British Speedway Forum
Vicar

Attendances

Hi all,

I wonder why there are no place (at least not that I am aware of) where we can find attendances from British league? I am very interested how it look like. In general in media there is info about spectators in Poland or in Sweden, but nothing about UK. Does anyone knows any average attendances in PL and CL?

32 minutes ago, Vicar said:

Hi all,

I wonder why there are no place (at least not that I am aware of) where we can find attendances from British league? I am very interested how it look like. In general in media there is info about spectators in Poland or in Sweden, but nothing about UK. Does anyone knows any average attendances in PL and CL?

Don,t know but it,s probably in three figures:D

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Vicar said:

Hi all,

Speedway Star used to publish figures many years ago now...not sure why it was dropped although being of cynical mind I'm sure the promoters at the time had something to do with it for whatever reason!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would imagine Glasgow, Poole and sometimes Leicester and Oxford are in 4 figures in the CL, the rest 3 figures. How the teams with big rents manage I don't know

Belle Vue average around 1500 with 2k for the bigger meetings, but can get as low as 1000 for televised, or KL matches

I think the Birmingham head said they were getting 300-500

21 hours ago, Vicar said:

Hi all,

About 150 ,for Tax and VAT reasons.!!

• Haha 1

It’s simple in my mind, attendances are poor now because the racing generally is too often gate and go.

You can have whatever format you like, lovely eye catching race suits, extra match points for a team arriving early. Having the most bonus points or winning despite having the most guests or the Eurosport speciality having the most boring and inept commentator (Ermobollox) but supporters want proper racing and close matches and let’s be fair it’s not too often they see it these days.

The GP,s were very popular not too long ago when around 40,000 did the annual trek to Cardiff despite rip off ticket and hotel prices, but this years debacle in front of just over 20,000 has showed that even GP,s have a duty to entertain or they will die and the powers at be just don’t appear to want or desire to take on board that the racing is key as Wroclaw showed the other Weekend. A proper Grand Prix on a proper race track.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

It’s simple in my mind, attendances are poor now because the racing generally is too often gate and go.

You can have whatever format you like, lovely eye catching race suits, extra match points for a team arriving early. Having the most bonus points or winning despite having the most guests or the Eurosport speciality having the most boring and inept commentator (Ermobollox) but supporters want proper racing and close matches and let’s be fair it’s not too often they see it these days.

Belle Vue produces consistently the best racing week in week out on possibly the best Speedway race track in the world yet can't get anywhere near filling the place. Not surprising really when they stage their event on a night when most people can't get to it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

Belle Vue produces consistently the best racing week in week out on possibly the best Speedway race track in the world yet can't get anywhere near filling the place. Not surprising really when they stage their event on a night when most people can't get to it.

Also, why go when it’s televised or streamed?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Midland Red said:

Also, why go when it’s televised or streamed?

To be fair I do like and prefer the Live experience... but I must say that the way televised matches draaaaaag on with no regard for the attending spectator doesn't encourage people along

• Like 2

It is a close run thing, either watching live and having to put up with a drawn out meeting whilst TV adverts and interviews take place, or watching the meeting on TV with the boring Ermolenko talking rubbish.

This year I have opted to watch the live meeting, as it is expensive throwing bricks at the TV.

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see what the Belle Vue/ British Final attendance will be, finally a Sunday afternoon meeting with the “top” British riders competing. 
It’s what a lot of fans have asked for. 

4 hours ago, BV66 said:

It is a close run thing, either watching live and having to put up with a drawn out meeting whilst TV adverts and interviews take place, or watching the meeting on TV with the boring Ermolenko talking rubbish.

This year I have opted to watch the live meeting, as it is expensive throwing bricks at the TV.

Personally I don't think that speedway comes over very well televised "live". Edited highlights is my personal choice but I'm sure that I am in the minority?

5 hours ago, iainb said:

To be fair I do like and prefer the Live experience... but I must say that the way televised matches draaaaaag on with no regard for the attending spectator doesn't encourage people along

Agree 100% and a chance to catch up with mates on the terraces and have a banter!