British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jonny the spud

British final 2021

Given the way that Poland seems to be the Mecca of speedway nowadays, I can see most of the gps being held there with maybe the odd venture into Sweden or Denmark. Easier for riders to get about too, so sadly we might just have seen the last of Cardiff. I was told that all the shale they use for Cardiff has been sold/dissappeared too so who knows... 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Given the way that Poland seems to be the Mecca of speedway nowadays, I can see most of the gps being held there with maybe the odd venture into Sweden or Denmark. Easier for riders to get about too, so sadly we might just have seen the last of Cardiff. I was told that all the shale they use for Cardiff has been sold/dissappeared too so who knows... 

I don’t agree. We have seen that if a promotor in a far off country has the money then there may well be a GP ie New Zealand. 

4 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I don’t agree. We have seen that if a promotor in a far off country has the money then there may well be a GP ie New Zealand. 

Didn't the gps in Australia lose an awful lot of money tho and take into account the planning and organising to get riders and equipment there it's probably a bit of a ballache for everyone. Don't get me wrong, I think it should be spread around and venture to new countries but just right now Poland seems to run the show and the riders seem happy to go with it 

a more adventurous approach would see Spain, Italy, USA, Germany etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

Didn't the gps in Australia lose an awful lot of money tho and take into account the planning and organising to get riders and equipment there it's probably a bit of a ballache for everyone. Don't get me wrong, I think it should be spread around and venture to new countries but just right now Poland seems to run the show and the riders seem happy to go with it 

The reason why Poland for 2020 and 21 are having more GPs is entirely due to COVID. Travelling last year and up to middle of this has been restricted to to C19’ . Getting across borders and possibility of having to isolate has caused problems. With Vaculik injured the replace,met should have been Locachev from Ukraine, but he couldn’t get back to Ukraine isolation) to get a visa for next go. That’s how it goes, C19 still causing problems. And you know that Polish speedway is awash with money, so it’s only them (basically) that can afford double weekend GP’s. It would have been good to see 2 gp’s at Malilla but I suspect promotors short of money.

And yes you are right, Australia and New Zealand didn’t make any money, that why if a promotor has money to burn the gp circus will go distances, sadly not enough promotors with spare cash

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

a more adventurous approach would see Spain, Italy, USA, Germany etc. 

Italy has held crop FIM contest ie world team championship, best pairs and I think they had GP Challenge final. Germany has a GP round, this years got cancelled due to COVID restrictions, Spain is massively into MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3, Red Bull Challenge etc training young kids from very young age - would be difficult to break into Spain with speedway. USA, even in the heights of USA riders, and they were extremely good for years, had a World Championship final in Los Angeles, and I think a world team championship, but it never caught on for big tracks, they like Costa Mesa which can’t be much longer then a cycle speedway track I used to race. And remember Ivan Mauger and Barry Briggs took a world class tour of USA on massive stadia but it didn’t catch on some 40 years ago. Argentina has a rider in Europe. Again Ivan and Barry took riders to Arab countries, no real interest. South Africa was popular 50/60 years ago, but short lived.  More effort and help could be put into Europe, Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania, even Finland and Norway struggle, France is simmering, why it’s not bigger there, don’t know, Austria has produced good riders50/60 years ago, Hungary too. Difficult, needs money thrown at it but it may all fail.

22 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

The reason why Poland for 2020 and 21 are having more GPs is entirely due to COVID.

Totally irrelevant, according to iainb. It's so unfair; it's just a ploy to get a Polish world champ, 'cos Zmarzlik isn't good enough to win on merit... :rofl:

Edited by chunky
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Dog said:

Didn't the gps in Australia lose an awful lot of money tho and take into account the planning and organising to get riders and equipment there it's probably a bit of a ballache for everyone. 

Even more of a ball ache to get to Togliatti next weekend, the kit is being air freighted out, visas are needed and it's in the @rse end of nowhere in a country not recognised by the sporting world!

10 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

The reason why Poland for 2020 and 21 are having more GPs is entirely due to COVID. Travelling last year and up to middle of this has been restricted to to C19’ . Getting across borders and possibility of having to isolate has caused problems. With Vaculik injured the replace,met should have been Locachev from Ukraine, but he couldn’t get back to Ukraine isolation) to get a visa for next go. That’s how it goes, C19 still causing problems. And you know that Polish speedway is awash with money, so it’s only them (basically) that can afford double weekend GP’s. It would have been good to see 2 gp’s at Malilla but I suspect promotors short of money.

And yes you are right, Australia and New Zealand didn’t make any money, that why if a promotor has money to burn the gp circus will go distances, sadly not enough promotors with spare cash

Covid may have been a fair reason for 2020, 2021 though? GP's being held in Czech Republic, Sweden, Denmark and even Russia!! SoN in England, SEC in Germany, SGP Qualifiers in Italy, Scotland, Croatia and Hungary... all with riders riding in UK, Poland, Sweden, Denmark etc.

10 hours ago, chunky said:

Totally irrelevant, according to iainb. It's so unfair; it's just a ploy to get a Polish world champ, 'cos Zmarzlik isn't good enough to win on merit... :rofl:

You know it's not fair, you're just too pig headed to admit it... oink oink!

Edited by iainb

If a British gp comes back, much rather it was at Belle Vue. What's the point in a national stadium if it doesn't get used for the highest level of competition? 

Could extra temporary stands go up here - or another decent UK track?

5 minutes ago, heat9coffee said:

If a British gp comes back, much rather it was at Belle Vue. What's the point in a national stadium if it doesn't get used for the highest level of competition? 

Could extra temporary stands go up here - or another decent UK track?

Capacity is the only problem regarding Belle Vue,had temporary stands for WTC but the attendance was still only 9-10,000.Cardiff is normally 30-40,000.

17 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Capacity is the only problem regarding Belle Vue,had temporary stands for WTC but the attendance was still only 9-10,000.Cardiff is normally 30-40,000.

And the roof.........

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

And the roof.........

Dont need a roof in Manchester...

It never rains... :D

6 hours ago, iainb said:

You know it's not fair, you're just too pig headed to admit it... oink oink!

Is it perfect? No. Is it unfair? No.

I didn't see you whining about how unfair it was to hold the British Final at the NSS...

19 minutes ago, chunky said:

Is it perfect? No. Is it unfair? No.

I didn't see you whining about how unfair it was to hold the British Final at the NSS...

One off event, no comparison, would Bewley have come 2nd at Eastbourne,  highly unlikely. 

6 out of 11 WC events in a single country? It's clearly unfair, oink oink

6 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

And the roof.........

It would be better for Roofless Robert Lambert.

Here all week