British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
auntie doris

Oxford 2022

Would definitely recommend a visit to Oxford for those fans that dont have a local speedway team to watch. Quite a few Robins fans there from Swindon and district, plus other former nearby clubs such as Reading and Coventry. A few from London and south-east as well. Good stadium, easy access, good facilities, some good racing, and big crowd around 2000 with noisy atmosphere. With Newcastle closing with crowds of less than 400, and general negativity surrounding British league speedway it's good to see this success story in central-southern England.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 6

Totally agree it's as quoted speedway out of the top drawer and regarding the moaners complaining that you can pay on the gate it's easy to book tickets almost self explanatory on the ticket site come see the cheetahs regenerated you'll definitely return 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 1:57 PM, Gtech said:

Totally agree it's as quoted speedway out of the top drawer and regarding the moaners complaining that you can pay on the gate it's easy to book tickets almost self explanatory on the ticket site come see the cheetahs regenerated you'll definitely return 

As far as I know, you can buy tickets on the gate - just have to pay with card and not cash. Haven't tried it myself, mind.

Oxford themselves state: "Tickets will also be available on the gate for each fixture, providing we have not reached capacity through online sales"

Don't see why you just wouldn't buy a ticket online beforehand though (guess the £1 booking fee is a sticking point). Not worth the risk that it sells out and you can't get in.

19 minutes ago, baiden said:

As far as I know, you can buy tickets on the gate - just have to pay with card and not cash. Haven't tried it myself, mind.

Oxford themselves state: "Tickets will also be available on the gate for each fixture, providing we have not reached capacity through online sales"

Don't see why you just wouldn't buy a ticket online beforehand though (guess the £1 booking fee is a sticking point). Not worth the risk that it sells out and you can't get in.

Is it likely to sell out though.What is crowd capacity.

Edited by Fromafar

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Is it likely to sell out though.What is crowd capacity.

Capacity is 2,000 - although it will increase once all the work on the stadium has finished. They've sold out a few fixtures I believe (Scunthorpe, Poole and Glasgow come to mind), and have been close to capacity on most of the others. Redcar at home in the league was probably the worst crowd of the season.

• Thanks 1

You can pay on the night however the person at the gate will explain that you need to scan a QR code that will take you to the ticket site where you go through the same process as any one else there are no card payments other that through the ticket web site 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gtech said:

You can pay on the night however the person at the gate will explain that you need to scan a QR code that will take you to the ticket site where you go through the same process as any one else there are no card payments other that through the ticket web site 

Good to know...not exactly paying at the gate is it?! Hopefully they get that sorted out for next season.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 11:02 AM, baiden said:

Capacity is 2,000 - although it will increase once all the work on the stadium has finished. They've sold out a few fixtures I believe (Scunthorpe, Poole and Glasgow come to mind), and have been close to capacity on most of the others. Redcar at home in the league was probably the worst crowd of the season.

Certainly didn'tT  look anywhere near a sell out judging by the terraces last night.This pushing online tickets gimmick could backfire on them.It not rocket science to open a cash turnstile.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Certainly didn'tT  look anywhere near a sell out judging by the terraces last night.This pushing online tickets gimmick could backfire on them.It not rocket science to open a cash turnstile.

Personally I think it odd that cash/card appears not to be acceptable on the gate? Booking for an attraction online became the norm during COVID but surely things should be getting back to some sort of normality? It's only recently that an arboretum near where I live has again accepted cash/card payments at the door which was madness in that they continued with the policy of booking online for so long...an arboretum for goodness sake!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I didn't go last night, but the amount on the terraces can be a little deceiving. They are limited to only 2,000, so the terraces never look full even when it's sold out.

That said, it wouldn't surprise if the crowd was a little down, chances of reaching the playoffs dwindling/non-existent etc. It will be interesting to see if it picks back up for the Jubilee Trophy.

The online gimmick is still definitely a factor, though. I couldn't go last night, and my old man would have gone on his own if he could have paid on the gate with cash. He didn't fancy buying a ticket online as he's not that comfortable doing it. I'm sure he's not alone in that feeling.

Edited by baiden
typo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, baiden said:

I didn't go last night, but the amount on the terraces can be a little deceiving. They are limited to only 2,000, so the terraces never look full even when it's sold out.

