British Speedway Forum
FishersGate

Leicester Lions 2022 Line up

I think the best thing Joe can do is to change his surname... Like Mikael Karlsson, maybe it would stop all of the inevitable comparisons. People don't seem to be able to talk about Dan without mentioning Joe in the same post (I've just done it myself!).

I thought Dan had a solid season, progressing from reserve to become a solid No 2 at home and should only get better in his 2nd season.

Joe, a solid reserve and again should only improve in his 2nd season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

From the outside I think Dan seems like the better of the two? However I have only seen them race once... Who would Lion's fans say is the best rider currently? I know it'll probably be a hard choice to make

Dan is undoubtedly the best rider at the moment, but rider's progress at different rates especially when you throw injuries into the mix. Look at the Worrall's respective careers, when they first started I thought Richie was going to be the good one, but then Steve kicked on to become an almost international class rider, broke his leg, struggled to come back and now I'd say they're pretty level again.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, PirateShip said:

They weaken the Lions being together. When it came to the crunch this season they were not good enough.

At the start Lions shud av kept Mountain and gone with either Dan or Joe but not both.

Hindsight…….what a wonderful gift as they say!

30 minutes ago, Teromaafan said:

Hindsight…….what a wonderful gift as they say!

Not hindsight, was blindingly obvious from the start of the season that Lions were weaker using both Twins. I only show interest in the Twins coz Leicester is my local track & to release Mountain and then also not to use Humey was a big oversight by Dickson.

Anyways, Humey was wisely chosen by us Pirates to help win the double. 

12 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Not hindsight, was blindingly obvious from the start of the season that Lions were weaker using both Twins. I only show interest in the Twins coz Leicester is my local track & to release Mountain and then also not to use Humey was a big oversight by Dickson.

Anyways, Humey was wisely chosen by us Pirates to help win the double. 

Blindingly obvious my a*se! When a team is assembled at the start of a season, it is with a view that riders will either up their existing average or at least maintain the one that they are on. If Bates and Proctor had delivered on the latter (as we know this went t*ts up), both twins would have remained at reserve. The twins had never raced at this level previously but finished with a combined average uplift of almost 4 points.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Teromaafan said:

Blindingly obvious my a*se! When a team is assembled at the start of a season, it is with a view that riders will either up their existing average or at least maintain the one that they are on. If Bates and Proctor had delivered on the latter (as we know this went t*ts up), both twins would have remained at reserve. The twins had never raced at this level previously but finished with a combined average uplift of almost 4 points.

So ur telling me that the Twins would score well enough away from home? Blindingly obvious they wouldn't regardless of their position in the team.

That's why Hume or Mountain shud've been retained to partner either Twin at reserve.

For their first season I thought both did very well. It’s no big deal if one rode a little better than the other. It’s too early in their careers to know who will come out better. They will have their whole careers trying to get one up on each other, like the Worralls. 

• Like 2

Don't really understand the logic behind the 1-7 being built by Leicester in all honesty.

Reading the press release with Dickson noting that Dan struggled in the 1-5 last season yet the club signs him to ride in the 1-5 again next season is baffling to me.

Should've built a team that had Dan riding at 6 rather than 2 imo. Extra pressure on Connor Mountain to do a job at No.4 and the HL trio have to fire on all cylinders week in week out.

29 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

So ur telling me that the Twins would score well enough away from home? Blindingly obvious they wouldn't regardless of their position in the team.

That's why Hume or Mountain shud've been retained to partner either Twin at reserve.

Your argument needs to be based on what was known at the start of the season rather than reflect on what should have happened, we can all do that, it’s not that clever. Average returns from Bates & Proctor should have put no pressure for Dan & Joe to deliver away. The twins came in on low assessed averages, just keeping the team total under the limit. Their combined average uplift is higher than that achieved by Hume & Mountain since the start of the season. A team is built around 7 riders, rarely starting from reserves upwards. With your vision you may want to spend your time managing a speedway team rather than keep posting here!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KingoftheTrack said:

Don't really understand the logic behind the 1-7 being built by Leicester in all honesty.

Reading the press release with Dickson noting that Dan struggled in the 1-5 last season yet the club signs him to ride in the 1-5 again next season is baffling to me.

Should've built a team that had Dan riding at 6 rather than 2 imo. Extra pressure on Connor Mountain to do a job at No.4 and the HL trio have to fire on all cylinders week in week out.

Totally get your point but that would require a second string averaging over 5, which then compromises the third heat leader strength. Decisions, decisions!

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

Personally think Leicester to be applauded for sticking with twins this season, particularly Dan. Seen it so often young rider gets to the "difficult average" and gets dumped back to NL or go backwards for having to find a place in a weaker side. Playing the long game that may not have a challenging side next season (IMO), but for following years the may be able to consistently if twins progress

True.

13 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Your argument needs to be based on what was known at the start of the season rather than reflect on what should have happened, we can all do that, it’s not that clever. Average returns from Bates & Proctor should have put no pressure for Dan & Joe to deliver away. The twins came in on low assessed averages, just keeping the team total under the limit. Their combined average uplift is higher than that achieved by Hume & Mountain since the start of the season. A team is built around 7 riders, rarely starting from reserves upwards. With your vision you may want to spend your time managing a speedway team rather than keep posting here!

Poole win things because their management av a vision on how the team is going to perform.

When things don't go to plan i.e Keleher they then make a sound change rather than persisting.

Not only me saying this about avin both the Twins, got mates who are Lions fans who also cudn't understand.

Both Twins av improved and will again, all I keep saying is that avin them in the same team is a detriment to the balance of it.

All I can say is I hope the Twins prove me wrong next season because they are very talented and I want me Lions mates to win but not as much as Poole!  :t: