British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bluebee

Birmingham v Kent 4/8/2021

3 hours ago, iainb said:

The question is, will the "promoters" be "promoting" the next meeting in the same way they were "promoting" this meeting? Or was it just a one off and they think that's it we've now done "promotion".

Does anybody know if the promotions that they did have running were successful? Track walks, meet and greets, viewing from the centre green etc.

I'm sure that the track walk, meeting the riders in the pits, kids on the centre green etc was all very successful given the amount of people who took advantage of it. The pits are always open to fans before around 6.30pm and was great to see all generations getting photos and autographs with riders. 

The kids entertainment was a weekly thing before covid and very popular with different activities every week with riders joining in too. Last night reminded me of 2019 with a really good crowd, lots of fun, families, and some good racing going down to a last heat decider. Well done to all involved and to those that supported it. 

• Like 3

The one thing I take from reading reports about last nights meeting is that it was moved along at some pace, for me gone are the days of pre match parades, a 7:30 start means tape up at 7:30, track grading i can understand but intervals who needs them, keeping the meeting move

They need to keep the kids engaged... If the kids want to go and nagg parents to go, there's every posibility that takeaway and meal out could be replaced by the speedway.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pirio Barre said:

The one thing I take from reading reports about last nights meeting is that it was moved along at some pace, for me gone are the days of pre match parades, a 7:30 start means tape up at 7:30, track grading i can understand but intervals who needs them, keeping the meeting move

It was slick. Everyone appeared to go home happy. Everyone appeared to enjoy catching up with people they hadn't stood by for a while as well. You'll have to pop over and catch up with myself and Ian and Jenny when you next go, I can't remember the last time we spoke! Years I'd guess.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Riss ???

My fear is, he may be 'intentionally' lowering his average.....because if we do fold, he will be more versatile to other teams ? (just a thought)

We all know that 'average' fixing goes on......

I think you will

find it’s more about him reportedly using the Gerhaart engine which doesn’t seem competitive 

8 minutes ago, woofers said:

Here, have a read of the whole statement https://www.eastbourne-speedway.com/eagles-v-brummies-postponed/

OK, I've read it... doesn't explain why it's been called off so early, if you were going to call it on the weather why not wait until Friday evening or early Saturday morning? It sounds more like the GP on the TV is the issue rather than the weather... in which case they should probably be asking themselves why would somebody would prefer to stay at home and watch speedway on the TV rather than experience it live 

For me i'll be staying at home because its a 400 mile round trip, i might (only might) get pinged  and it maybe called off because of the weather. No sorry its not for that. I'll be at home with few brewskis watching the GP.  

35 minutes ago, iainb said:

OK, I've read it... doesn't explain why it's been called off so early, if you were going to call it on the weather why not wait until Friday evening or early Saturday morning? It sounds more like the GP on the TV is the issue rather than the weather... in which case they should probably be asking themselves why would somebody would prefer to stay at home and watch speedway on the TV rather than experience it live 

It does explain it though, rain rain rain and they trust their weather forecaster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, iainb said:

As far as I can see I think they are being very sensible. Saving a lot of time and money for themselves and a lot of others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It does explain it though, rain rain rain and they trust their weather forecaster. 

3 minutes ago, scotty2hotty said:

As far as I can see I think they are being very sensible. Saving a lot of time and money for themselves and a lot of others.

Why so early though? This sets a dangerous precedent imo

Edited by iainb

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

I disagree. It saves possible rent of stadia, travelling expenses, flights and all sorts of other things that have to be done before each meeting. It saves a lot of time effort and money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scotty2hotty said:

I disagree. It saves possible rent of stadia, travelling expenses, flights and all sorts of other things that have to be done before each meeting. It saves a lot of time effort and money.

Well you can't run a league system on this basis, I'm afraid if this is to become the new normal then the leagues need disbanding and individual competitions be run in its place. It renders a fixture list meaningless to cancel based on weather forecasts.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

Maybe they've saved costs like Food and Staff  and Programmes.

Matches have been called 2 days before for a variety of reasons. 

What would you rather a Club do, call it off an hour before or once everyone has paid to get in.

There are close links with Lee Kilby and Brummies, he was there last night and great to see him maybe Eastie have done Brummies a favour and given them a few days more to decide what they want to do? Don't the Masons live near Eastbourne.?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HGould said:

Maybe they've saved costs like Food and Staff  and Programmes.

Matches have been called 2 days before for a variety of reasons. 

What would you rather a Club do, call it off an hour before or once everyone has paid to get in.

There are close links with Lee Kilby and Brummies, he was there last night and great to see him maybe Eastie have done Brummies a favour and given them a few days more to decide what they want to do? Don't the Masons live near Eastbourne.?

If i had to call it off based on a weather forecast,  I would at least wait until the day of the event