British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

World Finals-who is still alive

Before any of you answer this, it is not to be confused with "The Oldest Surviving World FInalists, which I am also interested (some may say obsessed by) in!!!!

I started by looking at the 1949 World Final-all the riders participating are no longer with us. I then looked at 1950 and indeed there is one rider still around- Arthur Payne. Imagining still being around 72 years after appearing in the World Final. Then in 1951, Dick Bradley pops up- Dick was a reserve, had only one ride but got 2 points-finishing behind Louis Lawson but ahead of Alan Hunt and Norman Parker.. So one survivor from each of 1950 and 1951. By 1952 there were three still with us- Brian Crutcher appears ( 6 points) and Arthur Payne (9) and Dick Bradley (9). Actually I am not sure if Dan Forsberg is still alive. Actually after 3 rides Dick Bradley was joint second with 8 points.. That is as far as I went, hope forumlanders find this of interest-I think its great that these riders are still with us  70 years after appearing in a world final.

• Like 2

Makes me feel old, as I have seen Dick Bradley ride!!! So glad he’s alive and (hopefully) well.

• Like 2

Hi Midland Red-don't feel old -75 is the new 65. Speaking of which as I posted on another thread- I saw Dick's last ever ride in 1965 , it was against Sheffield when he clashed with Clive Featherby (RIP) . Dick was a great rider and more importantly a real gent-one of the old school. He was 40 when he turned in his leathers -which seemed to  me to be  really  old at that time (now it seems young). On another thread I postulated that if Dick hadn't been injured in that first BL season- (and Newport didn't get a replacement )- we could have finished much higher in the League and perhaps champions. Sadly however BL65 in his posts  comprehensively disproved that  suggestion with detailed research and sadly he is right about that (good for you BL65 for your knowledge of that era, I always enjoy your posts.) Dick will be 98 in November and long may he continue. As long as I and many other Newport supporters are on this planet he will always be alive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

On another thread I postulated that if Dick hadn't been injured in that first BL season- (and Newport didn't get a replacement )- we could have finished much higher in the League and perhaps champions.

No chance, BOBBATH. No-one could have beaten the all-conquering Hammers that year! :D

• Like 1

I guess you're on this one Norbold- much as it pains me to admit it,. Newport did beat the Hammers at Somerton Park though- I woz there .42-36 as I recall

It was a season of two halves for the Hammers. Unbeatable after the middle of August, a bit vulnerable before. 

Incidentally, I saw Dick Bradley a few times. Once for Southampton against a "Provincial League Select" at New Cross in 1961. That was the only time I ever saw Southampton.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, norbold said:

No chance, BOBBATH. No-one could have beaten the all-conquering Hammers that year! :D

May be Oxford if Ron How hadn't been injured? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beirao said:

May be Oxford if Ron How hadn't been injured? 

I answered this question in a previous thread about Oxford 1964, started by BOBBATH on July 9, 2021 in Years Gone By.  I concluded that if teams had not been affected by injuries it was likely that Oxford would have finished third instead of fourth in the league table.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BL65 said:

I answered this question in a previous thread about Oxford 1964, started by BOBBATH on July 9, 2021 in Years Gone By.  I concluded that if teams had not been affected by injuries it was likely that Oxford would have finished third instead of fourth in the league table.

While it's all supposition 

A win at West Ham in July instead of a 43-35 defeat;  a win at home to Swindon instead of a 38-40 loss; a win at Poole instead of a 36-42 score and a win at home over Wimbledon, another 38-40  look to be enough for the Cheetahs to win the BL. .... and a further point at Newcastle 39-39 . All supposition but not unlikely if How had been riding. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beirao said:

While it's all supposition 

A win at West Ham in July instead of a 43-35 defeat;  a win at home to Swindon instead of a 38-40 loss; a win at Poole instead of a 36-42 score and a win at home over Wimbledon, another 38-40  look to be enough for the Cheetahs to win the BL. .... and a further point at Newcastle 39-39 . All supposition but not unlikely if How had been riding. 

A lot of ifs but everyone on this forum who was attending meetings in 1965 knows Nobody was going to catch the Hammers once they went on their winning run.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 4:06 PM, norbold said:

It was a season of two halves for the Hammers. Unbeatable after the middle of August, a bit vulnerable before. 

Incidentally, I saw Dick Bradley a few times. Once for Southampton against a "Provincial League Select" at New Cross in 1961. That was the only time I ever saw Southampton.

Did they also meet in 1963, when Pratt beat Knutson?

6 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Yes, 26 July.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2022 at 5:06 PM, norbold said:

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2022 at 11:35 AM, auntie doris said:

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2022 at 11:42 AM, norbold said:

Yes, 26 July.

Sorry to be pedantic but I think Norbold made a rare mistake as there was no Southampton/Provincial League Select match at New Cross in 1961 but only that one in July 1963 and I was also there. I happened to be standing nearby when Knutson and Pratt bumped into each other in the car park before the meeting and Björn greeted Colin with "hello Mister Maximum". So maybe he wasn't that surprised when Pratt beat him later.

Norbold, I'm surprised you didn't see Southampton at Wimbledon in 1962 as many New Cross supporters like myself attended most meetings at Plough Lane that year as there was no speedway at the other South London venue.