British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Neil Cameron

32 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Well based on the sheer lack of replies it appears that Neil Cameron could well be described as a forgotten man of speedway!

Nope, he's not forgotten, John. Nor are Peter Tarrant, Kerry Gray, or Glen Baxter...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Nope, he's not forgotten, John. Nor are Peter Tarrant, Kerry Gray, or Glen Baxter...

Who ?

Going back to Neil Cameron, I was too young to remember him myself, but from reading Wimbledon programmes of that era, it seems he broke the tapes a hell of a lot!

Seems like a pretty basic mistake to keep making and it must have driven Maido spare.

It is quite interesting that while Neil might have become the forgotten man of speedway, old John seems to remember him, and even more surprising is his grandson also has some knowledge of him, as i thought he also shared his grandfathers lack of interest in speedway or the modern, or in his case any era

Edited by iris123

7 hours ago, prodons said:

Going back to Neil Cameron, I was too young to remember him myself, but from reading Wimbledon programmes of that era, it seems he broke the tapes a hell of a lot!

Seems like a pretty basic mistake to keep making and it must have driven Maido spare.

He actually won a fair percentage of his races - when he didn't fall or break the tapes... You never knew what to expect from him!

12 hours ago, prodons said:

Never a dull moment with Neil around. Who can forget him riding up the front of Barry Crowson, or the time he parked his bike across the start line. A better rider with more potential than his scores would indicate

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

A better rider with more potential than his scores would indicate

Agree 100%. His average from his completed rides would be a lot higher!

Think he notched up 13 points in a World Championship Round at Plough Lane once!

Totally backs up what you’re both saying.

Just reading the book on Tommy Jansson and Neil Cameron told the story that when he returned to Britain prior to the start of the 1973 season found his car (which he had garaged in Wolverhampton?) totally wrecked by Liverpool fans who had been on the rampage after their team had lost to Wolves!

Edited by steve roberts