British Speedway Forum
Jonnybegood

Plymouth v Edinburgh 31/05

5 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Masters and Pickering will win races anywhere, if Thomson or Paco have an on night too only takes a few points from elsewhere and they're in with a chance. Be mad to write them off as I've seen one person do already (although pretty sure the rod was out with that one)

I know last season their team was a bit stronger but we went 14 points up half way through, they used a TS about H9 I think, maxed it and then only lost by 6! So I am prepared for it! lol. 

They definitely good at getting a 5-1 in H15 when needed!

Anyway back to Plymouth before I get told off by Plymouth fans for hijacking the thread! lol

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

One minute you talk about clubs 'cutting their cloth accordingly' and then clubs 'taking the risk' and bringing top level riders over?!

Yet if a couple of clubs are financially sound enough to employ  'top' riders but the others in that league aren't then how does that solve any of speedway's problems.

You also compare British Speedway unfavourably with Sweden and Denmark as if they have no problems at all - wrong!!

????

Re "taking risks"..

I was replying to someone who said the top tier should strengthen up rather than the 2nd Div reduce its strength.. 

I was merely pointing out that if they did that (and they would be mad to do so given the small potential impact to their crowds),  that many of the current HL's would be jettisoned and have only Div 2 earnings to fall back on..

I presume Poole and the other Div 2 teams desperate to win, would like to subsidise any riders that happens to by paying them two wages worth of cash? 

No? Thought not...

Therefore the best scenario for Div 2 is to maintain the 'as is'...

Bottom line is the top tier cannot afford the top names and the 2nd tier cannot afford to pay the money on their own that jettisoned Div 1 HL's would need, so what we have is what we will always have, hence enjoy the racing for what it is and dont worry about the results.. 

Because it still can be a great night out when done well..

And as for Sweden and Denmark? 

No idea what trouble (if any) they have...

I was just pointing out that they run a lesser level than Poland but still keep credibility within their leagues.. 

Sweden do though have a large international company sponsoring their league, so it appears they are doing something that at least one big company sees advantageous to them by being associated with the sport.. 

Even though when you watch Swedish Speedway the demographic of the crowd appears to be exactly the same as the UK...

Yet. The UK seem to struggle badly with getting any of their leagues sponsored, and have done so for decades, even with multiple hours of prime time TV coverage...

Makes you wonder how the Swedes can get a sponsor and the UK cannot.. (?).

12 hours ago, SpeedwayPortal said:

Hi guys, just a reminder for those that are unable to make it to the Coliseum tonight, the meeting is being streamed live on Gladiators TV via the link below.  The cost is £11.99 and the broadcast begins at approx. 6:45pm

https://www.gladiatorslive.com

Enjoy!!!

At last, reading about Plymouth Monarchs in a Plymouth Monarchs thread.

9 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Cracking point in the end especially with a few under performers and no offence to young trigger would of liked to of thought there would’ve been a better options for a guest. 

not the greatest meeting to watch don’t think there was a single pass made after the 2nd bend.

Be good if Paco could be more consistent.

1 hour ago, Endeavour said:

Be good if Paco could be more consistent.

You mean consistently better ? he's quite capable of being consistently sh#te at times!

• Haha 1

Last night's heat 15 Masters/ Pickering 5-1 was simply brilliant speedway 2 very good riders team riding & quick. Will be worth a look when it comes on line.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

You mean consistently better ? he's quite capable of being consistently sh#te at times!

Weak link last night.

4 hours ago, Endeavour said:

Weak link last night.

Think he was signed on the half decent meeting he had at Armadale last season.He riding on his fathers coat tails.Very Average.Another rider who can’t turn a corner till the track goes slick as a Motorway.

Edited by Fromafar

Seriously why was that heat 14 shown on the main British website yawn 

Just watched it again…am I missing something anybody 

19 minutes ago, Shrimmy said:

Because clubs supply races from their streams to the website which make them look good, in this case a home 5-1.  

Dont expect to see Heat 15 any time soon!

• Like 1

Erm quite a lot of heats are like that..surely you would want to showcase the entertaining heats or am I still missing something.

13 hours ago, Shrimmy said:

Every race was over after the first bend , it was 15 heats of follow the leader. The meeting was a complete borefest and like the video 

5 hours ago, RebelDan said:

Every race was over after the first bend , it was 15 heats of follow the leader. The meeting was a complete borefest and like the video 

Sadly I have to agree. It's becoming quite a theme at Plymouth. The track is obviously very small so too much grip would potentially be disastrous but for me the best meeting this season was the league match against Poole where there was some genuine grip that allowed some passing.

I've supported Plymouth since their re-birth and found a lot of the early meetings to be dull as dishwater due to the slick track (and comparative strength of the opposition where only Scunny and occasionally Weymouth provided competition) but then things improved and the racing became superb. Sadly for me under the current track prep the track has become very one lined. I don't buy the argument on the weather because all tracks have that challenge in the UK, it comes down to track prep and that's sadly making meetings really quite boring. That said if Plymouth keep winning then I'm sure the fans will come back for more and that's ultimately what it's all about!

• Like 1