British Speedway Forum

25 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Just out of interest,, do we think a bit less effort goes into our team building or rider scouting and things like that because it has a good fan base and probably the best sponsor?  So everything is a bit taken for granted 

I don’t think that’s the case personally. I genuinely believe Louis wants to win as much as any of us fans. Born and bred in Ipswich and despite being told many times to move to a different club to further his career during his riding years, couldn’t bring himself to ride for anyone else. 

I think he tries his best, but unfortunately just hasn’t found the winning formula and has at times made some baffling decisions from the outside. No major trophy on his watch since taking over from Tiger despite being well backed financially, is something he has to take on the chin. 

• Like 1

Apart from any TV work is this chris dole income? If so its budgeted that way where as other promoters may have other income or their track takes additional income I.e. food and drink, I could be wrong but sure I read a few years back it's his sole income.

I just hope if this season ends up like last time they give it a go in a different direction or drop down 

We've cried out for a number 1 now they have one it's looking like we're a little lost further down

Basso & Musielak must have been possible this year based on purely financials, witches must be able to offer similar to other clubs but is it a case of its Doyle or bust

I'll give it til June when someone starts Ipswich Witches 2023 lol

15 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Apart from any TV work is this chris dole income? If so its budgeted that way where as other promoters may have other income or their track takes additional income I.e. food and drink, I could be wrong but sure I read a few years back it's his sole income.

I just hope if this season ends up like last time they give it a go in a different direction or drop down 

We've cried out for a number 1 now they have one it's looking like we're a little lost further down

Basso & Musielak must have been possible this year based on purely financials, witches must be able to offer similar to other clubs but is it a case of its Doyle or bust

I'll give it til June when someone starts Ipswich Witches 2023 lol

Well the water is free,,, try putting some on the track to aid entertainment at least.

There are plenty of young Danes and the like to try out,,, how about actually trying them. 

If they want to keep Heeps at 2,,he should be told to go out after the meeting and do 4 laps around the curb,, and keep doing it till he gets it right,, yes he came out after the meeting last night,, but just went mid track lap after lap,, 

Edited by Baldyman

Heeps having another stinker for Oxford. A single gifted point when Newman fell from his opening 3 rides. Ok he’s never been a world beater, but quite incredible how he’s seemingly hit a brick wall since the start of last year. Something seriously wrong with him. 

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I don’t think that’s the case personally. I genuinely believe Louis wants to win as much as any of us fans. Born and bred in Ipswich and despite being told many times to move to a different club to further his career during his riding years, couldn’t bring himself to ride for anyone else. 

I think he tries his best, but unfortunately just hasn’t found the winning formula and has at times made some baffling decisions from the outside. No major trophy on his watch since taking over from Tiger despite being well backed financially, is something he has to take on the chin. 

He may need to think with his head rather than his heart. Hawkins would not hold down a job anywhere else in the sport and should go. Maybe the riders are given generous terms that are sufficient to cover the costs of turning up and hence the pressure to perform is not on, who knows. 

Sadly the Ipswich teams in recent years have been made up of riders who have no real passion for the Ipswich name and notwithstanding the good support, the on the track performance has left fans wanting. Success is a long way off, riders and management talk about fortress Foxhall but that is hot air.

Wholesale changes were needed at many levels but alas you have the same old and with the limited number of meetings in a season and nothing new in terms of promotion, speedway as a form of entertainment and racing formulas etc. that fails to inspire new followers.

Added to this the early woeful performance of riders particularly Heeps and Batchelor in this league and a team that does not inspire confidence. How much longer must this continue before someone decides to get a grip with all that is sadly in wrong as far as speedway at Ipswich is concerned. It was nearly lost once before, it could still happen unless those in charge and the riders think about some pay back to those loyal followers who crave success.

25 minutes ago, Steve Irving said:

Heeps having another stinker for Oxford. A single gifted point when Newman fell from his opening 3 rides. Ok he’s never been a world beater, but quite incredible how he’s seemingly hit a brick wall since the start of last year. Something seriously wrong with him. 

I would suggest he is about two stone heavier than Danny king who is of similar height. 
if you put a extra two stone on any riders bike they would be at a massive disadvantage.  
he has had 8 months to work on his fitness and it looks like he hasn’t bothered.  When he was trim in 2019 he had his best ever season by a mile.  He was fantastic and a joy to watch.  I want that Cameron at foxhall. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Steve Irving said:

A big 3 points for Heeos tonight however the only rider he actually beat across the line was Nathan Stoneman , one of his teammates 

With the way the track was early doors, Hawkins just needed to get the riders together and fire a rocket up them

"I want to see every rider fight for that first corner, elbows out" 

I think with what I saw when I moved to view from the home straight grandstand, ritchie comes across as a bit of a fan boy to some riders but he is a promoter now or director so he is here to stay

Just gotta hope it improves over the next couple of meetings, Riss looks like he will be ok, King should come good although may drop his average slightly over the course of the season

I have a feeling batch will be okay

I just fear the heeps/starke factor, and that is I dont think Starke will offer much other than at 6, and if cameron drops to 6 I dont think he will score as much as Starke can potentially

The exact issue Peterborough dont have as they have 6 riders who will score points and kings Lynn to a lesser extent are the same

I think Ipswich are on par with Wolves right now, Belle Vue will sort of the same with either Blodorn or Etheridge in the main body though they'll soon have a quartet of Fricke, Zagar, Wright and Kurtz and arguably one of the top rising stars... so what they lack at 6 if Etheridge drops there they make up with Brennan

Rowe should come good over the next couple of meetings, if not they need to decide when Danyon gets an opportunity as Hawkins has already said he is happy to tinker

It could still work or it may backfire taking risks on riders on low averages who have not performed in the previous year, if so the lesson is take a risk with a rider potentially on a false low average who I.e. Basso/Musielak 

• Like 1

For me yes 1 home meeting and to see the effort  some of them riders shown ....well be a while for I'm back.

Always want us to win but if we don't and was a good meeting its soften the loss. For riders not to be ready etc over weight etc you get what you deserve...nothing. we have a manager  who think his a clown and talks about lynn and  wooden spoons . Joke or no joke you don't want to hear someone  who is representing  your club saying that about others ...ye fans can and do bit banter.

And with things how there are today cost of living etc I love my speedway  and witches but I can live with out it and keep my £20 yes £20 to meself. Moan over  was looking forward  to a good meeting and got that

2 hours ago, Steve Irving said:

Always struggled at Poole tbh, I wouldn't read too much into it. Batch struggling at Poole more of an issue as needed this meeting to bounce back into some form...? 

Always struggled at a lot of tracks,, and that's a problem if a team is serious about winning anything. 

There must be a shale shortage in the country as there was nothing at Poole last night either. I was looking forward to the meeting but unfortunately Oxford didn't turn up. Of the Ipswich riders Cam and Batch.were woeful but Danny found some speed thank goodness. One piece of good news was that Danyon scored 7 at Glasgow so could he be in the Witches team sooner rather than later?. 

I thought Rowe in particular was disappointing - this is a rider that was getting double figures at number two isn't it?  What's happened?

19 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I thought Rowe in particular was disappointing - this is a rider that was getting double figures at number two isn't it?  What's happened?

Rowe started last season on fire then tailed of badly but had some injury problems along the way, i dunno what went on with Drew Kemp coz thought he was a better option then Rowe overall.