British Speedway Forum
M.D

Eastbourne Speedway

9 hours ago, SuperSpeed said:

Whilst all the above are true, people turn up in their droves to watch stock cars at the same stadium -  and the stocks charge for parking! 

Tells you something, does it not.

23 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Tells you something, does it not.

For me it says that the location of Arlington is not, in itself, an impediment to attracting decent crowds.

Others on this thread have said that the stocks are attracting lower crowds this year; I have no reason to doubt this as I don't attend the stocks regularly enough to argue one way or the other.  I would say, though, that the Bears Bash at Arlington last month saw a crowd that the Eagles could only dream of in recent years.

So we come back round to asking why people weren't turning up to speedway in sufficient numbers (ignoring the mismanagement by Ian Jordan) to make the operation viable. 

I'm sure all of us have our theories as to why this is and plans on how to reverse the decline, and I'm sure that most of these theories and plans are broadly in agreement.  I don't think they bear repeating here again for the nth time, I'm just sad that the prospect of seeing bikes at Arlington again has receded.

Special meetings like the Bears Bash have always got a much bigger crowd than a normal meeting for the cars so the special meetings should not be used as an indication of how good crowds for the cars are. I understand that regular meeting have had lower crowds than they got in the past. Exactly how much lower I don't know and it would have to be a regular who had been a regular for a long time who could possibly give that sort of information.

Sad to think in the period 2020-2023 that there will have been only around ten matches at Arlington. Ten matches in four seasons… unless the consortium can pull off a miracle and do some open meetings in the coming summer. Forum for fans this Sunday but mood music on Facebook is not good, although a hard core of fans remains enthusiastic. You have to wonder whether Eastbourne should rebrand as Crawley and find a new site near Gatwick. Huge population in 45 mins drive. South of England show ground at Ardingly?

On 1/25/2023 at 7:30 PM, FromBendThree said:

Sad to think in the period 2020-2023 that there will have been only around ten matches at Arlington. Ten matches in four seasons… unless the consortium can pull off a miracle and do some open meetings in the coming summer. Forum for fans this Sunday but mood music on Facebook is not good, although a hard core of fans remains enthusiastic. You have to wonder whether Eastbourne should rebrand as Crawley and find a new site near Gatwick. Huge population in 45 mins drive. South of England show ground at Ardingly?

I was away for the fans forum so did not make it in person, did you go yourself?

On 1/31/2023 at 6:10 PM, M.D said:

I was away for the fans forum so did not make it in person, did you go yourself?

No. Too long a haul for me. Would go often to watch racing but not worth it for a forum, although I can see why people nearer at hand would go and enjoy, which from what I have read onFB they did.

I really, really miss my Saturday nights at Arlington, but unfortunately I fear that speedway is not going to re-appear in the southeast of England. Look at a map of where speedway clubs are located and there is really only Poole in the south.

I live in the Crawley area , Poole is too far for a regular fix of speedway adrenaline. Where else is there to go? In the past I would travel to Reading, Swindon, Rye House, Lakeside, Sittingbourne (Kent). With the demise of these clubs, the fact that attendances did not increase at their 'rivals' shows either a tribal mentality where supporters cannot switch allegiance to keep the sport alive, or they just can't be bothered at all. 

My motto has always been "any speedway is better than no speedway", hence my support in the National League days, but I understand that level has been diluted now.

I rarely look at the speedway press / website now, and too be honest some of the televised racing last year was dire, anything from the NSS being the stand out exception.

I shan't be travelling to Cardiff, the experience I've done many times and enjoy but the racing was dire last year.

I try not to be a 'doom' merchant but it's difficult to see an upside at the moment, but if there can be a speedway meeting at Arlington, whatever level, I'll be there.

1 hour ago, woofers said:

I really, really miss my Saturday nights at Arlington, but unfortunately I fear that speedway is not going to re-appear in the southeast of England. Look at a map of where speedway clubs are located and there is really only Poole in the south.

I live in the Crawley area , Poole is too far for a regular fix of speedway adrenaline. Where else is there to go? In the past I would travel to Reading, Swindon, Rye House, Lakeside, Sittingbourne (Kent). With the demise of these clubs, the fact that attendances did not increase at their 'rivals' shows either a tribal mentality where supporters cannot switch allegiance to keep the sport alive, or they just can't be bothered at all. 

My motto has always been "any speedway is better than no speedway", hence my support in the National League days, but I understand that level has been diluted now.

I rarely look at the speedway press / website now, and too be honest some of the televised racing last year was dire, anything from the NSS being the stand out exception.

I shan't be travelling to Cardiff, the experience I've done many times and enjoy but the racing was dire last year.

I try not to be a 'doom' merchant but it's difficult to see an upside at the moment, but if there can be a speedway meeting at Arlington, whatever level, I'll be there.

Isn't Oxford within reasonable reach for you?

3 hours ago, woofers said:

I would wait for the statement from the consortium, I will put up a link when its online..

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, M.D said:

I would wait for the statement from the consortium, I will put up a link when its online..

Fingers crossed it's a positive one. I know the owners don't really want NL but unless there's something dramatically different from last year with sponsorship etc not sure where we can go. Unless even this summer on a few Sunday afternoons we could go down the IOW ( Nora) route and at least keep the track alive other than stock cars. I'd go just for the noise/smell and introduce a couple of young grandchildren who haven't been to a speedway meeting, a bit more variety might hold their attention for more than 5 mins aswell. 

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, woofers said:

Theres still speedway in Kent its just hosted at Iwade now instead of Central Park. NL bar has been raised this year and Sunday lunchtimes may appeal to some travellers as you can still be home at a reasonable hour.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, M.D said:

Fingers crossed again! Who's the experienced co-promotor I wonder? On a side note, Jake Knight was one of the best/exciting riders we had in our NL glory days, rode the boards at Arlington unlike any other NL rider, always thought he was so close to making the next step.

Edited by gazzac