British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Swindon Stadium

On 1/8/2024 at 11:38 AM, Toady said:

How about the Monmore,Crayford, and Shawfield as well.

What about Shawfield?

12 hours ago, tyretrax said:

What about Shawfield?

These are just a list of the pathetic names( as a nod to its former status as a speedway )given to the shoe boxes by the developers of the carpark that’s all.

1 hour ago, Toady said:

These are just a list of the pathetic names( as a nod to its former status as a speedway )given to the shoe boxes by the developers of the carpark that’s all.

Shawfield still has the same owners, so it hasn't been given to anyone.

1 hour ago, tyretrax said:

Shawfield still has the same owners, so it hasn't been given to anyone.

The shawfield is a house style on the development along with all the others mentioned that’s all.

9 minutes ago, Toady said:

The shawfield is a house style on the development along with all the others mentioned that’s all.

I think you're confusing Shawfield Stadium, a.k.a. Shawfield Regeneration, with the area of Shawfield.

2 hours ago, tyretrax said:

I think you're confusing Shawfield Stadium, a.k.a. Shawfield Regeneration, with the area of Shawfield.

I was replying to a comment someone made referring to the fact that one of the house styles on the Swindon Stadium housing development was named The Owlerton.              
I merely stated that there were others named after former stadia that once hosted speedway ie Monmore,Crayford,and Shawfield that’s all.

5 hours ago, Toady said:

I was replying to a comment someone made referring to the fact that one of the house styles on the Swindon Stadium housing development was named The Owlerton.              
I merely stated that there were others named after former stadia that once hosted speedway ie Monmore,Crayford,and Shawfield that’s all.

The area known as Shawfield was there before the stadium which it took it's name from.

No doubt it was, just as Monmore green,Owlerton,Crayford et al were there before the stadia named after them.

2 hours ago, Toady said:

I don't think there is a chance in hell that Taylor Wimpy have built houses on a site that they shouldn't have yet. They must develop 100's of these sites a year. I suspect the BS is coming from Tomlinson and his cronies who knew all along that the planning permission wasn't reliant on a fully completed stadium despite what they said from day dot. They are now being challenged on it and are blaming others. Let's hope the rat is voted out this year. 

26 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

I don't think there is a chance in hell that Taylor Wimpy have built houses on a site that they shouldn't have yet. They must develop 100's of these sites a year. I suspect the BS is coming from Tomlinson and his cronies who knew all along that the planning permission wasn't reliant on a fully completed stadium despite what they said from day dot. They are now being challenged on it and are blaming others. Let's hope the rat is voted out this year. 

Correct, The council planning dept knew full well what they agreed at the time and so to did Osborne all he had to do was pay off the speedway which of course he did (to provide a United front) and avoid any save Swindon speedway supporter groups with his motorsport’s project.

Edited by Toady

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Nope not interested, thanks for asking. 

Why comment then !

• Like 1

Would it give the stadium more protection if it was awarded an Asset of Community Value (ACV)? I know it would provide protection if the stadium was sold, but can an ACV stop it being demolished or left standing empty and not used? If this is a way of protecting it it needs a (local?) group such as a speedway fans/parish council/ other groups etc. to organise a campaign to save the stadium. Fans of Reading FC have got an ACV  on their stadium to stop their reckless owner selling it for non-football use. so a precedent has been set, but of course the Reading Borough Council was very willing and quick to award the ACV,. Would the Swindon Council be as willing, though?

"Well I, for one, am shocked"...

Said no one ever.....