British Speedway Forum
BEATTHEBOOKIEBOB

Kent v Edinburgh 10/08/21

On 8/11/2021 at 12:46 PM, Fromafar said:

Crang doesn’t look the answer to reserve problem

I wonder what the all time record is between signing for the Monarchs and scoring your first point.

Crang is currently on 10 rides without any reward for his efforts.

7 hours ago, cityrebel said:

He doesn't control parades, intervals and tractor breaks. That is down to the promoter. 

He could probably intervene if he wanted to if he thought it was important.

2 hours ago, East End Fan said:

He could probably intervene if he wanted to if he thought it was important.

McGregor used the red lights for the tractor at the Under 21s! Although personally don't think refs should have any control over that when they don't have the knowledge of track work. Clerk of the Course is there for a reason 

8 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

McGregor used the red lights for the tractor at the Under 21s! Although personally don't think refs should have any control over that when they don't have the knowledge of track work. Clerk of the Course is there for a reason 

Kent is a totally different. It has the meanest curfew in the country, with a mere 2 hours to complete the meeting. Tuesday's heat 2 pile up meant it was always going to be tight to beat the clock.

3 hours ago, King Jamie said:

I wonder what the all time record is between signing for the Monarchs and scoring your first point.

Crang is currently on 10 rides without any reward for his efforts.

I started investigating and found rather to my amazement that of the 301 riders Edinburgh have used, a remarkable 63 have failed to score on their debut. This merry band includes the following:

George Hunter

Bert Harkins

Dave Trownson

Rory Schlein

Max Fricke

Dan Bewley

Here are the longest running initial non-scorers prior to this season:

Jye Etheridge 9, Sean Courtney 8, Paul Gould 8, Lee Dicken 8, Aaron Fox 8, Dan Bewley 7, Bert Harkins 7, Gary Phelps 7, John Paul 6, Dudley McKean 6, Michael Lowrie 6, Marcel Helfer 6, Tommy Fenwick 6.

But there is one other – with more than 10. I’ll tell you who it is once Luke gets his first point, hopefully tomorrow. One thing the investigation shows is that it is often some of the best riders who make a slow start – but are persevered with.

Edited by Al Stewart
Correct a mistake
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Al Stewart said:

I started investigating and found rather to my amazement that of the 301 riders Edinburgh have used, a remarkable 63 have failed to score on their debut. This merry band includes the following:

George Hunter

Bert Harkins

Dave Trownson

Rory Schlein

Max Fricke

Dan Bewley

Jye Etheridge 9, Sean Courtney 8, Paul Gould 8, Lee Dicken 8, Aaron Fox 8, Dan Bewley 7, Bert Harkins 7, Gary Phelps 7, John Paul 6, Dudley McKean 6, Michael Lowrie 6, Marcel Helfer 6, Tommy Fenwick 6.

But there is one other – with more than 10. I’ll tell you who it is once Luke gets his first point, hopefully tomorrow. One thing the investigation shows is that it is often some of the best riders who make a slow start – but are persevered with.

I’ll take a punt on Scott Lamb

That's quite a list! And some very interesting names on there.

Cheers for your hard work Al :)

3 hours ago, Al Stewart said:

George Hunter

Bert Harkins

Dave Trownson

Rory Schlein

Max Fricke

Dan Bewley

Must admit never heard of Marcel Helfer.!

11 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

2012 + 2013 Edinburgh Monarch.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

2012 + 2013 Edinburgh Monarch.

Also raced at Berwick in one of the FlM meetings -- the one that was postponed until the Monday night, l think....

12 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Helfer was largely disappointing, although he did impersonate a speedway rider on occasion by randomly bursting out the traps and claiming a shock victory.

He did win a race at Berwick. Heat 14 if I remember correctly.

It was just after James Grieves had successfully held off a very strong challenge by Sebastian Alden (?)

Pretty sure that was the same night I cheered for Sneddon when he was out against (and defeating) Micky Dyer!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

Helfer was largely disappointing, although he did impersonate a speedway rider on occasion by randomly bursting out the traps and claiming a shock victory.

He did win a race at Berwick. Heat 14 if I remember correctly.

It was just after James Grieves had successfully held off a very strong challenge by Sebastian Alden (?)

Pretty sure that was the same night I cheered for Sneddon when he was out against (and defeating) Micky Dyer!

It’s a age thing! Probably seen1/2 his meetings at that time.:rolleyes::D

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

Pretty sure that was the same night I cheered for Sneddon ......

You what? You must have been on pretty strong medication that night!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, arnieg said:

You what? You must have been on pretty strong medication that night!

It was more due to his opponent in that particular race than the man himself.

That said, we do actually speak to each other nowadays, albeit Sneddon's visits to sunny Armadale are even less frequent than mine.

Our 'moment of truce' came in the Gents toilets (:blush:) following the 2014 Play-Off Final victory over Somerset and moments after the skipper had announced his retiral from the sport.

• Confused 1

This Kent v Edinburgh column has turned out to be Edinburgh Nostalgia.  Any input from Kent fans ?  Maybe our history is too short ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1