British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Why Did Riders Adopt Different Styles?

IMO a lot has to do with a rider's height after all most s/way riders are on the whole short in stature , the taller you are the more upright and in some cases awkward your style .Briggo had a less stylish look than say Ivan  ,Doyle has an awkward style to me compared to Zmarzlik  and the likes of Hancock and PK just looked at one with the bike  making it look almost too easy

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jrs said:

And a good book to read tucked into his leathers to pass the time before a race is rerun or any other delays  :)

For me I suppose the prime example of a relaxed armchair rider was Ron How, calmness on the track personified.

Unfortunately I never saw Ron ride...often a forgotten rider but certainly up there with the best in my view based upon statistics and was part of the successful "Cheetahs" side of '64.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

All good reading, but all post war. Why were there different styles pre war ?:P

Looking at the Ogden speedway cards is interesting

Probably the greatest of all the Dirt-Track riders, “Cyclone Billy Lamont” was born in Newcastle, New South Wales. He started racing in 1924 at Maitland, the first track built in Australia, and since that time has broken nearly every record in Australia, besides winning many of the most valuable trophies. Since coming to England to ride for International Speedways, he has broken several of our track records including that of Stamford Bridge. When in action his is without exception the most thrilling rider to watch as he invariably goes into the bends on full throttle.

Jim Kempster for one seems to be a foot forward rider, whereas most are the leg trailer style

Cigarette Card - Speedway Rider 1929, Jim Kempster | Flickr

Edited by iris123

On 8/23/2022 at 9:57 PM, jrs said:

I never knew anyone who rode , that deliberately tried to copy anyones style . If you’re going to make it from junior to fully fledged rider I think you’ll just develop your own style.

I think its doable assuming a similar stature. I know Chris Morton was influenced by Soren Sjosten for example....and whilst he adapted it, it wasn't a bad starter point for the similar stature he was. On the flip side, I'd say guys like Andrew Silver and Simon Stead were unduly influenced by trying to copy an American-style Kelly Moran/John Cook approach and I think it held them both back.

Both were unafraid of going full throttle, but at top level, they over slid around the corners, lost speed and couldn't step up. Kelly in particular could get away with it because he was a real natural and could carry the speed using incredible balance....but its not a style that just anyone should copy. Not everyone is Kelly Moran.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 1

Hougaard was the first modern rider i noticed that had gone retro into a leg trailer sort of style. Maybe that was because of his long legs and the laydown giving him the possibility ?

See here with Jonas Davidson and Risager, who is hidden somewhat

Heat 7: Jonas Davidsson (red), Morten Risager (yellow) and Patrick Hougaard  - Lakeside Hammers vs Belle Vue Aces - Sky Sports Elite League Speedway at  Arena Essex Raceway, Purfleet - 31/07/09 Stock Photo - Alamy

3 hours ago, falcace said:

I think its doable assuming a similar stature. I know Chris Morton was influenced by Soren Sjosten for example....and whilst he adapted it, it wasn't a bad starter point for the similar stature he was. On the flip side, I'd say guys like Andrew Silver and Simon Stead were unduly influenced by trying to copy an American-style Kelly Moran/John Cook approach and I think it held them both back.

Both were unafraid of going full throttle, but at top level, they over slid around the corners, lost speed and couldn't step up. Kelly in particular could get away with it because he was a real natural and could carry the speed using incredible balance....but its not a style that just anyone should copy. Not everyone is Kelly Moran.

I recall that Ivan Mauger was critical of Andrew Silver's style and was rebuked by both Andrew and Uncle Len I remember regarding his comments. Personally I felt his style went against him as he took the bends not in one clean move but I guess that's what made him spectacular to watch although his career did peter out despite a short comeback some years back and he could have achieved a lot more with the right guidance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I recall that Ivan Mauger was critical of Andrew Silver's style and was rebuked by both Andrew and Uncle Len I remember regarding his comments. Personally I felt his style went against him as he took the bends not in one clean move but I guess that's what made him spectacular to watch although his career did peter out despite a short comeback some years back and he could have achieved a lot more with the right guidance.

A great point loved watching Andrew Silver  ride but always believed Martin Dugard was a better rider.He improved so much with the help of Hans Nielsen team riding everything.In a way a way Martin could of ended up as just a Arlington homer  a bully but he was terrific had a great career and finished when he felt the time was right.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

A great point loved watching Andrew Silver  ride but always believed Martin Dugard was a better rider.He improved so much with the help of Hans Nielsen team riding everything.In a way a way Martin could of ended up as just a Arlington homer  a bully but he was terrific had a great career and finished when he felt the time was right.

Martin made a mistake moving back to Eastbourne in my opinion and as Gordon Kennett once said should have spent a winter racing in Australia which would have improved his all round technique as it did Gordon many years previously.

Chris Morton was not a good gater, but if he styled himself on Soren Sjosten-wasn't Soren a really good gater.- so is that true

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Chris Morton was not a good gater, but if he styled himself on Soren Sjosten-wasn't Soren a really good gater.- so is that true

Watched Chris in his year at Elle Port go from a reserve to a full team member  spoke to him at Cardiff when selling bricks for NSS ,gave 5mins even though he was busy "that's the syle all riders should have "

Dudek was another with a different style. Think he has calmed down and developed a relatively normal style nowadays though

Keine Fotobeschreibung verfügbar.

• Like 1