That said, it wouldn't surprise if the crowd was a little down, chances of reaching the playoffs dwindling/non-existent etc. It will be interesting to see if it picks back up for the Jubilee Trophy.

The online gimmick is still definitely a factor, though. I couldn't go last night, and my old man would have gone on his own if he could have paid on the gate with cash. He didn't fancy buying a ticket online as he's not that comfortable doing it. I'm sure he's not alone in that feeling.

But it's not a "gimmick" is it?

To accept cash they would have to build turnstiles,  find/employ volunteers/staff comfortable with or willing to handle cash, security to protect them. Someone has to find a bank branch open and queue to withdraw cash for a float. 

Somewhere secure has to be provided overnight to secure the cash or arrangements made for it to be collected by securicor or similar. 

Then another queue at a bank to deposit the next morning. 

All against downloading an app onto a phone and scanning a QR code.

Card payments are probably down to the charges from the collecting systems - between  around  £1.50 per transaction as they are based around volume - the charges start to fall dramatically once you handle 250,000 transactions. 

I think a lot of clubs envy Oxford's position of handling minimal amounts of cash and the fact that tickets are available online until 15 minutes before start should accommodate last minute decisions. 

2021 post Covid proved the numbers unable to buy tickets online were minimal. Anyone genuinely struggling should contact their clubs directly and I would suggest that in 99% a solution could be found. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

To accept cash they would have to build turnstiles,  find/employ volunteers/staff comfortable with or willing to handle cash, security to protect them. Someone has to find a bank branch open and queue to withdraw cash for a float. 

Somewhere secure has to be provided overnight to secure the cash or arrangements made for it to be collected by securicor or similar. 

Card payments are probably down to the charges from the collecting systems - between  around  £1.50 per transaction as they are based around volume - the charges start to fall dramatically once you handle 250,000 transactions. 

I think a lot of clubs envy Oxford's position of handling minimal amounts of cash and the fact that tickets are available online until 15 minutes before start should accommodate last minute decisions. 

2021 post Covid proved the numbers unable to buy tickets online were minimal. Anyone genuinely struggling should contact their clubs directly and I would suggest that in 99% a solution could be found. 

So what do you think they do with all the cash that is taken from programme, bar and food sales? All of what you say is already in place (bar the turnstiles, but they are hardly a necessity). There's plenty of handling of cash going on by employees inside the stadium.

I'm not against downloading an app onto a phone. In fact you don't even need to do that as it can all be done in a browser. But as I stated, there are people not comfortable doing that (or even not able to do that), so why not provide for them as well?

Edited by baiden
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

What a load of rubbish,as the previous Poster explain.It’s really just a case of Speedway shooting it’s self in the foot again.Berwick at least have cash turnstile,but not to take Cards as a method of payment is poor in this day and age( every other business adapted to suit during Covid).To say it’s due to poor internet connection at Stadium is OK,but surely there is a solution to this.

4 minutes ago, baiden said:

So what do you think they do with all the cash that is taken from programme, bar and food sales? All of what you say is already in place (bar the turnstiles, but they are hardly a necessity). There's plenty of handling of cash going on by employees inside the stadium.

I'm not against downloading an app onto a phone. In fact you don't even need to do that as it can all be done in a browser. But as I stated, there are people not comfortable doing that (or even not able to do that), so why not provide for them as well?

Fine I'm not getting into an argument. 

I genuinely would love to know why, apart from sheer bloody mindedness why anyone would refuse to attend because they cannot pay cash.

Are these people who still get paid weekly in brown envelopes, take their pension books to the post office on a Monday, pay their electricity bills with pound notes and wait for the rent man to call every Friday or have they successfully adapted to change over the years?

As for apps on your phone -great idea and once the cost of developing one has been clawed back potentially a moneymaker but pointless if people then insist on paying cash 

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

What a load of rubbish,as the previous Poster explain.It’s really just a case of Speedway shooting it’s self in the foot again.Berwick at least have cash turnstile,but not to take Cards as a method of payment is poor in this day and age( every other business adapted to suit during Covid).To say it’s due to poor internet connection at Stadium is OK,but surely there is a solution to this.

Not like you to try and stir things. 

We don't  have a card turnstile it's a situation which will  be addressed for next season.  The fact that you don't accept an explanation of fact is neither surprising or especially relevant.