British Speedway Forum
Roger Jacobs

Wolverhampton v Ipswich 04 July

1 hour ago, KEITH M said:

Happens in every job .. .. What about the person who goes home ill or rings in sick saying they don’t feel well and returns the next day Speedway riders are no different .. I was there for Tom Brennans crash and he genuinely took a “bad one” …If he feels ok the next day what is there to stop him returning to work like any other employee?

Could not agree more!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Time there was a rule change intoduced regarding riders withdrawing from matches injured then appearing  24 hrs later.

Tom Brennan withdrew from Newcastle v Glasgow then rode for Belle Vue the next evening and now Sam Masters has done the same after pulling out of the Scunthorpe v Edinburgh fixture yesterday. Surely if a rider withdraws injured he must "rest" for so many matches. Yes I know its their income but (Championship) fans are being short changed here.

The problem with a rider having to "rest" after pulling out of a fixture, is that it means more guests being needed! Fans already complain that too many guests are used - with a rule like that a club would be forced to use a guest, while a rider, who's been declared fit, wants to ride!

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fenway Bleachers said:

No, no problems with Sam. He is a legend up here and much loved. I’m sure ice and Ibuprofen  did the job. He has not hidden his distaste for Scunny. 
Glad to see he will be back on form with Josh for Friday when your mob come to Armadale. Should be some fine tussles with him and the good twin!

I was at Scunny on Sunday and can confirm Masters took one heck of a knock on1st bend of ht5, dunno about his track perferences but he easily won Ht1 after blasting from gate 4 like a scalded cat, winning by almost length of the straight....

3 hours ago, Fenway Bleachers said:

Text editor issues, double post....

Edited by martinmauger
text editor issues, double post

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The problem with a rider having to "rest" after pulling out of a fixture, is that it means more guests being needed! Fans already complain that too many guests are used - with a rule like that a club would be forced to use a guest, while a rider, who's been declared fit, wants to ride!

Of course, if two teams in different leagues didnt share riders, then there is no debate to be had..

As they do, you will always have winners and losers from any situation like this..

Sharing riders will always kick out such things on the odd occasion..

Same with Poland. If resting up on a Thursday means being ok for Saturday or Sunday then that is perfectly reasonable from a perspective of someone who is self employed.. 

And in the scenario being discussed..

Someone could pull out of a Div 1 match on a Monday and still be able to "give it a go" at Plymouth on the Tuesday...

I am sure the integrity of both riders in this situation was absolute, and it was just "one of those things" that can happen when teams share employees...

9 hours ago, Pinny said:

Its another in a long list of reasons why the sport isnt taken seriously anymore and why the crowds are so embarrassingly low. 

The new generation of riders just don't give a toss about the fans , simple as that.

To be far the riders of today are only taking advantage of the frankly rubbishe rules that the BSPA/L have introduced over many years.

It was so much better when those who rode for your team only rode for your team & we're happy to chat and have a beer in the bar after the meeting.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

If my Auntie had b0llocks and all that. Starke scored 7 with two heat wins in our win there earlier in the season, same as what R/R got tonight

Difference being though he rode at reserve then and not in the team.

4 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Difference being though he rode at reserve then and not in the team.

Makes no difference considering his points included beating Becker (twice) and Nick Morris as well as Thompson and Jorgensen. He actually retired whilst leading in the reserves race! Would have been a double figure score otherwise. Starke rides Wolves very well, always has. I know fans of losing teams always try and find excuses but you’re clutching at straws here. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Makes no difference considering his points included beating Becker (twice) and Nick Morris as well as Thompson and Jorgensen. He actually retired whilst leading in the reserves race! Would have been a double figure score otherwise. Starke rides Wolves very well, always has. I know fans of losing teams always try and find excuses but you’re clutching at straws here. 

I've made no excuses, just pointed out his riding position was different in the 2 matches. From updates, Ipswich had the match wrapped by heat 14, so seems to be a deserved win.

16 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

I've made no excuses, just pointed out his riding position was different in the 2 matches. From updates, Ipswich had the match wrapped by heat 14, so seems to be a deserved win.

And tbf we will never ever be able to utilise a rider from the top 5 in the way Ipswich did with Riss going to reserve. Its just the way Adams built the side.

Edited by Tommy Sweetman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

And tbf we will never ever be able to utilise a rider from the top 5 in the way Ipswich did with Riss going to reserve. Its just the way Adams built the side.

And that's with the knowledge that Peterborough turfed us out of last year's play off semi using the same tactic. And went on to win that way!

• Like 1