British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I don't believe that Jake didn't get offered opportunities at NL and CL level but clearly terms couldn't be agreed. Now looks out in the cold after a very brief burst of flame.

I'm sure in the unfortunate but likely chances of injuries occurring in the NL, he'll be snapped up. Real shame because he looked to have loads of potential, was he asking too much?

Edited by Diamonds85

3 hours ago, gmuncie said:

There’s absolutely zero need for the rising star rule in the championship young riders if good enough get their chance anyway.

A quick look through the lineups would confirm that can’t really think of a single young British rider who is realistically championship standard and wanted a ride that doesn’t have one 

Put simply, the 2nd Div is too strong..

There is every need for that league to be the stepping stone to the top level in this country, and giving those NL heat leaders a chance at reserve..

Unfortunately the 2nd tier rules the roost and gets the best of both worlds, ie Div One heat leaders and experienced reserves...

Without the cost of paying out for the riders the level of Doyle, Fricke etc..

• Like 4

13 hours ago, gmuncie said:

There’s absolutely zero need for the rising star rule in the championship young riders if good enough get their chance anyway.

A quick look through the lineups would confirm that can’t really think of a single young British rider who is realistically championship standard and wanted a ride that doesn’t have one 

You could also add that there are zero new British riders into the CL this year. Potentially Ablitt but he had been signed to Eastbourne before it went belly up. 

The plan was a long term conveyor belt offering chances to graduating riders instead its back to the usual with overseas untried imports and no vision of a long term plan.

• Like 3

I forsee Iversen, Bjerre and Kildemand riding for both Belle Vue and Kings Lynn at various times, on one-month contracts.

20 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I forsee Iversen, Bjerre and Kildemand riding for both Belle Vue and Kings Lynn at various times, on one-month contracts.

That would mean speedway has morphed from a sport into a comedy show….. mind you I think it did that doubling on leagues and deciding the premier champion may not be the team that topped the league final standings.

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

You could also add that there are zero new British riders into the CL this year. Potentially Ablitt but he had been signed to Eastbourne before it went belly up. 

The plan was a long term conveyor belt offering chances to graduating riders instead its back to the usual with overseas untried imports and no vision of a long term plan.

And rode for the Eagles, I believe, after they dropped Edwards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The leagues are a balance of need over expenditure. Doubling up gives the promoters a way of paying riders less and also having enough riders to go round.

Unless they can get away from this cycle then the 2 leagues will remain almost the same with the addition of a ‘star’ introduction.

Mind it was like that 50 years ago in the top league as I recall!

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

That would mean speedway has morphed from a sport into a comedy show….. mind you I think it did that doubling on leagues and deciding the premier champion may not be the team that topped the league final standings.

Musical chairs!

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

4 out of the 77 riders in the Championship this year are new foreign imports hardly a worrying number I’d say. 

14 hours ago, mikebv said:

Put simply, the 2nd Div is too strong..

There is every need for that league to be the stepping stone to the top level in this country, and giving those NL heat leaders a chance at reserve..

Unfortunately the 2nd tier rules the roost and gets the best of both worlds, ie Div One heat leaders and experienced reserves...

Without the cost of paying out for the riders the level of Doyle, Fricke etc..

I would counter argue that the problem is that the top league is to weak rather than the championship to strong.

There is a reason that many teams that could move up don’t or that those that move down stick around. The Championship imo is the best product in the UK each team has a mix of experience and youth. Geographically it’s mixed, race nights it’s mixed and the majority of innovation seems to come at championship level also.

as for a ‘stepping stone’ if you include the no8’s then out of the 47 named riders so far in the Premiership 43 rode in the Championship before moving up / doubling up including Doyle, Fricke so I’d say the Championship does a pretty good job of finding and developing talent.

7 minutes ago, gmuncie said:

4 out of the 77 riders in the Championship this year are new foreign imports hardly a worrying number I’d say. 

I would counter argue that the problem is that the top league is to weak rather than the championship to strong.

There is a reason that many teams that could move up don’t or that those that move down stick around. The Championship imo is the best product in the UK each team has a mix of experience and youth. Geographically it’s mixed, race nights it’s mixed and the majority of innovation seems to come at championship level also.

as for a ‘stepping stone’ if you include the no8’s then out of the 47 named riders so far in the Premiership 43 rode in the Championship before moving up / doubling up including Doyle, Fricke so I’d say the Championship does a pretty good job of finding and developing talent.

Imports will always happen but the worrying figure is no new Brits into the CL this year.

How could the PL get any stronger? It is a financial struggle as it is. Unless Sweden goes pop and riders want to return the level will maintain but at least the calibre of riders is closer. 

The spread of rider levels in the CL from top to bottom has been vast for the past few seasons. Its only closed up a bit this year as the lack of heat leaders available means that the reserves signed by most teams are 4ish pointers rather than 2.00 making it more of a closed shop and harder to break in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gmuncie said:

that is quite correct but there isn't the cash to strengthen it. No cash needed to reign in the strength of the second division with the bonus of NL prospects getting a chance. Also IOW and Mildy might be tempted to rejoin a cheaper division. The knock on should be 2 more members of the top div to 8 so more rides in the division and a severe curb on DU/DD and eventual ridding of it.

• Like 2

The whole premise of the RS scheme was to have a steady flow of GB riders so reliance on overseas imports isnt required..

And this would also invariably improve the chances of long term GB success as no longer would we be training up riders from other countries, but instead providing track time to GB lads...

Without the stepping stones to the top however it simply wont work..

And the middle tier of Speedway in the UK should play the absolute pivotal role within the overall system..

That is. Taking on those from the NDL ready to have a go at the next level, and also preparing riders to organically move up to the league above, as they out grow the level they are at...

In any 3 tier system ran by any business or entity, which promotes development,  the middle tier is vital, both to provide opportunities for those who excel at the lower level,  and also provide opportunities for those who get out of their depth and need to drop back from the higher tier to regain confidence..

UK Speedway though has a better idea now after just one year.....:rolleyes:

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

When will the last rider be announced. Monday?

First person to enter stsdoum gets the place 

Edited by PhilTheAce
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The whole premise of the RS scheme was to have a steady flow of GB riders so reliance on overseas imports isnt required..

And this would also invariably improve the chances of long term GB success as no longer would we be training up riders from other countries, but instead providing track time to GB lads...

Without the stepping stones to the top however it simply wont work..

And the middle tier of Speedway in the UK should play the absolute pivotal role within the overall system..

That is. Taking on those from the NDL ready to have a go at the next level, and also preparing riders to organically move up to the league above, as they out grow the level they are at...

In any 3 tier system ran by any business or entity, which promotes development,  the middle tier is vital, both to provide opportunities for those who excel at the lower level,  and also provide opportunities for those who get out of their depth and need to drop back from the higher tier to regain confidence..

UK Speedway though has a better idea now after just one year.....:rolleyes:

If you are good enough you will organically get your shot at championship level though as proven by the fact that people have been able to come up with 1 name only for a young British rider who potentially should be in the championship.

Getting young British riders into the championship has and never will be an issue, getting them into the Prem and abroad is where the problem has been in the past and hopefully with rising star still in the prem, no8’s and the premiership junior league as well as the work being done by team GB on the international front then these pathways should be opening.

it is not the clubs at championship level to care about teams in the premiership or team gb individually that is the job for the bspl / team gb set up so why should their clubs be damaged by having to water down the league by putting in guys that aren’t ready / not good enough just to fill a quota as happened in places last year.

• Haha 1