British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Malcolm Ballard

Does anyone know of the wearabouts of Malcolm Ballard and whether he takes a keen interest in speedway?

Remember "Mad" Malc when he was an overnight sensation and there were high hopes he would continue his rise when he joined the "Rebels" but after a transfer to Poole and ultimately Leicester he disappeared from the scene citing, if I recall, mechanical hardships getting him down? I remember reading he helped Lewis Bridger (another unpredictable rider) for a while.

Any memories would be greatly appreciated and would have made a great interview in an edition of "Backtrack".

Ehere and when did Malcolm start his career, how old would he be now

Where and when. Sorry

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

Ehere and when did Malcolm start his career, how old would he be now

He hit the ground running in 1971 but his scrambling experience would have helped him I'm sure!

Not the best of friends with Dave Kennett!

Edited by steve roberts

...or, indeed, his brother Timmy who I remember taking part in the second halves at Cowley?

Must admit, I think I only saw him once; at the Division Two Riders Championship at Wimbledon in 1972. He was pretty impressive that night...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Must admit, I think I only saw him once; at the Division Two Riders Championship at Wimbledon in 1972. He was pretty impressive that night...

Being an Oxford fan I saw lots of "Mad" Malc during second halves (a sad loss in my view) due to the promotional tie up with Eastbourne and his eventual appearance in the team going full time in 1973. Controversy was never that far where Malc was concerned and the stand out meeting was down at Arlington in 1974 (after he had left the "Rebels") during a 4TT when he was involved in some ugly scenes with riders representing the "Hawks"...great entertainment however and brought the meeting to life!

Of course Bwitcher (whatever happened to him?) could have used Malcolm as an example to back his wild claim that "numerous" riders back in the seventies rode for teams after only a few weeks/months after first sitting astride a speedway bike (or indeed any bike was I recall his claim?). Knowledge would have highlighted however that although there were a few riders who apparently appeared on the scene from nowhere most had competed on the grass or, as in Ballard's case, scrambling so were already very accomplished motorcyclists. Tony Davey is another who springs to mind who was also a scrambler prior to taking up speedway.

Edited by steve roberts