British Speedway Forum
SharpenRake

Edinburgh v Glasgow - Friday/Saturday - 15/16 October

14 minutes ago, Robinh88 said:

What a load of nonsense! 

Not at all.  You obviously can't handle the reasonable enough question.

10 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

That’s the play off,last night was KO Cup.Poole already in final.

Yep, if Poole go out to Leicester tonight. Can do our leg next week! Haven't looked yet to see what dates were supposedly mentioned. 

18 minutes ago, spt82 said:

So where do you think the match should've taken place? Of course the outcome would've been different on another track but again seems a pointless question to ask.

As for Nowak cancelling out Sedgmen, I seem to remember Sedgy getting a max in his final match at Ashfield, so maybe not.

Scores 7 last Edinburgh meeting by beating Lawson all night. He scored 12 (not a max was excluded in heat 15) cause knew was getting the sack. If had ridden like that all year wouldn't have been replaced.

Edited by Jaizer

12 minutes ago, spt82 said:

So where do you think the match should've taken place? Of course the outcome would've been different on another track but again seems a pointless question to ask.

As for Nowak cancelling out Sedgmen, I seem to remember Sedgy getting a max in his final match at Ashfield, so maybe not.

First one.  Not really.  A reasonable enough open question neither one way or the other as an open question is.

Second one.  That is also possible although Sedgmen's last match was too little too late, my point was to speculate what Sedgmen's scoring would have been at Armadale although possibly balanced out by Nowak's scoring at Ashfield i.e. consistent scoring over a few matches, so essentially just a balanced view of 'what ifs', this way or that.

33 minutes ago, Cookiefan said:

Ok, Glasgow had an awful meeting, it happens, Monarchs were up for it and deserved to go through to the final, Edinburgh is not a trick track but is a technical one , and often riders see it for the first time and it gets in their heads, took Josh G a few years to get round it, as for Tom , he has been brought up riding another technical track at Eastbourne, so adapted easily and for some of the comments on here that Tom was cheating in heat 15 by falling off because we were losing on a 5-1, give your heads a wobble as Tom gives 100% and is still young , he made a mistake, no way would he risk an injury by deliberately falling off when he has some big meetings coming up. Edinburgh have 3 solid heat leaders and a very impressive second string in Kye Thomson, Glasgow have 1 heatleader since Ulrich was injured and have done well to finish 2nd in the league, I reckon the Monarchs are peaking at the right time and will go all the way , and good luck to them. Please stop with the money men can't buy a league title crap, us fans have been through extremely difficult times over the years and are happy to be secure that we have a team each year to follow. I Don't mind a bit of banter but some of it is below the belt, football type stuff, such as the unwashed weegies, not funny. Rant over

Think if match rained off today Glasgow will regroup and start favourites. Don’t see Wells and Nicol riding as poorly again and young Tom was very impressive. We were awful at Ashfield, would like to think we could do better but weather played a part in preparation of both tracks. I would rather go to Ashfield having to defend a lead (hopefully) than have to make up points at the Dale. Don’t see Glasgow making same mistakes twice if second leg at the Dale. Thought our 3 young riders did well last night. As I said in previous post good and bad fans in all clubs.

2 minutes ago, GS550 said:

First one.  Not really.  A reasonable enough open question neither one way or the other as an open question is.

Second one.  That is also possible although Sedgmen's last match was too little too late, my point was to speculate what Sedgmen's scoring would have been at Armadale although possibly balanced out by Nowak's scoring at Ashfield i.e. consistent scoring over a few matches, so essentially just a balanced view of 'what ifs', this way or that.

That’s a gamble your promotion took. Signing a Pole who would be A1 at Ashfield but Poole, Redcar and Edinburgh were all still in play offs. Justin always been a bit of an SOS rider. Thought he would have flourished riding with Cookie but it didn’t work out.

2 hours ago, GS550 said:

The question arises, how different would it have been if the match had been ridden on an actual speedway track rather than a postage stamp 'Mickey Mouse' track.  And should there be a minimum size of track to be permitted to stage official speedway meetings.  'Racing' at Armadale never seems to look like 'speedway' as most people know it, the riders seem to stall and almost come to a complete halt on the bends.  That an experienced Polish rider couldn't even turn the bike on it probably says more about the deficiencies of the track than it does the rider.

Other 'what ifs' such as if Ostergaard had been fit, although unlikely to have done better than Brennan, and Sedgmen would probably have done better than Nowak at Armadale although probably less well at Ashfield so again probably cancels out.

Blantyre 1

Blantyre 2

4 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Think if match rained off today Glasgow will regroup and start favourites. Don’t see Wells and Nicol riding as poorly again and young Tom was very impressive. We were awful at Ashfield, would like to think we could do better but weather played a part in preparation of both tracks. I would rather go to Ashfield having to defend a lead (hopefully) than have to make up points at the Dale. Don’t see Glasgow making same mistakes twice if second leg at the Dale. Thought our 3 young riders did well last night. As I said in previous post good and bad fans in all clubs.

Lots of variables can change the outcome off a meeting , if we go into the P/O Semi Final with the mindset we did last night then we will suffer the same heavy defeat we did last night.

Tom will be a miss and we are a man down at the Dale with Marcin I just cant see us keeping it close enough and Thursday will be a dead rubber, hope i am wrong but I cant see anything other than a convincing Monarchs win tonight.

1 minute ago, Endeavour said:

That’s a gamble your promotion took. Signing a Pole who would be A1 at Ashfield but Poole, Redcar and Edinburgh were all still in play offs. Justin always been a bit of an SOS rider. Thought he would have flourished riding with Cookie but it didn’t work out.

Who is "your"??

That it was a gamble taken by the Glasgow promotion is a given, I was merely posing a couple of 'what ifs' e.g. Ostergaard, and also Sedgmen although largely cancelled out given their respective scoring at either track over the two legs.

10 minutes ago, GS550 said:

Sorry I might be being a bit thick but I still don't really get the point your trying to make or question your asking on what the outcome would've been if it had been raced on a different track. 

I'd say the issue with armadale is same as with Newcastle and will probably come to Plymouth as well, in that the modern engined aren't made for tracks of that size and the racing has suffered. I used to go most weeks in late 90s 00s and racing was decent when had stoney, PC, Micky Powell, Sean Wilson, greavesy etc but got worse and I stopped going as wasn't worth it anymore. 

It's the same as why tracks are now much slicker than they were for the same reason. Speedway's moved on and tracks like armadale and Newcastle have suffered most for it IMO

4 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Blantyre 1

Blantyre 2

Junior football result?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, spt82 said:

Sorry I might be being a bit thick but I still don't really get the point your trying to make or question your asking on what the outcome would've been if it had been raced on a different track. 

Then fine it would appear that speculation, open discussion, etc, and for that matter discussion forums aren't for you.

3 minutes ago, GS550 said:

Then fine it would appear that speculation, open discussion, etc, and for that matter discussion forums aren't for you.

But it's a pointless discussion, why would that match have taken place anywhere other than Armadale. 

And I did state that of course the outcome would've been different on another track, maybe we could've had it at Redcar and won by even more, Kemp flys round there!

1 minute ago, spt82 said:

But it's a pointless discussion, why would that match have taken place anywhere other than Armadale. 

And I did state that of course the outcome would've been different on another track

Not pointless at all.  It's got you talking..  In the interests of the sport, maybe it is time to ban postage stamp tracks.  Maybe not.  An open question.

As someone else mentioned, engines these days are such that they suit big racetracks and that, paraphrasing, the deficiencies of certain tracks don't enable current day speedway racing (was the gist of what they said anyway).