British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe v Redcar - 13.08.21

21 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

To be fair there was a very slow A1 almost all the way from teesside to the m62 turn off.

Exactly, I joined the queue, just before 7 20. This was not a football match, (I have even seen them delayed), this was a speedway match, where every paying customer counts. Try telling Birmingham or Newcastle, customers views don't count. Speedway is not in a position to say to fans, thats the way it is take it or leave it, because the view has been for many, we'll leave it. Oh and by the way aiithegear, if your view is representative of Berwick speedway, I won't be going there either.

If Carlsberg did speedway meetings then last night would have been it!

The racing was simply brilliant, the result wasn't decided until the final bend, and fans from both sides contributed to a great atmosphere.

• Like 1

Excellent meeting - so many good races it would be difficult to recall them all.

Well done to both teams!

I said to people around me after Jake won heat 12 & fearing the worst with the riders Redcar would have had for heats 13-15, win, lose or draw I have been thoroughly entertained.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Exactly, I joined the queue, just before 7 20. This was not a football match, (I have even seen them delayed), this was a speedway match, where every paying customer counts. Try telling Birmingham or Newcastle, customers views don't count. Speedway is not in a position to say to fans, thats the way it is take it or leave it, because the view has been for many, we'll leave it. Oh and by the way aiithegear, if your view is representative of Berwick speedway, I won't be going there either.

What’s my view got to do with Berwick speedway? :unsure:Strange comment? The question should be why were the queues so bad then? What were they doing? All turnstiles open? I’ve been to Scunny plenty, lucky if I’ve seen over 400 fans, can’t be having queues for that

2 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

What’s my view got to do with Berwick speedway? :unsure:Strange comment? The question should be why were the queues so bad then? What were they doing? All turnstiles open? I’ve been to Scunny plenty, lucky if I’ve seen over 400 fans, can’t be having queues for that

Simple fact you were not there, there were probably close to a 1000 people there, bolstered by many Redcar fans. It was an attractive fixture, I saw fans from Leicester, and Peterborough and Sheffield. I arrived there at 7.10, after an arduous journey down the A1. Car park was full, had to park in the industrial estate, joined the long, slow moving queue, through basicly one turnstile. This was to find that at exactly 7.30, the 2 minute warning went on and racing commenced, with no regard for the people stuck outside. I have been to many meetings where the start has been delayed and most good promoters, know whats going on at the gate. If Mr Godfrey knew, he wasn't bothered about it. This was not a good example of customer relations and no wonder, speedway is in the state its in. The one saving grace, the quality of the match.

I was on a bit of a speedway tour taking in 5 meetings this week at 4 tracks I hadn't visited before - this meeting was by far and away the best of the week. Looking at the track when I arrived I knew this would produce good racing - nice thick dirt instead of the flat sandy surfaces that seem usual nowadays.  The riders then threw themselves into the racing and just about every point was fought over. Particularly impressive was Jordan Palin, who really produced some excitement that didn't always lead to maximum points, but surely underlined his potential.

Well done Scunthorpe - I loved it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Simple fact you were not there, there were probably close to a 1000 people there, bolstered by many Redcar fans. It was an attractive fixture, I saw fans from Leicester, and Peterborough and Sheffield. I arrived there at 7.10, after an arduous journey down the A1. Car park was full, had to park in the industrial estate, joined the long, slow moving queue, through basicly one turnstile. This was to find that at exactly 7.30, the 2 minute warning went on and racing commenced, with no regard for the people stuck outside. I have been to many meetings where the start has been delayed and most good promoters, know whats going on at the gate. If Mr Godfrey knew, he wasn't bothered about it. This was not a good example of customer relations and no wonder, speedway is in the state its in. The one saving grace, the quality of the match.

So they had 1 turnstile open? That was it? There’s the issue right there, don’t prepare, prepare to fail. 

16 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

So they had 1 turnstile open? That was it? There’s the issue right there, don’t prepare, prepare to fail. 

We only have 2 one is for cash payments one is for online payment. Personally got to the track at 7.20 and was in by 7.25 through the online section . THere was a sizeable queue to pay though 

Edited by phillwhitewasmad

Anne, in the left hand(online) turnstile, started taking cash as her queue had vanished at about 7.10-7.15.

Meetings have been delayed in the past due to queues so maybe the referee & Rob were not told.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. :t::drink:

I go to away meetings and possibly over think my journey and I get to near the location of the track at least 90 mins before the first race and then get a snack or coffee etc , I’ve traveled up and down the country with work and for example it states  3 hrs to destination doesn’t mean it will be 3 hrs give yourself time and add more time onto your journey it’s better to be in the stadium early rather than miss some races    . Don’t blame Scunthorpe speedway for you not been at your destination on time 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

I go to away meetings and possibly over think my journey and I get to near the location of the track at least 90 mins before the first race and then get a snack or coffee etc , I’ve traveled up and down the country with work and for example it states  3 hrs to destination doesn’t mean it will be 3 hrs give yourself time and add more time onto your journey it’s better to be in the stadium early rather than miss some races    . Don’t blame Scunthorpe speedway for you not been at your destination on time 

No I blame Scunthorpe speedway for not communicating, that there was a problem at the entrance and acting on it. The customers should not have been compromised by the promotions inability to cope with the volume of people, before the start. I was  at the stadium,  20 minutes before the start. A good promoter (like CVS) would have been on it in a flash and acted accordingly and delayed the start.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

No I blame Scunthorpe speedway for not communicating, that there was a problem at the entrance and acting on it. The customers should not have been compromised by the promotions inability to cope with the volume of people, before the start. I was  at the stadium,  20 minutes before the start. A good promoter (like CVS) would have been on it in a flash and acted accordingly and delayed the start.

Tbf rob normally does delay the start like he did at the start of the season against Plymouth 

• Like 1