British Speedway Forum

Brian Anderson only rode for Coventry and Oxford in the UK.

Hope Newcastle speedway reopens at some point, unlikely but not impossible!

Edited by 25yearfan

1 hour ago, 25yearfan said:

Brian Anderson only rode for Coventry and Oxford in the UK.

Hope Newcastle speedway reopens at some point, unlikely but not impossible!

He signed and rode for Newcastle after winning the World U21 Championship at Brandon on 30 September 1991. As a result only rode in challenge matches or even match singular.  But the Diamonds were the first club he represented in the UK. Definitely rode at Brough I'm 99% sure. The more informed on here will have details I'm sure.

Can't remember who he replaced (was Dicko injured?) but it was a good Diamonds team that year winning the Gold Cup early in the season with the legendary Bargh/Thorpe 5-1 in the last heat to seal it. Was the season Thorpe and Lamb started at reserve and ended up heat leaders. 

Good memories.  Would be nice to think we could see his son line up for the Diamonds one day but memories are all we've got right now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, enotian said:

He signed and rode for Newcastle after winning the World U21 Championship at Brandon on 30 September 1991. As a result only rode in challenge matches or even match singular.  But the Diamonds were the first club he represented in the UK. Definitely rode at Brough I'm 99% sure. The more informed on here will have details I'm sure.

Can't remember who he replaced (was Dicko injured?) but it was a good Diamonds team that year winning the Gold Cup early in the season with the legendary Bargh/Thorpe 5-1 in the last heat to seal it. Was the season Thorpe and Lamb started at reserve and ended up heat leaders. 

Good memories.  Would be nice to think we could see his son line up for the Diamonds one day but memories are all we've got right now.

You are correct, Brian went to Newcastle for the short period after he won the U21 final. i think he was always scheduled to be a Bee though & the move to Newcastle was one of convenience as he was in the Bees team at the start of the next season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, enotian said:

Thought so. I'm sure I saw him ride for Newcastle at Brough Park against Middlesbrough.

Just aswell Newcastle United are doing very good as if Mr Ashley was still in charge could you imagine how depressing it would be with the toon fighting relegation or even getting relegated last season & the diamonds getting the plug pulled midway through the season... But thankfully the Saudis came in !! Just a pity they never had a bit loose change probably a million or 2 & could have sorted a new speedway venue out for us diamonds supporters 

Edited by Justgotmecpc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Just aswell Newcastle United are doing very good as if Mr Ashley was still in charge could you imagine how depressing it would be with the toon fighting relegation or even getting relegated last season & the diamonds getting the plug pulled midway through the season... But thankfully the Saudis came in !! Just a pity they never had a bit loose change probably a million or 2 & could have sorted a new speedway venue out for us diamonds supporters 

If there were enough Diamond supporters turned up  to matches you might still have Speedway.Football was still well supported when they were struggling.

11 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Nee money in it man!

On 1/15/2023 at 12:07 AM, szkocjasid said:

Watching the Diamonds at Armadale in 2010 & being reminded of how good Bach & Larsen were!

Made me remember how many great Danes the Diamonds had over the Years. What would be their strongest Danish 7?

1. Ole Olsen
2. Kenni Larsen
3. Bjarne Pedersen
4. Kenneth Bjerre
5. Nicki Pedersen
6. Rene Bach
7. Jesper Olsen

Agree 100%

23 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Not so sure they wouldn't have passed the BSPA fit and proper owners test. Mr Grant might have been a shyster but I'm not aware of him running a tyrannical regime of misogyny and homophobia ;)

I know speedway is desperate for investment but you've got to draw a line somewhere. 

#justjealous   

• Sad 1

On 1/16/2023 at 9:25 AM, Fromafar said:

If there were enough Diamond supporters turned up  to matches you might still have Speedway.Football was still well supported when they were struggling.

Did you see the state of the 2022 team & that's not a dig at the riders as they are worth there wage packets After every meeting if they win or loose

Edited by Justgotmecpc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, enotian said:

Not so sure they wouldn't have passed the BSPA fit and proper owners test. Mr Grant might have been a shyster but I'm not aware of him running a tyrannical regime of misogyny and homophobia ;)

I know speedway is desperate for investment but you've got to draw a line somewhere. 

#justjealous   

Could always get someone to front it for them that's a clean person 

On 1/16/2023 at 10:21 PM, enotian said:

#justjealous   

Did you never meet Rob Grant?

As someone once said on here "Just sayin like" (sic)

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
missed out key words
  • Like 2

Just a heads up for anyone interested that the Liquidators Final Statement of Affairs has just been filed at Companies House.

All available funds realised (circa <£5K) gobbled up by liquidation fees and nowt for creditors. Some things don't change.

Apparently HMRC did not file a claim so the alleged VAT arrears have presumably gone to the spirit in the sky!

On 1/26/2023 at 10:49 AM, Aceslider said:

Just a heads up for anyone interested that the Liquidators Final Statement of Affairs has just been filed at Companies House.

All available funds realised (circa <£5K) gobbled up by liquidation fees and nowt for creditors. Some things don't change.

Apparently HMRC did not file a claim so the alleged VAT arrears have presumably gone to the spirit in the sky!

The claim was against the previous owners/promoters not Rob Grant as he liquidated the second business correctly and the VAT liability was against NewSpeed the first one he bought (which he also folded) and as much as I have slated Grant on here the one thing he cant be slated for is not declaring anything to the tax man (sic) originally!!! it was probably his honesty in these matters in the early days that added to his downfall when he first took over the club... However... £5K realised... Aye righto? the tax man may want to revisit that one... HMRC have a very large HUMINT department and it doesn't take much to pique their interest that is for sure... Naughty Rob... (But what's the point)

Sticking with the tax matters and as "minister without portfolio" is finding out much to his chagrin... When Jim Harra (top civil servant in HMRC) was asked about how the term “careless” should be interpreted by the public, Harra told MPs: “Carelessness is a concept in tax law. It can be relevant to how many back years that we can assess, can be relevant to whether someone is liable to a penalty and if so, what penalty they will be liable to for an error in their tax affairs.” While Harra made clear he was "not at liberty to speak directly about an individual’s tax affairs because of confidentiality rules", Blah Blah... I think you will find that a deal has been done that suits all parties and put the VAT issue to bed... however us "Plebs" will never get to find out... and of course "too late was the cry" as the club was going through its death throws long before all the issues broke about the financial mess the place was in...

Very sad and missing it greatly...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Very sad and missing it greatly...

Regards
THJ

You’re not alone there

• Like 2