British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beowulf

Wolves v Brummies (Past & Present) 28th March 2022

On 3/29/2022 at 10:43 AM, scoobydoo said:

Its also ridiculous the speed he can generate to come from nowhere during many races 

Yeah I totally get that, he's been and still is a great servant to British speedway and when he's on it is definitely one of the most entertaining riders in this country. Now this is going back to his gp days it's just frustrating when he's being interviewed on tv and still says he's searching for the right set up etc if he hasn't learnt it in 20+ years hes's never going too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bloom89 said:

still says he's searching for the right set up etc if he hasn't learnt it in 20+ years hes's never going to

Doesn't anyone do what Ivan Mauger used to do, to keep a book and write down for each track what his best bike settings were, what gear ratios, carburation settings, timings were etc? So that when he re-visited a track he'd be as good in his first race as he was after his last race last time.  Obviously, he'd adjust a bit for conditions on the day, but at least he had a good basis to start with.  I mean, don't people do that these days? Or is it all "rule of thumb", and "well, let's see if this works"?

And as for Harris's quoted reasons..."fuel problems" can someone please explain to the lay person, what problems are incurred in a fuel system where only methanol is permitted? It's not like the mix between methanol and additives was wrong, is it? You don't get a build-up of limescale in the pipes, do you? Was it rust or dirt in the system? In which case why? Aren't things kept clean?

I can remember Lewis Kerr having huge fuel problems in a televised meeting at P'boro riding for Newcastle a few yars ago, don't think he managed a lap in any of his races and he got quite a bit of grief from Pearson, Tatum and Louis. Think it turned out to be a little bit of dirt in the fuel system which could only be found after the meeting having stripped the bike down.

I agree Bomber has more than his fair share of bike issues but sometimes it just happens.

13 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I agree Bomber has more than his fair share of bike issues but sometimes it just happens.

It's funny how "it just happens" to the same riders all the time though isn't it... Dave Jessup and Richard Hellsen are 2 others that spring to mind, so unlucky :lol:

15 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Doesn't anyone do what Ivan Mauger used to do, to keep a book and write down for each track what his best bike settings were, what gear ratios, carburation settings, timings were etc? So that when he re-visited a track he'd be as good in his first race as he was after his last race last time.  Obviously, he'd adjust a bit for conditions on the day, but at least he had a good basis to start with.  I mean, don't people do that these days? Or is it all "rule of thumb", and "well, let's see if this works"?

And as for Harris's quoted reasons..."fuel problems" can someone please explain to the lay person, what problems are incurred in a fuel system where only methanol is permitted? It's not like the mix between methanol and additives was wrong, is it? You don't get a build-up of limescale in the pipes, do you? Was it rust or dirt in the system? In which case why? Aren't things kept clean?

I've seen quite a few although I think it's a little more 'techy' now. There was a picture of Lambert and his mechanics with a good old notepad in the pits on some social media pics this year. 

Nicki P looks to have been using telemetry software in preseason to show lines, reaction times and where he's picked up the most speed. 

24 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's funny how "it just happens" to the same riders all the time though isn't it... Dave Jessup and Richard Hellsen are 2 others that spring to mind, so unlucky :lol:

I raise you Justin Elkins.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Quite simply Harris let down CVS who gave him the booking and both sets of fans. Unacceptable really.

On 3/30/2022 at 5:17 PM, uk_martin said:

I think part of the problem nowadays is that riders get too hung up on having the best equipment and so much of said equipment, and they have 2/3 maybe even 4 bikes and they aren't sure which one is the best. I'm sure I recall when Christian Henry rode for Newcastle he only had one bike and basically had to make it work and score points.