce so we can let him off. But in all the race winners only Bewley come round to take the applause. 

Fans seem to be invisible to the rider. We want to be entertained not just on track but with wheelies or like cookie does a fake chest pump on the badge. Means alot to the crowd that. 

When they do a good race and the crowd get excited they just kill any momentum the crowd gained by going straight to pits. .

It's takes 30 secs to take the applause. 

Belle vue are really bad at it. 

What is your club like. Are you satisfied with the fan/rider interaction or does it not bother you

Edited by Phil The Ace
  • Like 4

Generally really good at this at Ipswich 

It's actively encouraged and riders are sent round for a lap of honour

Lots of waves and fist pumps and lots of noise from The Massif  :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Some may have seen that I have moaned about this on social media last few days,

18 months break between meetings.  Electricity flowing through everyone's veins with excitement. 

Imagine this. Heat 1. Home rider wins. Crowd go wild. Winner celebrates with the crowd. 

Oh it's good to be back. Amazing. 

BUT..... 

As I said imagine that. Because that diddnt happen at belle vue. Now I understand jye had 2 rides on bounce so we can let him off. But in all the race winners only Bewley come round to take the applause. 

Riders seem to be obvious to the the paying public. We want to be entertained not just on track but with wheelies or like cookie does a fake chest pump on the badge. Means alot to the crowd that. 

When they do a good race and the crowd get excited they just kill any momentum the crowd gained by going straight to pits. .

It's takes 30 secs to take the applause. 

Belle vue are really bad at it. 

What is your club like. Are you satisfied with the fan/rider interaction or does it not bother you

It was really noticable how many times the riders just turned and went back to the pits..

So obvious in fact that I presumed they must have been on notice to do so..

Some great racing which deserved the chance of acknowledgement..

Was it down to part of getting their  'Covid licence'? By that I mean were they instructed not to get everyone shouting at the same time..?  :rolleyes:

Daft I know, but given celebrating each race is such a 'bleeding obvious' thing to do, then why not do it?

Edited by mikebv

Adam Shields was a rider who almost never waved to the crowd at Lakeside but I think that maybe he was just very introverted and just wanted to ride his bike but didn't want the attention, we had plenty of riders though down the years that made up for that, for example Henning Bager.

But in Belle Vue's case it was probably television insisting riders go straight back so they can be interviewed, Again its a live product that is catering for those at home rather than those that actually made the effort to pay to come and watch.

It really doesn't take much to do a lap of honour, promoters should 100% insist on their riders doing it and meaning it!!

• Like 2

Trying to remember what Brady did when he was at Poole... I think if he just won the race then back to the pits but if he was a part of a 5-1 then he would do a lap of honour after. I guess riders have in their head what they would do even before the meeting starts. Say what you like about Ward and Chris Holder but they would always go wheelie mad after a race (even if it was to wind up the oppo fans)! Hans Andersen is another one who is good at it. Also depends if they are good at wheelie's too!

LAfter a rider or pairing have had a good race,,, they should be sent round,,but an easy gate and go I'm not that bothered about,,, but the kids like it,, and its them the efforts should be made for 

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Trying to remember what Brady did when he was at Poole... I think if he just won the race then back to the pits but if he was a part of a 5-1 then he would do a lap of honour after. I guess riders have in their head what they would do even before the meeting starts. Say what you like about Ward and Chris Holder but they would always go wheelie mad after a race (even if it was to wind up the oppo fans)! Hans Andersen is another one who is good at it. Also depends if they are good at wheelie's too!

Magnus Zetterstrom - he the man!!!!:party::party:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Now that was embarrassing lol

Just now, Trees said:

Now that was embarrassing lol

Embarrassing for him maybe - but always got the crowd going crazy!!

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Oh yeah! Great personality and if you go and talk to him after the meeting he will speak to you like your his best friend! Craig Watson was like that too :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Embarrassing for him maybe - but always got the crowd going crazy!!

I was always embarrassed for him, cringy!

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

What do you want?  Camouflage racesuits so we can't see them?  :D

Like John 'Cowboy' Cook - now there was a real showman!

• Like 1