British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Joe Owen NL was he the best…?

18 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I was fortunate Sid that at Cowley we had many talented Eastbourne & Peterborough riders take part in the old Second Halves (lamented in my opinion). Great days!

Were you expecting  more of Ali Stevens Steve ? Dave Shields was a rider who excited me also watching an older Hunter/ Perks duo was a pleasure.

13 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

My memory on certain issues Nw is very poor,  i  suppose it was just all of my youth was spent going to speedway with my uncle and dad it was full on really special memories i  cherish them.Watching Lee develop from a 16 year old was a privilege really a real natural talent only Carter, J, Crump, Gollob and in recent years Ward have excited me as much.

Same here regarding my youth, I was my dad's ticket out of the house, my mum used to say "you can go but you can take 'trouble' with you so I can get some peace", so we were at the zoo every Saturday night, many Thursdays it would be a dash over Woodhead, our holidays were extended or curtailed to fit in a trip to a track on the way home.  Yet I can hardly recall any specific meetings, the most vivid still being the run off between PC & Michanek, which isn't a bad one to remember I suppose.  

Anyway, back on topic, as discussed above, for me Joe Owen would have to be the best from my era, constantly topped the averages in the Star every week.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Were you expecting  more of Ali Stevens Steve ? Dave Shields was a rider who excited me also watching an older Hunter/ Perks duo was a pleasure.

Yes Ali Stevens was another 15 year old who gave demonstration rides at Cowley. He looked very promising and I seem to recall he suffered an off-track injury which seemed to set him back and never really fulfilled his full potential in my view. Saw David Shields ride to an immaculate 12 point maximum at Milton Keynes in only his second appearance for "The Cheetahs" in 1978. If he had chosen to return in 1979 I think that he would have become a very big rider in the National League and by the time he returned to these shores some years later I think that the early impetus was lost.

6 minutes ago, nw42 said:

Same here regarding my youth, I was my dad's ticket out of the house, my mum used to say "you can go but you can take 'trouble' with you so I can get some peace", so we were at the zoo every Saturday night, many Thursdays it would be a dash over Woodhead, our holidays were extended or curtailed to fit in a trip to a track on the way home.  Yet I can hardly recall any specific meetings, the most vivid still being the run off between PC & Michanek, which isn't a bad one to remember I suppose.  

Anyway, back on topic, as discussed above, for me Joe Owen would have to be the best from my era, constantly topped the averages in the Star every week.

Must be great to have those memories of your dad NW it certainly is for me would not change a thing.That run off must of been special one of my biggest regrets was not getting to Hyde Rd as much as i would of liked my favourite track along with the Shay even now.Two moments that stick out for me are Briggo going back to the Abbey with Wimbledon/Hull he got a great reception would of loved to of seen one of his 6 BLRC wins.

11 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes Ali Stevens was another 15 year old who gave demonstration rides at Cowley. He looked very promising and I seem to recall he suffered an off-track injury which seemed to set him back and never really fulfilled his full potential in my view. Saw David Shields ride to an immaculate 12 point maximum at Milton Keynes in only his second appearance for "The Cheetahs" in 1978. If he had chosen to return in 1979 I think that he would have become a very big rider in the National League and by the time he returned to these shores some years later I think that the early impetus was lost.

Holloway, Hack, Lamb, were three that come through at Cowley and the latter  two had brutal injuries which robbed us of seeing them go up the ladder i am sure both of them would of done in time.

14 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Holloway, Hack, Lamb, were three that come through at Cowley and the latter  two had brutal injuries which robbed us of seeing them go up the ladder i am sure both of them would of done in time.

David Shields and John Hack formed a very formidable reserve pairing during the early matches in 1978 and together with the immaculate George Hunter 1978 proved to be great year which got better in 1979. Unfortunately Cradley's involvement began to wain causing riders to move on or who were transferred and things began to deteriorate at Cowley before Northern Sports stepped in resulting in the glory years at Oxford.

18 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

David Shields and John Hack formed a very formidable reserve pairing during the early matches in 1978 and together with the immaculate George Hunter 1978 proved to be great year which got better in 1979. Unfortunately Cradley's involvement began to wain causing riders to move on or who were transferred and things began to deteriorate at Cowley before Northern Sports stepped in resulting in the glory years at Oxford.

When the superb restaurant was opened i had a four year spell where i went to Oxford most weeks.Was never a fan before but when the track was good it was very very good very smooth ( did C.Meredith do it?.) Got to realise just how WRONG i was about Hans a real points machine.His clashes with Erik, Tommy, Sam, Shawn/ Kelly spring to mind also seeing that lovely chap Simon Wigg( bless him) progress was great.As i always felt grass/Longtrack was his real passion a great team man to really a really bubbly.character.

Guest compost
1 hour ago, nw42 said:

Of course Sid, your memory bank is far better than mine, the way you recall meetings and individual performances never ceases to amaze me, I'm envious.  

Arthur Price was indeed a top 2nd division star, chuck in Michael Lee along with Carl Glover and what an era the 70's was for Boston.

Don't forget David Gagen, Steve Clarke and Rob Hollingworth too for Boston.  Gagen and Clarke, like Weatherley, had careers cut short due to injury.

12 hours ago, compost said:

Devils advocat but strictly speaking shouldnt the best NL/Div 2 rider be Jack Young ?

More recently what about Carl Stonehewer ?  Unlike Joe (who was definitely the best NLer in the '70s and '80s) he did get to a 'world final'.

Tommy Price (1949 World Champion and 1946 Riders' Champion) began his career riding for Wembley Reserves in the Reserves League.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

When the superb restaurant was opened i had a four year spell where i went to Oxford most weeks.Was never a fan before but when the track was good it was very very good very smooth ( did C.Meredith do it?.) Got to realise just how WRONG i was about Hans a real points machine.His clashes with Erik, Tommy, Sam, Shawn/ Kelly spring to mind also seeing that lovely chap Simon Wigg( bless him) progress was great.As i always felt grass/Longtrack was his real passion a great team man to really a really bubbly.character.

During the glory years there were two great track curators ( can't recall their names I'm afraid) and Hans had nothing but praise for them Unfortunately due to cut backs they resigned as they couldn't be guarenteed the time and equipment to do a good job and the track began to deteriote much to Wiggy's aghast! By the time Colin Meredith came along the track was nothing like its former self and I recall helping him out prior to Nigel Wagstaff's first year in charge and the track was awful with bumps all over the place.

Guest compost
5 minutes ago, norbold said:

Tommy Price (1949 World Champion and 1946 Riders' Champion) began his career riding for Wembley Reserves in the Reserves League.

Actually Jason Crump would be the top Div 2 rider (3 World Individual titles) having thought about it.

1 minute ago, compost said:

Actually Jason Crump would be the top Div 2 rider (3 World Individual titles) having thought about it.

Yes had the pleasure of seeing him every week and who would of predicted he would of been better than his dad who was some rider himself.

21 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes had the pleasure of seeing him every week and who would of predicted he would of been better than his dad who was some rider himself.

Could well qualify as the best father and son combination? Phil was awesome round Cowley especially on the occasion when he smashed the track record!

3 hours ago, compost said:

Ivan Mauger?

• Like 1

Guest compost
6 minutes ago, norbold said:

Ivan Mauger?

Yes Norbold from his Provincial League days.  Good point