British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

14 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

They actually haven't changed any rule about nomad clubs.

It's always been the case that someone trying to bring back a defunct club can run in the junior leagues as a nomad club, and it still is.  

However in the past the SCB didn't really make any enquiries as to what attempts are being made to bring a club back.  So if you just said "I'm trying to bring back Harringay", they'd probably let you run a junior league team.  In the last few years they've tightened up the checks.  So now if you say I'm trying to bring back Harringay and want to run a team in the Southern Development league, the SCB would be asking where the land in Harringay for this new track is.  If you've got a genuine plan to have a new track in place in the next year or two, they'll let you run a nomad team in the meantime. 

Their reasoning is that they are getting rid of people on "an ego trip" who want to just "play at managing a speedway team", but have no real ambition to actually bring that club back.

Crikey, "getting rid of people on an ego trip" in speedway??  Where should one begin.............?!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, AndyPresley said:

You're right, it is one of the cheapest forms of motorsport and I don't doubt that. Certainly not cheap and accessible to the average family or teenager though.. nor is any motorsport, so entry into the sport is always going to be be restrictive in comparison to ball or racket sports for example.

So your initial post was just to agree with someone who you knew was wrong ?

What is your point ? If you or your family are skint then you aren’t likely to try to get into any motorsport and yes, a ball game is a lot cheaper so no comparison to speedway whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

So your initial post was just to agree with someone who you knew was wrong ?

What is your point ? If you or your family are skint then you aren’t likely to try to get into any motorsport and yes, a ball game is a lot cheaper so no comparison to speedway whatsoever.

My point is that a conveyer belt of new talent isn't going to be available to Speedway because it isn't accessible to most people, which is what I think Give Me a B was saying. Nothing wrong with his post. Unless there are schemes to make it easier for those people who are not fortunate to have parents pay for everything, the emergence of new talent capable of becoming stars will always be rare. I believe Poland for example have much more support in place for 'newbies' and a bigger fanbase (therefore more interest from them), so they do have plenty of new talent coming through. But then again they have the money to do that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyPresley said:

My point is that a conveyer belt of new talent isn't going to be available to Speedway because it isn't accessible to most people, which is what I think Give Me a B was saying. Nothing wrong with his post. Unless there are schemes to make it easier for those people who are not fortunate to have parents pay for everything, the emergence of new talent capable of becoming stars will always be rare. I believe Poland for example have much more support in place for 'newbies' and a bigger fanbase (therefore more interest from them), so they do have plenty of new talent coming through. But then again they have the money to do that.

An inaccurate post is an inaccurate post. Speedway is cheap compared to any other form of motorsport.

As for schemes to make it easier to get into the sport , that has always been the case in British speedway, no one has ever said “ here’s a fee bike and kit , see how you go “ and it’s no different in Poland, no one gives you free gear there either ! Yes, they do give ‘support’  to youngsters but only those that show promise not to joe public walking off the street saying “ his a go mister “.

8 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

An inaccurate post is an inaccurate post. Speedway is cheap compared to any other form of motorsport.

As for schemes to make it easier to get into the sport , that has always been the case in British speedway, no one has ever said “ here’s a fee bike and kit , see how you go “ and it’s no different in Poland, no one gives you free gear there either ! Yes, they do give ‘support’  to youngsters but only those that show promise not to joe public walking off the street saying “ his a go mister “.

OK :t:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

It's always been the case that someone trying to bring back a defunct club can run in the junior leagues as a nomad club, and it still is.  

However in the past the SCB didn't really make any enquiries as to what attempts are being made to bring a club back.  So if you just said "I'm trying to bring back Harringay", they'd probably let you run a junior league team.  In the last few years they've tightened up the checks.  So now if you say I'm trying to bring back Harringay and want to run a team in the Southern Development league, the SCB would be asking where the land in Harringay for this new track is.  If you've got a genuine plan to have a new track in place in the next year or two, they'll let you run a nomad team in the meantime. 

Their reasoning is that they are getting rid of people on "an ego trip" who want to just "play at managing a speedway team", but have no real ambition to actually bring that club back.

It seems to me people just want to sidestep the ACU/SCB and BSP Ltd, now things are possibly far from perfect but they are the governing bodies and do run the sport in the U.K.

Licensing of tracks and riders are a significant outlay as is insurance which I would doubt is easy to arrange if not run under the proper guidelines.

Real talent on a bike is rare....not sure why 'we' (UK) don't have much coming through....having all the money in the world wont make a good rider great....

Not many Michael Lee's, Bruce Penhall's, Darcy Ward's, about these days.....REAL TALENT !

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

they are getting rid of people on "an ego trip" who want to just "play at managing a speedway team",

I wonder if Nigel Pearson will be reading this... :rofl:

• Haha 4

Whens the next signing being announced. 3/4 weeks when Rogers said some riders were looking at fixture schedules. 

11 hours ago, Jimsboy said:

Whens the next signing being announced. 3/4 weeks when Rogers said some riders were looking at fixture schedules. 

You seem more bothered than us B'ham supporters :D

22 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

In my experience, all of the Development League teams were run by 'people on an ego trip', which is extremely unfair on those who were doing it for the love of the sport.

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

In my experience, all of the Development League teams were run by 'people on an ego trip', which is extremely unfair on those who were doing it for the love of the sport.

You do not seem to have understood his not very well phrased point.
Yes, the teams will have been run by very enthusiastic individuals but out of those ‘ ghost teams ‘ how many were actually trying to find land and build a stadium to bring that team back into existence ?

Answer : Probably almost Nil.

Both Halifax and Castleford , who appeared in the NJL, had advanced plans in place and Halifax even had land secured before the schemes collapsed and both teams ceased to exist as an entity in the league.

Edited by Fortythirtyeight

23 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Playing at managing a speedway team, on an ego trip!

Have you ever actually looked at attempts to bring back some of these teams.......Dont think so!!!!!! Otherwise a more balanced statement would be made.

It infuriates me at such a generalised statement with no factual evidence.

As for my efforts to re introduce speedway at Halifax, it is well documented.

The ill health I suffered as a consequence, put paid to it and not to mention the personal financial costs.

Would I do it again, YES.

Why might be asked, but look through Premiership Teams, Championship Teams and National League Teams and you will find many who have progressed through opportunities with

Halifax Dukes in the Northern Junior League.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

You do not seem to have understood his not very well phrased point.
Yes, the teams will have been run by very enthusiastic individuals but out of those ‘ ghost teams ‘ how many were actually trying to find land and build a stadium to bring that team back into existence ?

Answer : Probably almost Nil.

Both Halifax and Castleford , who appeared in the NJL, had advanced plans in place and Halifax even had land secured before the schemes collapsed and both teams ceased to exist as an entity in the league.

totally wrong on NIL . All those who were the nomadic clubs were actively seeking sites and some came near and this was monitored. The pandemic has made this difficult but there are active searches progressing.

24 minutes ago, Speedway fan said:

totally wrong on NIL . All those who were the nomadic clubs were actively seeking sites and some came near and this was monitored. The pandemic has made this difficult but there are active searches progressing.

24 minutes ago, Speedway fan said:

‘ searches ‘ are not considered acceptable advanced business plans by the powers that be. Good luck to you and I hope every ‘ ghost club ‘ comes back into being but until you have land that has been approved for use, then it’s just speculating as far the rules go.

Anyway….back to Birmingham issues.

Edited by Fortythirtyeight