British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Pirates on tour. Edinburgh, Berwick, Newcastle.6/7/8/8/21

2 minutes ago, BobC said:

A point is better than nothing, but still feel its points dropped rather than a point gained.

Ive noticed that with Danyon. We all said the same thing about no NL to fall back on. Good to see he getting a booking or two with Sheffield.

He is very popular with the fans. Always happy and smiling, ready to chat and gives a good interview when on the mic. Already looking at next season, I genuinely hope hes is back.

I believe in time Bob he will be able to cope as a top five Championship rider the confidence Poole have shown in him has really rubbed off.For me Hume, Flint, Palin, Thompson x2 ( like both) Bowtell, have shown they have a longterm career at Championship level minimum.Touch wood all of them will be fully fledged top flight riders in time Flint, Palin, Hume have already shown they  are on the pace at that level

• Like 3

I do think this was a great win for the depleted Berwick side they really dug in and it is nice that Kasper is really flourishing now.Every visit to Berwick is very difficult for any visiting team the track is pretty unique very fast reminds me a little of the County Ground.

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So on we go to Newcastle and fingers crossed that today’s racing goes ahead. The weather has been dreadful to be honest. Looking forward to getting back to the warmth of the south. B)

The sooner we get our 1-7 the better 3 points from 2 guests isn’t good enough. 

Entitlement? Poole are the biggest club in British speedway for a reason. Even now when we are in the Championship we are still the biggest club. No one has got near us in the last 20 years and that’s why clubs get excited when Poole come to town and when they manage to beat us. Pirates rarely have bad teams and in sport that’s the way it works. 

There’s no entitlement. We have to earn our wins like any other team. The difference is the club is run to win trophies and titles, not make up the numbers and hope for the occasional success. We should have won last night and we should win today if it’s on. That’s club mentality. No being second best.

That big dropped down a league because of poor crowds, as been quoted before...entitled & deluded glug glug glug.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

That big dropped down a league because of poor crowds, as been quoted before...entitled & deluded glug glug glug.

And that is just you!

Crowds may have been worse in the top league as some seasons we could play Swindon 4 times at home during the season. Only die hard fans would watch the same away team come that many times!

Crowds have been good since restrictions lifted, probably because Poole are doing well and different teams every week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So on we go to Newcastle and fingers crossed that today’s racing goes ahead. The weather has been dreadful to be honest. Looking forward to getting back to the warmth of the south. B)

The sooner we get our 1-7 the better 3 points from 2 guests isn’t good enough. 

Entitlement? Poole are the biggest club in British speedway for a reason. Even now when we are in the Championship we are still the biggest club. No one has got near us in the last 20 years and that’s why clubs get excited when Poole come to town and when they manage to beat us. Pirates rarely have bad teams and in sport that’s the way it works. 

There’s no entitlement. We e to earn our wins like any other team. The difference is the club is run to win trophies and titles, not make up the numbers and hope for the occasional success. We should have won last night and we should win today if it’s on. That’s club mentality. No being second best.

Hey Steve, why do I support Poole when I live in Long Eaton? :rofl:

13 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

But even Berwick chose 1 and 3 when we went for H15. Is that cos they would have more 2 and 4 near the end of the meeting esp H13?

Let's sort this out.  Poole won the toss, and as a result enjoyed 8 starts out of gate 4 against Berwick's seven.   What disadvantage?   

They lost by not utilising Hume (who had been excellent at Berwick 7 days previously) enough -- he should have been in both Heats 12 and 14 -- and perhaps might still have won if Danny King's tactical had been in white, not yellow.

None of which detracts from a very good night out, with (almost) all the travelling Pirate fans both gracious and cheerful in defeat.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Let's sort this out.  Poole won the toss, and as a result enjoyed 8 starts out of gate 4 against Berwick's seven.   What disadvantage?   

They lost by not utilising Hume (who had been excellent at Berwick 7 days previously) enough -- he should have been in both Heats 12 and 14 -- and perhaps might still have won if Danny King's tactical had been in white, not yellow.

None of which detracts from a very good night out, with (almost) all the travelling Pirate fans both gracious and cheerful in defeat.

You will get used to the Poole fans........always a reason why they get beat but when they win its simply because they were the better side....

Blaming gate 4 when they had it more times is laughable but then again you are dealing with Shovlar..........and no disrespect to Berwick but the clown thinks Poole can beat Ipswich and they cant even beat Berwick lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gavan said:

You will get used to the Poole fans........always a reason why they get beat but when they win its simply because they were the better side....

Blaming gate 4 when they had it more times is laughable but then again you are dealing with Shovlar..........and no disrespect to Berwick but the clown thinks Poole can beat Ipswich and they cant even beat Berwick lol

you know as well i do we lost last night because of a crap team manager . anyway glad to hear from you again .onward upwards :t:

• Like 1

Hang on a mo, hang on....... 

The way the announcer and all the Berwick fans had heightened celebrations with the win just goes to prove wot a class team Poole are. 

Fair play to Berwick, a deserved celebration. 

• Haha 1

Shovlar and co showing themselves up saying they should of won. Why is Havelock your manager surely there is someone else out there better for the job?

still think Poole will be there or there abouts  , i would imagine the new Dane would be good for about 5 pts a meeting. 

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

And that is just you!

Crowds may have been worse in the top league as some seasons we could play Swindon 4 times at home during the season. Only die hard fans would watch the same away team come that many times!

Crowds have been good since restrictions lifted, probably because Poole are doing well and different teams every week.

Yes, which means they are fickle & entitled, only go when they are winning, well done for proving my point.

1 minute ago, Pinny said:

Shovlar and co showing themselves up saying they should of won. Why is Havelock your manager surely there is someone else out there better for the job?

still think Poole will be there or there abouts  , i would imagine the new Dane would be good for about 5 pts a meeting. 

All have opinions as well when they don't even move away for Dorset.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

All have opinions as well when they don't even move away for Dorset.

You on about the one who loved Kurtz when at Poole now does nothing bad slate him since he went to BV? The biggest cringe of them all. 

36 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Yes, which means they are fickle & entitled, only go when they are winning, well done for proving my point.

Every set of fans does that! Dear lord.. The teams at the bottom have low crowds and teams and the top have bigger ones. Has always been that way and always will be.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pinny said:

You on about the one who loved Kurtz when at Poole now does nothing bad slate him since he went to BV? The biggest cringe of them all. 

If that's me I definitely slated him when he was at Poole!! Lol. As usual you don't have a clue. Why do you think I voted for the Championship!! Haha.