British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jonny the spud

British final 2021

On 8/16/2021 at 7:56 PM, mikebv said:

Hence it looks a 'decent' crowd if you take away the far right of the  grandstand as you look...

Standing looks a bit 'socially distanced'....  -_-

Our party of three sat on the second-to-back row of the main stand. Second visit to the NSS. I haven't seen an attendance announced. Any idea what it looked like? How much bigger than Belle Vue's usual turnout?

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

46 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Our party of three sat on the second-to-back row of the main stand. Second visit to the NSS. I haven't seen an attendance announced. Any idea what it looked like? How much bigger than Belle Vue's usual turnout?

Only anecdotal obviously from what I saw on TV, but..

The main stand looked a bit more than two thirds, but not quite three quarters, full, and holds almost 1800, so 1300 to 1400 in there I would say..

Back straight looked a bit spread out so 300 to 400 tops I would have thought..

If 1800 then that is (i think) around 400 more than a "Good Crowd" to watch the Aces...

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Only anecdotal obviously from what I saw on TV, but..

The main stand looked a bit more than two thirds, but not quite three quarters, full, and holds almost 1800, so 1300 to 1400 in there I would say..

Back straight looked a bit spread out so 300 to 400 tops I would have thought..

If 1800 then that is (i think) around 400 more than a "Good Crowd" to watch the Aces...

And I watched the 1974 British Final on YouTube last night, and Coventry was packed to the rafters... :(

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chunky said:

And I watched the 1974 British Final on YouTube last night, and Coventry was packed to the rafters... :(

Indeed...

But to be fair. ...

If that 1974 final was ran on a Monday night...

And shown live on TV....

With a line up that (apart from one rider), was made up of 2nd Division heat leaders and second strings...

Like this year's British Final was...

I don't think it would have been 'packed to the rafters'...

The way the NSS wasnt the other night...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Indeed...

But to be fair. ...

And shown live on TV....

With a line up that (apart from one rider), was made up of 2nd Division heat leaders and second strings...

Well, it was on a Wednesday, and I don't think that Wednesdays are that much better than Mondays. I went to several British Finals on a Wednesday, and they all had WAY more than 2000 people.

Even were it shown on live TV, the place would have been packed.

Maybe a diluted lineup would have had an effect, but realistically, would Woffinden and Lambert had that much of an effect at the NSS?

Back in the day, people attended as much for the occasion, as they did for the interest in who was riding...

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 5:56 PM, mikebv said:

Indeed...

But to be fair. ...

And shown live on TV....

Having attended on Monday, shortly after going to Scunthorpe on Friday (my first meetings since 2017), I couldn't help marvelling at how unlikely - not all that long ago - it would have been for a British Final to feature second tier riders. Several of those who appeared in Friday's Scunthorpe-Redcar meeting rode at Belle Vue on Monday. Imagine, say, Kevin Teager or Steve Wilcock making a British Final! No disrespect to those who rode in the 2021 British Final but the quality of the field is a clear indication of British speedway's decline.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 3

Just now, Piotr Pyszny said:

Having attended on Monday, shortly after going to Scunthorpe on Friday (my first meetings since 2017), I couldn't help marvelling at how unlikely - not all that long ago - it have would have been for a British Final to feature second tier riders. Several of those who appeared in Friday's Scunthorpe-Redcar meeting rode at Belle Vue on Monday. Imagine, say, Kevin Teager or Steve Wilcock making a British Final! No disrespect to those who rode in the 2021 British Final but the quality of the field is a clear indication of British speedway's decline.

Yet both those lads would be "fans favourites" at their respective tracks and could stand out in meetings at that level...

Every track in the 2nd tier seemed to have one 'main man', one young up and coming rider as a heat leader, and then five willing "ok" lads joining them..

All 'semi pro' who had day jobs..

Now the 2nd Division has three Division One heat leaders in several teams...

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Indeed...

But to be fair. ...

And shown live on TV....

Weird argument.

If 1974 had been exactly like 2021 then 1974 wouldn't have been the same as it was then !

No sh!t Sherlock !

2 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

No disrespect to those who rode in the 2021 British Final but the quality of the field is a clear indication of British speedway's decline.

I remember the big deal made when Yeatesy made the British Final!

9 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Weird argument.

If 1974 had been exactly like 2021 then 1974 wouldn't have been the same as it was then !

No sh!t Sherlock !

???

My point is in 1974, if the British Final was held full of 2nd Diviison heat leaders and second strings riding, (like this years was), would it have been "as packed" as it was that year, watching genuine world class talent?

Of course it wouldnt have been.. 

And even if the racing had been just "ok" and not as good as the NSS on Monday, its obvious the night will live longer in the memory purely down to the sense of occasion...

A sense of occasion delivered by a prize that truly meant something given the amount of talent in those days who could genuinely feel they were in with a chance, and the fact failure meant no World Championship that year..

And also, a sense of occasion brought on by the huge crowd...

THE most important factor by far to deliver an atmosphere at a sporting event that makes you look back and remember it fondly..

Many remember the 70's in particular through rose coloured specs..

In reality the racing at some tracks today is at least on a par, and for me, even better at some tracks, than what was delivered then..

And many meetings I saw at Hyde Rd were hammerings with PC and Ivan often miles in front of the other three..

The differences were the operating model that ensured a greater emotional attachment to your team, and, most importantly, packed terraces that made every race, never mind every meeting, seem like "an event"...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

In reality the racing at some tracks today is at least on a par, and for me, even better at some tracks, than what was delivered then..

I think in reality racing doesn't have that much to do with attracting a crowd. BV can't even get close to filling their place for anything other than a SoN event. While people, including myself, turn up every week to watch the cr@p served up at Leicester.

It's all about credibility, the SoN is a credible event, held on the best track in the country, with the best facilities, with credible pairs/teams racing against each other.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I think in reality racing doesn't have that much to do with attracting a crowd. BV can't even get close to filling their place for anything other than a SoN event. While people, including myself, turn up every week to watch the cr@p served up at Leicester.

It's all about credibility, the SoN is a credible event, held on the best track in the country, with the best facilities, with credible pairs/teams racing against each other.

All the FIM events in this country certainly get me and my lad attending..

Pity there isnt more..

SEC round, GP Challenge, U21 Final etc..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikebv said:

All the FIM events in this country certainly get me and my lad attending..

Pity there isnt more..

SEC round, GP Challenge, U21 Final etc..

With Eurosport taking over the operation of the GP's it makes me wonder if we've seen the last GP at Cardiff and other venues similar. Don't know if the Cardiff contract has expired or if it's been null and voided by the circumstances of the last 2 years?

17 hours ago, mikebv said:

Indeed...

But to be fair. ...

And shown live on TV....

In 1974 it would have been.

22 minutes ago, iainb said:

With Eurosport taking over the operation of the GP's it makes me wonder if we've seen the last GP at Cardiff and other venues similar. Don't know if the Cardiff contract has expired or if it's been null and voided by the circumstances of the last 2 years?

Wasnt this the "Jewel in the BSI crown"?

Hence they marketed it themselves and paid for the venue, rather than take a fee and let another promotion run it, (with Wales' tourist board financial support I think)..

I presume it depends on how much it can deliver in £'s to the series owners, whether or not Cardiff stays on the rota..