British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Oxford vs Plymouth 27/07/22

42 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The major problem being the difference between number 8's and number 8's. What i mean is to tick a box a number 8 can be a local second halfer who will offer zero point scoring threat unless fallers/mechanicals occur (and could be a danger on track if not up to a decent level) vs meaningful number 8's who will want the RR rides and certainly want some financial compensations to stand there on a free evening. 

A number 8 has to be in an NDL declared 1-7 (this from a SCB Referee).  A "local second halfer/wobbler" may be seen as a danger to "experienced" riders, hence the rule.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gating tart said:

Barker 100% failed a drugs test looking at a 2 year ban !

If that’s true he gets what he deserves  if not what your saying is slanderous I think before I wrote that I would have the full facts first unless you were the one doing the drug test

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I’m assuming a trackside drug test gives only a positive or negative result. Then a urine or blood test will determine what the substance is. 
he has been taking painkillers for his injured shoulder.  So if that’s on the ok list he is free to carry on. 
if it’s a painkiller not on the allowed list I’d imagine it’s a short ban or fine

however if it’s a recreational drug he is in deep trouble. But we need to remember he is innocent until proven otherwise. 

Yeah seem to recall Kyle Howarth dad a similar problem through taking prescribed  medication for pain relief and he was, of course, completely exonerated.

If and its a big IF, Ben has taken a banned substance, knowingly or unknowingly, can his previous scores from so many meetings be  be declared null and void? That would give Oxford a 4pt victory and place them in a stronger position in their CJL group.

Speedway is just getting too complicated

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The major problem being the difference between number 8's and number 8's. What i mean is to tick a box a number 8 can be a local second halfer who will offer zero point scoring threat unless fallers/mechanicals occur (and could be a danger on track if not up to a decent level) vs meaningful number 8's who will want the RR rides and certainly want some financial compensations to stand there on a free evening. 

...in the "Good Old Days" they were guarenteed two rides in the old lamented second half.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

A number 8 has to be in an NDL declared 1-7 (this from a SCB Referee).  A "local second halfer/wobbler" may be seen as a danger to "experienced" riders, hence the rule.

Its been proving difficult enough to get the PJL fixtures run with riders from the NDL guaranteed rides, i really can't see a long line of riders prepared to travel all over the country, setup, warm up then load up without even getting a spin out of the kindness of their hearts (ignoring the lost wages, days off etc). 

The only way to realistically prevent events like this is to limit the use of RR to exceptional circumstances only and have guests for the missing rider (guests must have be 10-20% lower average than missing rider)

14 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...in the "Good Old Days" they were guarenteed two rides in the old lamented second half.

There was a lot to be said for the old 2nd halves not least when a reserve spot in the team could be gained.

I've suggested often enough that the old 'rider of the night' should be introduced but with points accumulated over the season with a major prize such as a new bike up for grabs. Make it interesting by awarding bonus points for performances at away tracks or when guesting.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

There was a lot to be said for the old 2nd halves not least when a reserve spot in the team could be gained.

I've suggested often enough that the old 'rider of the night' should be introduced but with points accumulated over the season with a major prize such as a new bike up for grabs. Make it interesting by awarding bonus points for performances at away tracks or when guesting.

...Martin Rogers made some interesting observations about the old style second halves when I put the question to him in "Backtrack" a few years ago.

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

Yeah seem to recall Kyle Howarth dad a similar problem through taking prescribed  medication for pain relief and he was, of course, completely exonerated.

If and its a big IF, Ben has taken a banned substance, knowingly or unknowingly, can his previous scores from so many meetings be  be declared null and void? That would give Oxford a 4pt victory and place them in a stronger position in their CJL group.

Speedway is just getting too complicated

Don’t think anything previous would be taken into consideration.IF that was the case.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t think anything previous would be taken into consideration.IF that was the case.

It can't anyway with no test taken at the previous matches 

• Like 2

I wonder if it was Columbian Marching Powder Ben took last night ,. Whatever it as remember all people are innocent until proven guilty and I’m sure if a refusal to take a test at a meeting then the rider in question is guilty as in other sports , I’m sure Speedway is in line with Sport UK

35 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Having worked with UKAD in other sports testing on blood and urine can give accurate results to how long banned substances have been in the system.

Let's face it only a complete idiot would take anything on a day they were competing not realising or knowing tests reveal what is already there.

Wether speedway authorities wish to act on retrospective info would be another matter.

When it comes to doping I do have hard opinions especially when it comes to motorsports.

Cheating in say athletics is bad enough but when your judgement is impared and other participants lives are at risk  to me that should be a lifetime ban.

• Like 3

Following a random Drug and Alcohol test held at Oxford Speedway on Wednesday, Plymouth's Ben Barker's test proved as a 'Non Negative' result.

Therefore, Mr Barker's SCB Registration has now been suspended until further results have been confirmed from laboratory results expected later next week.

This is on SCB Website

• Like 2

To summarise, results of workplace drug and alcohol testing are defined as one of the following outcomes:

Negative. This means a result below the nominated level used for initial screening.
 Non-negative. This is an initial positive result obtained using a screening device, which is then subject to confirmatory testing by the laboratory.
 Positive. This is where a non-negative screening result has been subsequently confirmed positive by a testing laboratory.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KEITH M said:

Why would Poole fans be at Oxford ??

Why do supporters of any club go to a track that their team isn't racing at? Maybe something to do with enjoying speedway. :rolleyes::drink:

• Like 9