British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Doesn’t matter what your rental costs, it’s called ‘operating within your budget ‘. Redcar were down to crowds of around 300 at that time so Havelock did well to keep them going. Can you see Brum operating on a similar basis ? They are already claiming they need a 1,000 through the gate and haven’t managed that in the past.

Did Redcar have "Div One Heat Leaders" to pay out of that 300 attendance though? 

Nowadays it seems every Div 2 team has to have at least one Div 1 top ten rider which can only increase the costs I would think..

Reserves in Div 2 are also no longer "juniors" but more experienced riders (and more expensive too maybe?)..

Putting together a Div 2 team to compete nowadays is very much advantageous to those with deeper pockets I would say, hence Glasgow do well, Poole do well as still very much a "Speedway town", and ex top league Leicester, riding back on Saturdays, also seem to put a decent team together..

Redcar have had some innovative promoters post Brian Havelock, which I would suggest has definitely helped them to grow their fan base (and maybe picked up a few disgruntled Newcastle fans?), and are now a definite "Top Five" expectation team in Div 2, given the level of rider they can afford to bring in..

They certainly have gone from being "avoiding the wooden spoon is success" material to one of the more watchable teams in the league..

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Did Redcar have "Div One Heat Leaders" to pay out of that 300 attendance though? 

Nowadays it seems every Div 2 team has to have at least one Div 1 top ten rider which can only increase the costs I would think..

Reserves in Div 2 are also no longer "juniors" but more experienced riders (and more expensive too maybe?)..

Putting together a Div 2 team to compete nowadays is very much advantageous to those with deeper pockets I would say, hence Glasgow do well, Poole do well as still very much a "Speedway town", and ex top league Leicester, riding back on Saturdays, also seem to put a decent team together..

Redcar have had some innovative promoters post Brian Havelock, which I would suggest has definitely helped them to grow their fan base (and maybe picked up a few disgruntled Newcastle fans?), and are now a definite "Top Five" expectation team in Div 2, given the level of rider they can afford to bring in..

They certainly have gone from being "avoiding the wooden spoon is success" material to one of the more watchable teams in the league..

That’s my point ! They had poor teams but stuck to their business plan and survived and new people came in and lifted the place by providing a better team and more entertainment. Have Birmingham seriously looked at the crowd level and budgeted accordingly? Newcastle certainly seemed to have .  Both are now facing big rent increases and have weak sides but Brum are hoping for big crowds and that is just not going to happen. If Brum now sign a big earner, or two, how is that going to end ? If they don’t have the funds to sign a big hitting number 1, they should say so and then ask the public to rally round and help them survive at a financially manageable level on the crowds they can attract.

Live within your means.This year is going to be tough for everyone as nothing is getting cheaper.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Darts premier league is so much more entertaining than speedway and its nice and warm and the drinks are cheaper :D

If somebody breaks a dart, can he use someone else's dart as a "guest"? Or can he use Dart Replacement?

30 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

If somebody breaks a dart, can he use someone else's dart as a "guest"? Or can he use Dart Replacement?

Suppose it depends on the darts EMA, some are better than others?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Doesn’t matter what your rental costs, it’s called ‘operating within your budget ‘. Redcar were down to crowds of around 300 at that time so Havelock did well to keep them going. Can you see Brum operating on a similar basis ? They are already claiming they need a 1,000 through the gate and haven’t managed that in the past.

Great News.

All the buzz on the Brummies social media this weekend is all about Josh Auty. He's in the BEN Fund meeting and he's having a testimonial. 

Surprised me in a way. 12 months ago, the Brummies socials were one long James-Shanes-a-thon. It's been a while since Shane's has featured. Was thinking it was going to be his turn this week.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2022 at 4:19 PM, Marshall07 said:

He finished his polish commitments before joining Scunthorpe

I am sure he still had a few meetings in Poland (August time?) even after he signed for us.

15 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Great News.

All the buzz on the Brummies social media this weekend is all about Josh Auty. He's in the BEN Fund meeting and he's having a testimonial. 

Surprised me in a way. 12 months ago, the Brummies socials were one long James-Shanes-a-thon. It's been a while since Shane's has featured. Was thinking it was going to be his turn this week.

No news on LR 5/6 riders he was waiting on there paper. 

I don’t think there was any contribution from Birmingham in this weeks speedway star.  
Now every other team in the championship has finalised their teams there is no competition for riders.  It’s Birmingham or nothing 

it’s looking likely that josh Auty will be at number one. Gappmaier may be a possibility and after that I’m struggling to see who could possibly be a potential signing   Maybe Justin sedgeman or brayden mcguiness 

Adam Ellis

Thomas Jorgensen

Danny Gaapmaier/ Josh Bates

I believe that would fit what's left. There's always options out there. As with Ellis, I can't see Jorgensen signed to any team in Denmark. Obviously depends on what cash is available. It was implied the owners would be prepared to put in extra this year, but it would need to be self-financing going forward.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I don’t think there was any contribution from Birmingham in this weeks speedway star.

It's not the Brummies' job to "feed" the Speedway Star. It's their job to find the stories. They're supposed to be journalists, not the teams' print media publicists.

36 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

It's not the Brummies' job to "feed" the Speedway Star. It's their job to find the stories. They're supposed to be journalists, not the teams' print media publicists.

But that’s not how it works. The Star prints the teams’ press releases then has further contributions from the likes of Peter Oakes, Phil Lanning and some others. If Birmingham don’t “feed” the Star, then the Star won’t do their work for them. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Don’t think journalists from anywhere are interested in Speedway.It’s the Clubs Press that supplies the stories to the Speedway Star.

8 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Now every other team in the championship has finalised their teams there is no competition for riders.  It’s Birmingham or nothing 

it’s looking likely that josh Auty will be at number one. Gappmaier may be a possibility and after that I’m struggling to see who could possibly be a potential signing   Maybe Justin sedgeman or brayden mcguiness 

Nothing to report 

• Like 1